Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping a bicycle

Options
  • 30-07-2005 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have some experience shipping a bicycle??? I am going to Holland shortly and I want to buy a bike there, but the point is that I wouldn't like to pay more for the shipping than for the bike.

I know that Aer Lingus makes it for €25. Has anyone made it?

Any other ideas?

PS: I will buy it there because I want a dutch style bike that is impossiblo to find here.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Yes, I have done this with Aer Lingus for friends of mine in Dublin. The easiest way is to take the bike to Schipol on the train (make sure you buy a ticket for the bike - "dagkaart fiets"). Don't travel in rush hour - too chaotic! Or else you can cycle to Schipol the day before, and park the bike outside the front door at Schipolplaza. (this will be okay for one night)

At the airport, you need to pay Aer Lingus 20euro (has it gone up?) at the their ticket desk - they'll give you a receipt which you then bring, together with the bike, to the oversized baggage counter (on the same floor, about 2 mins away from the Aer Lingus check in desks). For a further 20e, they will provide you with a box for the bike so that it does not get damaged in transit. I've never availed of this option, nothing has ever been damaged, but I think if you take this risk you will not get any compensation if the bike is damaged.

The guys in the oversized baggage are really helpful, as you can imagine there are loads of people bringing bikes out of Holland so they know what to do - at this point you just need to let some of the air out of the tyres and make sure they put a "fragile" sticker on the bike. And that's it really.

In Dublin airport, one of the baggage staff will bring the bike to the baggage carousel of the Amsterdam flight - Make sure you keep your eyes out because the bike can be left there before all the other baggage arrives, and it's not locked, so somebody could steal it.

If you want any info on where to buy a "cheap" bike in Amsterdam, PM me, and let us know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Hi,

My brother brought a bike back for me from France... He was on a short trip and had only hand luggage on the way out. The bike was boxed and he just checked it in like normal. Didnt have to pay anything extra because he didnt go over his 25kg allocation :)

...which was nice

Advertisement