Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where will Owen go?

• 30-07-2005 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Now that Real Madrid Have signed both Rubinho and "the beast" Baptista what will happen to Owen?

My guess is that unless Luxembergo is planning to offload either Raul or Ronaldo Owens days are numbered.

In a world cup year Owen can hardly afford to sit on the Bench, with players like Rooney, Defoe, Crouch (Don't Laugh) and probably Johnson playing regular football.

So I would imagine a move back to the premiership is on the cards.

Where do you all think He will go and why?

Where will Owen go? 80 votes

Back to Liverpool
    0%
    Man Utd
    21%
    PiEsegadreamcastDcullyCyrusThe_B_ManThumper LongOrielp.peteWaster20 Times 20 TimesgalwaydudecruiserweightHashSlingingBrian017jemsusannaDaemonic 17 votes
    Arsenal
    30%
    KulganJimi-SpandexastrofoolyopTöpherChongmilltownSpace CoyoteEKRIUQjesus_thats_greAngelofFireStickyMcGintytreefingersphenomDraupnirHeadshotBoard@Workianomccabeziggyadox 24 votes
    Newcastle
    15%
    gandalfPepe LeFritsvorbisLizardKingjankmoshpit77RuggieBearPacificothejollyrodgerapplehuntercashbackNecronomicon 12 votes
    Everton
    12%
    Ping Chow Chimike65Drag00n79evilhomerVillainquarrymanBig NellyJuan PabloCulchierandomfella 10 votes
    Stay Put
    5%
    PHBWashoutThird_Echelonemertoff 4 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    16%
    SerbianThanx 4 The FishMakavelirobz150eirebhoyBig EarsDavey DevilKingp35Jivin TurkeyDoctorEdgeWildandyman[Deleted User]~Rebel~ 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Yeah it certainly appears that Owen is on his way out which I feel is quite harsh becasue he did ok with Real last season with limited chances. IMO it should be Raul or Ronaldo going, Raul has been off form for the past few seasons and Ronaldo has been either brilliant or very poor.

I can't see any of the top 3 English sides taking him.... Liverpool would be most likely but they've signed Crouch and have 6 strikers now so I think that rules them out. I would love to see him join Everton but despite the fact Everton have money, his stint at Liverpool will rule that out.

AC Milan? Owen to replace Crespo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Arsenal
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Stay Put
    I thought Owen was an Everton fan anyway?

AC Milan have replaced Crespo with two top quality strikers, Gilardino and Vieri, he won't be wanted there.
    I think his best bet is to stay at Real and fight for his place, but I doubt that'll happen, so I'd imagine Arsenal might be alikely destination. That said, perhaps Fergie will rekindle his interest in him, and offload Saha or something. Hope not though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

he may well come back cos baros is off on his way but i'd say chelsea might grabhim...or maybe ac milan cos crespo did good things there and he's back at the bridge now so who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Everton
    AC Milan? Owen to replace Crespo?
    Don't forget Milan bought Vieri and Gilardino in the close season. I don't see him joining ManU. They have enough strikers as it is. I think it would be a great move for Chelsea if they bought him but I don't expect them to. I would think maybe Arsenal or perhaps... Newcastle — I could see him playing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Newcastle
    I think the two most likely would be Arsenal or United. But I'm betting on Arsenal. I definately think he will go somewhere.

yeah thats right milan bought them 2 lads...bolton possibly??

Everton
    I don't see Bolton being able to afford him. Nor would he want to play for them.

is he still a big game player he did do well in spain granted but i don't think the hype is quite the same as when he left england is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Arsenal
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Arsenal
    Owen will go to Man u

i'm not sure if he is has 20 goals a season in him thats why i said bolton

Everton
    jcoote wrote:
    is he still a big game player he did do well in spain granted but i don't think the hype is quite the same as when he left england is it?
    I think he is a class act. I wish Liverpool would try to get him back but I don't think Rafa is too keen. It was only when I was doing out my fantasy football team the other day it dawned on me that Henry is the only world-class goalscorer in the Prem. The only one you can rely on to score no matter what. I think Owen would be a prolific goalscorer no matter who he played for.

Just heard on 2FM sports news there that Schalke have agreed a fee for Baros.

oh good man any amount mentioned?? i think owen was useless in his last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Everton
    He's too young. Maybe in 10 years time......

