Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Duplicate device error & 2 more problems

• 30-07-2005 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever come across this error when installing a device -

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)"

My mates wireless Netgear adapter isn't working and this code is coming up in the properties of the adapter in Device Manager. Microsofts reason for the error is -

"A duplicate device was detected. This error occurs when a bus driver erroneously creates two identically named children (bus driver error), or when a device with a serial number is discovered in a new location before it is removed from the old location.

Restart the computer.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard."

Microsofts answer to the problem doesn't work, its not even a proper solution. I've uninstalled all the USB drivers on the system and let windows reinstall them, this didn't work.
    He's using XP Pro.

Another problem I'm experiencing on my own PC is the icon for my MP3's is set to the default Windows icon (see default_file_icon.jpg attached). I use Winamp as my default media player & I upgraded to the new version the other day and ever since the icon has been like that, under Winamps options I've selected an icon but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas?

My last problem is in MSPaint whenever a dialog box (for saving a file) comes up the font in the box isn't readable (see paint_dialog_box_problem.jpg attached). I don't use Paint that often but I'd still like to fix the problem.

Anyone got any ideas on the above?
    Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

stephen p wrote:
    Another problem I'm experiencing on my own PC is the icon for my MP3's is set to the default Windows icon (see default_file_icon.jpg attached). I use Winamp as my default media player & I upgraded to the new version the other day and ever since the icon has been like that, under Winamps options I've selected an icon but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas?

Got this sorted, I just uninstalled Winamp and reinstalled it. Simple as that :rolleyes:

Advertisement