:D (Sam needs evidence of a free travel pass before he signs someone!)

I'd love to see him back at Anfield but even with Baros gone thats still Morientes, Crouch, Cisse, FSP, Mellor (unless he goes on loan/sold) plus Le Tallac (though he's not a lead striker for me) all fighting for two places at most.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

For 5m i keep hearing, biggest joke ive ever heard in my life. Id love to see owen back at liverpool too, top class.
    jcoote wrote:
    oh good man any amount mentioned?? i think owen was useless in his last year

Useless? he was the top scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Everton
    I think Newcastle will go for him. We are really, really stuck for a top class striker and Owen would fit the bill nicely if he can continue his goal scoring record from last year.
    Plus He would be almost gurenteed a starting place in the first team if He was fit. Which is exactly what He needs ahead of the World Cup.

Other then that I can only see Arsenal getting Him.
    He would have to be a proper mercenary to go to Man Utd.

Chelsea is always an option, but I doubt they would be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Atari Jaguar
    Yeah, should have voted Newcastle myself. If they had £25m to pay for Rooney last season surely they'll pay around £8m for Owen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Well, what d chelsea have now? Drogba, Crespo, Gudjohnson...Cole? I think Owen to chelsea is the biggest possibility if he goes anywhere, but its all down to whether or not they think they're strong enough with what they have.

Everton
    Well, what d chelsea have now? Drogba, Crespo, Gudjohnson...Cole? I think Owen to chelsea is the biggest possibility if he goes anywhere, but its all down to whether or not they think they're strong enough with what they have.

Chelsea's system only requires one striker, So I would Imagine that three for the one position is enough even for Chelsea.

Shaun Wright-Philips can also play up front.

I think (And I could be wrong) the next striker that Chelsea will sign will be someone like Adriano, Schevchenko, Trezuguet, etc...
    They want someone who will score a lot of goals in europe. IMHO.

• Advertisement

yeah i think chelsea will be thinkin champions league when looking for a goal scorer and i don't think owen has it tbh..adrianno would be the man i do believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Atari Jaguar
    evilhomer wrote:
    Owen's record in Europe is incredible.

I think Owen will stick it out for another year, and in fact it could be Raul or Ronaldo that makes way.

He is still a class act, always has been, despite "being useless" in his last season he still hit 16 goals in 29 games :rolleyes:

The fact that its a world cup year doesnt matter, if he is fit he will start for England regardless of his club situation. He is the best striker England have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Man Utd
    I think he'll do a Rushie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Newcastle
    evilhomer wrote:
    Chelsea's system only requires one striker, So I would Imagine that three for the one position is enough even for Chelsea.

Shaun Wright-Philips can also play up front.

I think (And I could be wrong) the next striker that Chelsea will sign will be someone like Adriano, Schevchenko, Trezuguet, etc...
    True, they were at their best with the 1 up front last season. With Crespo back I think Owen would be surplus to requirements, but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

personally, i wouldnt mind seeing him at united. it would spell the end of saha, but he has proven pedigree in the premiership and has a great relationship with rooney. he wouldnt cost too much, 8-10m perhaps and would fit into the quick, flowing man united attack fergie is trying to build with the new batch of talent!

Everton
    I'm surprised "staying put" is currently the most popular option in the poll, yet no one has yet posted stating this. Surely, this is the least likely scenario after the Real purchases this week.

Stay Put
    Chelsea have tried to sign all the big name strikers and failed, none of them will either be sold or want to go to Chelsea, hence why Crespo wasn't sold.
    Owen would be a great buy for Chelsea if they didn't play 4-3-3, but Owen doesn't have the strength to be a lone front man.

Atari Jaguar
    Shamrok wrote:
    I'm surprised "staying put" is currently the most popular option in the poll, yet no one has yet posted stating this. Surely, this is the least likely scenario after the Real purchases this week.
    I said it, and I think he will.

I cant see him leaving before January anyway unless he is told flat out that he isnt needed. I would imagine he would see it as a personal failure to just leave after one year. He was content to force his way into the side last year from the bench, I dont see what has changed this year.

Stay Put
    The signing of two strikers

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    PHB wrote:
    The signing of two strikers
    But Figo is out of the picture now. So there is only a net gain in attacking personnel of one.

Particularly given a club like Madrids track record with signings, how do we know Luxemburgo even wants these players?

Stay Put
    Sorry, how is Figo out of the picture?
    He is still there

So even if Owen had pushed himself ahead of Figo, thats still being fought over.
    Then Baptista and Robinho are involved.

Whether Luxemburgo wants them or not is another question, he has them, and will use them

Everton
    But Figo is out of the picture now. So there is only a net gain in attacking personnel of one.

Particularly given a club like Madrids track record with signings, how do we know Luxemburgo even wants these players?
    I agree with you that Ronaldo's departure would be no surprise and that could see him staying put, but the lad seems to want to return home according to all reports.

Atari Jaguar
    PHB wrote:
    Sorry, how is Figo out of the picture?
    He is still there
    Because he was told he can leave for free, he said if no one comes in he will stay and fight for his place, but Luxemburgo has said he is not in his plans.
    PHB wrote:
    So even if Owen had pushed himself ahead of Figo, thats still being fought over. Then Baptista and Robinho are involved.
    Owen is ahead of Figo its not being fought over. Owen is more settled now which will help him this year. Im not saying he is definitely going to lead the line from start to finish, but he is not the type of player to pack his bags at the first bit of competition as demonstrated last year.
    PHB wrote:
    Whether Luxemburgo wants them or not is another question, he has them, and will use them
    Can we not apply this logic to Michael Owen? Or does he fall out of this net for some reason?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Newcastle
    What does Figo have to do with Michael Owen staying at Real Madrid? Since when did they play in the same position?

Even if Raul is played out of position, Owen will be fourth choice striker behind Ronaldo, Robinho and Baptista. If he stays, he may as well give up on any WC2006 hopes.

Newcastle
    I voted for Arsenal, though in truth he could join any of the top premiership teams. Great player, not so sure he'll be what Arsenal need though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Arsenal
    I would love to Michael at Man U with roon and RVN. I think the signing of Baptista rules out RVN going to Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Newcastle
    I think he might hang around Reál for another season if he doesnt get a top club in England. Man Utd or Arsenal I reckon if he does go

Atari Jaguar
    kaids wrote:
    What does Figo have to do with Michael Owen staying at Real Madrid? Since when did they play in the same position?
    Michael Owen got into the team towards the end of last season at the expense of Figo. Madrid adpoted their style accordingly.
    kaids wrote:
    Even if Raul is played out of position, Owen will be fourth choice striker behind Ronaldo, Robinho and Baptista. If he stays, he may as well give up on any WC2006 hopes.
    Owen will start for England in the World Cup (assuming he is fit) regardless of his club situation. I mean who is going to take his place? Crouch? Vassell? Heskey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Arsenal
    He was content to force his way into the side last year from the bench, I dont see what has changed this year.

What's changed this year is that he is crazy to come home to england. Might be seen to be a personal failure to go back to Liverpool but not to another northern english club :cool:

Newcastle
    Michael Owen got into the team towards the end of last season at the expense of Figo. Madrid adpoted their style accordingly.

Owen will start for England in the World Cup (assuming he is fit) regardless of his club situation. I mean who is going to take his place? Crouch? Vassell? Heskey?
    Are they now going to adopt their style to play 5 strikers?

If Owen isn't playing next season he won't start in the World Cup. All it takes is one of his rivals to have a good season and he's out. Defoe would seem the most likely candidate at the moment.

• Advertisement

kaids wrote:

If Owen isn't playing next season he won't start in the World Cup. All it takes is one of his rivals to have a good season and he's out. Defoe would seem the most likely candidate at the moment.

Defore isnt proven at international level, owen is the best striker england have, hes never going to be dropped for the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Newcastle
    He had better not go to Arsenal anyway, i'm already less than impressed with him. I don't mind if he comes back to us but if he goes to Man U it might make me angry, and you won't like it when i'm angry!

Newcastle
    Davei141 wrote:
    Defore isnt proven at international level, owen is the best striker england have, hes never going to be dropped for the world cup.
    Time to state the obvious: the world cup is a year away.

Atari Jaguar
    kaids wrote:
    I dont know. Whats your point? My point was just in response to your question about the relevance of Figo's situation to MO.
    kaids wrote:
    He will, he is vice-captain of the team. Himself and Beckham are assured starting berths if fit regardless of club situation.

Owen was not playing regularly at the beginning of last season but yet captained England in a competitive match. In fact he had played five full games for England by the middle of October but only a little over 200 minutes for RM (just over two full games). He WC place is assured.

Newcastle
    I dont know. Whats your point? My point was just in response to your question about the relevance of Figo's situation to MO.
    I think my point is blindingly obvious.
    He will, he is vice-captain of the team. Himself and Beckham are assured starting berths if fit regardless of club situation.

Owen was not playing regularly at the beginning of last season but yet captained England in a competitive match. In fact he had played five full games for England by the middle of October but only a little over 200 minutes for RM (just over two full games). He WC place is assured.
    He came quite close to losing his spot back then. The media were calling for it but Sven instead tried to accomodate both Defoe and Owen. Owen looks like he'll play even less next season, instead of having to compete with Ronaldo and Raul for places he'll have to compete with Robinho and Julio Baptista too. Zidane has to be accomodated in an attacking role somewhere also.

Meanwhile, Defoe is soon to turn 23 will probably be banging them in regularily for a fancied Spurs. If Owen sits in the stands or on the bench all season he won't even be match fit next summer.

Atari Jaguar
    kaids wrote:
    He came quite close to losing his spot back then. The media were calling for it but Sven instead tried to accomodate both Defoe and Owen.
    This demonstrates my point on Owen's untouchability.

Im not saying that he shouldnt be dropped, Im just saying that SGE will not do it.
    kaids wrote:
    Owen looks like he'll play even less next season, instead of having to compete with Ronaldo and Raul for places he'll have to compete with Robinho and Julio Baptista too. Zidane has to be accomodated in an attacking role somewhere also.
    Last year he competed with Ronaldo, Raul, Morientes, and Figo. Morientes is gone. Figo is out of the managers plans. Robinho and Baptista are in. Owen will still get plenty of opportunity to play if he stays.
    kaids wrote:
    Meanwhile, Defoe is soon to turn 23 will probably be banging them in regularily for a fancied Spurs. If Owen sits in the stands or on the bench all season he won't even be match fit next summer.
    I admit Defoe slipped my mind. He is the only player who could currently touch the current England front two (apart from someone like Crouch who provides an additional option). That said, even if Defoe has a storming season, I still think SGE will persist with MO as his record speaks for itself.

Everton
    kaids wrote:

Have to agree with you kaids, there are plenty of International matches between now and the World Cup for Defoe to prove himself (or Crouch for that matter).

I'm not going to say that Owen won't make the England Squad, I believe He will be on the plane rergardless (He is a class act). But if He doesn't play regular football this season He won't start in June, simple as that.

Newcastle
    This demonstrates my point on Owen's untouchability.

Im not saying that he shouldnt be dropped, Im just saying that SGE will not do it.
    That's probably a fair assessment, however I think it could also show that, at that point in time, he couldn't decide between the two and had to play them both. Suggesting that Defoe is close to Owen, so he'll need to be looking over his shoulder this season.
    Last year he competed with Ronaldo, Raul, Morientes, and Figo. Morientes is gone. Figo is out of the managers plans. Robinho and Baptista are in. Owen will still get plenty of opportunity to play if he stays.
    It's hardly a direct swap in players though. Forgetting about Raul for a second, Owen will still be stuck behind 3 Brazillian strikers (managed by a Brazillian manager where there seems to be a bit of bias).

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. We've both got our views and they obviously aren't going to change. We could go round and round in circles and never get anywhere, but I think it's time to go out and get half steamed instead :)

Atari Jaguar
    kaids wrote:
    We could go round and round in circles and never get anywhere, but I think it's time to go out and get half steamed instead :)
    Very wise words, apart from with the GF away it will be full steam ahead for some of us ;)

kaids wrote:
    It's hardly a direct swap in players though. Forgetting about Raul for a second, Owen will still be stuck behind 3 Brazillian strikers (managed by a Brazillian manager where there seems to be a bit of bias).

Well, if real lose their first match they will have a new manager. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement