Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where will Owen go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Arsenal
    Man utd for sure no two ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Arsenal
    I choose United myself..

I don't think Rafa would pick him up but I would like to see him go back to Liverpool. Owen/Cisse and Crouch/Moro would be decent pairings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sky Sports have just announced Real have said Owen can go.

Neal Collins of the Evening Standard has stated that one of the main reason Gerrard decided to stay was that Owen was to return. Now, I don't want to get into the whole Gerrad debate again, so I'm just stating what was said.

And with the Baros sale to Schalke nealy complete except for the transfer fee to be sorted, maybe Owen could be back sooner rather than later.

As long as Real don't ask for crazy money, he could be back at Anfield before the start of the season. Worst case, Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Everton
    I wonder if we could get him on loan with a buy option in January? I'm not sure if we can afford an outlay of £10m-£12m at the moment. Is Bannor about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Stay Put
    Sorry but would Owen want to go back to Liverpool?

He knows they can't win the PL next season, and it'll be very difficult for Liverpool to challenge for the title in the next three years.
    I would not write it off with Rafa around, but its unlikely they will be able to achieve the same success they did last year in the CL.
    So nothing much would have changed since he left, which was because he wanted to win trophies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Everton
    The best reason to buy back Owen (possibly starting with a season loan) is so he does'nt score goals against Liverpool. Logic says better to spend to prosper rather than not spend and say finnish 5th again rather than 4th cos he scored the wining goals in two games for, I dunno Arsenal or Newcastle.

Mike.

Everton
    Very close to trolling there, PHB :rolleyes:. As regards the Prem next season, I would think it is unlikely that it is going anywhere apart from Stamford Bridge again. However, I would not be naive enough to say Liverpool could not win it in the next three years. I think under Rafa that is a distinct possibility.

Stay Put
    How is it close to trolling?
    Just like I wouldn't think Ronaldinho is going to jump ship and join Man Utd, I wouldn't expect Owen to leave Real Madrid for Liverpool.

Everton
    PHB wrote:
    How is it close to trolling?
    More of your anti-Liverpool tripe. "He knows they can't win the PL next season". How do you know what he knows? One thing is for sure, he knows now that he should have signed his contract extension last year at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Arsenal
    I got word today that Parry will be meeting with Real Madrid to discuss the possibility of taking Owen on a year long loan to Liverpool. How true this is i don't know but the source is usually reliable. He says the transfers this season mean that the money isn't there to buy Owen but a loan deal with a view to a permanent move might suit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Atari Jaguar
    I think Owen should stay put and fight for his place even if Real already have Raul, Ronaldo, Robinho and Portillo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Newcastle
    and Baptista!

Stay Put

More of your anti-Liverpool tripe. "He knows they can't win the PL next season". How do you know what he knows? One thing is for sure, he knows now that he should have signed his contract extension last year at Liverpool.

I doubt he sees it that way.
    How do I know that he knows? Cause he is a professional footballer, might have some idea of how the game works
    I think he wants to challenge for silverware every single year for the rest of his career, as he is a very high quality striker

Arsenal
    I see your point PHB but you've gotta see things from his point of view. Who is to say that Benitez wont bring the good times back to Liverpool (some might say he already has). I'm sure Owen would regret leaving if this was the case, anyone would its only natural.

He does want to challenge for silverware, every player does but i know he wouldn't go to a chelsea or an arsenal where the whole place is overrun by foreigners. He would return to Liverpool and play for Man u or Liverpool where some of his best mates are playing.

Everton
    PHB wrote:
    I doubt he sees it that way.
    What other way is there to see it. After the what Liverpool won last year, the guy is bound to have had regrets not being part of it. Furthermore, an improvement in Liverpool is distinctly clear for all to see.

There is no point challenging for silverware if you cannot start on the team — which is increasingly likely next year at Real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Arsenal
    Word has it that Gerrard only signed his contract with the understanding that Owen would be re-signed for Liverpool.

I cant see him returning to the pool myself.If he goes anywhere I fancy it will be to Old Trafford.

Going back to Liverpool would be a step backwards imo.

Sure they won the champions league last season,but they have no chance of repeating that and also no chance of challenging for the premiership either.

Flame suit on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i would like to see him at Arsenal. an Owen/Henry partnership up front would be fantastic, but chose Atari Jaguar as i really cant predict an outcome to this

Stay Put
    I'd agree, but if his choices were:

Stay at Real and play a smaller role in a title/CL/Cup challenge

Go to Liverpool where the focus will be on reducing the gap between the top 3 and Liverpool, assuming they secure 4th, which they should.

I'd imagine the type of person he is would choose the former role and try to break through.
    That said, you never know because I'm sure liverpool are close to his heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

well if his only interest his winning titles i cant see him joining united.

I wouldnt be too suprised to see him at arsenal, united, chelsea liverpool or even newcastle. Wouldnt be suprised to see him stay at real either.

A loan deal to liverpool would be handy. WOuldnt cost alot of money and we can see how he performs, and the other strikers. The fact hes a world class striker would be good to have him a liverpool aswell. If he does sign for someone and gets regular games he will bang the goals in left right and centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Atari Jaguar
    vorbis wrote:
    and Baptista!

Baptista can play in a variety of positions.

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    It is ironic that United supporters are saying he won't go to Liverpool because it is unlikely they will challenge for the title next season, yet half of them are suggestion he will go to United.. Is it safe to assume that ye are saying United are going to genuine contenders next season...

Because if you are, its a laughable statement. Chelsea are the out and out favourites and none of the large clubs who have challenged this decade have made signings to improve their side for next season other than Liverpool and Chelsea.

Arsenal have signed Hleb but lost Vierra... They will still finish second but they will be weaker for the loss of VIera

Who of note have United signed this season.. Ruud may be back from injury but it is gonna take sometime to regain the form that we know he is capable of. That is if he ever regains it.. United were somewhat impotent in front of goal last season and this will have to change one way or the other.. I honestly can't see them challenging the top 2..

As for Liverpool, well they have made plenty of signings and are showing some potential. But it is impossible to say how it will work out and reasonable goal would be to finish ahead of United this season, close behond Arsenal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Arsenal
    Is it safe to assume that ye are saying United are going to genuine contenders next season...

Yes I am at least.

Sure Chelsea are clear favourites for the title next season,but even without my United goggles on its clear to me that the title is between Chelsea,United and Arsenal. :)

Everton
    Chelsea will walk it because ManU and Arsenal will drop even more points than last year IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Chelsea wont walk anything, i can see it being very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Everton
    It's been said in many threads now, but I will say it again anyway.

United just don't have the midfield to compete this year.
    Scholes and Keane can't play 38 full games and be as effective as they were 3-4 years ago.
    If united had signed a couple of world class central midfielders then yes I could see them compete, but other then that they will just be hoping to pip Arsenal to automatic qualifacation for the champions league next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Newcastle
    chelski have all the name but arent a team. with all those new players its going to take a while to gell. who is exactly the best 11 ?

Man Utd have a decent enough team if they offloaded Saha, Kleberson, Neville and bought Owen.

They could do very well if they got their team sorted out in the beginning and get off to a great start. Keane was having a go at Fergie for not buying a decent midfielder to replace himself. Its criminal IMO. Like he is hardly going to rely on Josh and Miller :D ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

chelski have all the name but arent a team. with all those new players its going to take a while to gell. who is exactly the best 11 ?

what makes you think they arent a team? They gelled extremely well last year i thought.. If any one hasnt gelled it seems to be united. I cant see the rest of the players being happy about rio attitude.

Chelsea have signed 2 players havent they? Del horno and SWP, same as united have signed 2. I dont see how 2 signings will affect the rest of the team.

Arsenal
    Chelsea do not need to gel this season.. They are going to have the exact same backbone as last season and the players they signed allow for rotation. They are gonna play the exact same system, or something very similar, as last season..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Man Utd
    owen will not play in anfield this season, even if he does I will be waiting with my tomatoes.

Medals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHHAAHHAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA twat

Everton
    Paul Tomkins has written another excellent article on this today. Obviously it's very much from a Liverpool viewpoint but the lad makes a lot of sense yet again.

The arrival of two new Brazilian strikers has certainly cast doubt on Michael Owen's future at Real Madrid. His days in Spain are almost certainly numbered. So where next? Liverpool have first option, but is Rafa inclined to act upon it?

I am sure Rafa rates him highly –– everyone in the game does. But that's different to feeling he needs him. He has other problems to contend with.

Would Owen choose to go to Manchester United, as widely speculated, given they already have established first choice strikers in Ruud van Nistelrooy and Wayne Rooney? I'd hate to see Owen at United, but I wouldn't blame him for going there, unless he also had the option to return to Anfield –– in which case the act of snubbing Liverpool would naturally smart.

A return to Liverpool would be the 'easy' option. But if Rafa isn't prepared to make a move, then it would make sense for Owen to join the best club which does show an interest; United have the added attraction of being close to his roots in Chester.

We need to be realistic: he's not going to come back and play for Newcastle if he has the chance to join United. I'm sure he doesn't want to upset the feelings of Liverpool supporters, but he's not going to torpedo his own career to stop us feeling miffed, and I for one wouldn't expect him to.

Owen took a chance by going to Real Madrid, and it hasn't worked out, through no real fault of his own; his impressive record shows that he didn't fail, merely that he didn't get a full chance to impress.

While he will have been envious when watching the Reds lift the European Cup, it highlights his class as an individual that he still outscored all Liverpool's strikers, despite playing on the right on occasions, and being stuck on the bench for most of the season. He will have learned a lot from the experience, both as a person and as a player. Training and playing with such great players will have helped his technique, and from Ronaldo he'd have learned that if you eat too many pies your shorts will no longer fit.

I don't see it as a problem to have to sell Owen for £8m in 2004 and buy him back a year later for £12m; ultimately, if Rafa feels Owen can add £12m of value to the team and has the funds, he'll take the plunge, especially as you still find it hard to get a player of Owen's calibre for such a meagre fee.

Owen was free to Liverpool in the first place, so the club could re-sign him for £12m, get another six years out of him, and for an overall net transfer fee of £4m the club would have a total of 13 years of service. Would that be financially reckless? Hardly. I still think £12m for Owen is a steal.

System
    Does Michael Owen fit into Benítez' system? We cannot expect Rafa to sign a player, however good, if he does not provide what the team is looking for. Nor can we expect him to sign a player merely to stop that player joining a rival.

Let's get one thing clear: while never predictable enough to stick rigidly to one formation, Benítez' preferred system is one striker, supported by three attacking players (nominally midfielders, but possibly strikers shifted wide or deep). As with Milan Baros, Owen doesn't necessarily suit that system –– at least in terms of being the lone striker.

But unlike Baros, Owen offers an extra element of class: more proven, more reliable. Perhaps as his manager you'd make more effort to find him a role? Owen is English, used to both the club and the Premiership, and has a special understanding on the pitch with Steven Gerrard and a close bond with Jamie Carragher. These are all additional plus points that you just can't find anywhere else.

Enough strikers?
    Rafa has said that he's now looking for a centre-back and a right winger. He's spent a fair amount of money, and both of these positions need a solution that may not prove cheap. Rafa may want Owen; but he may also feel that he doesn't need him.

Would making a move for Owen be like paying to have plastic surgery when in more urgent need of a heart bypass and a hip replacement?

Judged purely as individuals, Owen is a superior player than Crouch in terms of reputation and career statistics. But Crouch is a better 'fulcrum', and that was Rafa's first priority: a player to bring others into the game.

However, if you're looking for players to feed off of Crouch, there can be few better options than Owen. The two have played one senior professional game together; Owen scored a hat-trick. The arrival of Crouch ahead of Owen was seen as an either/or situation by many fans. But in a funny way, Crouch's arrival makes a move for Owen all the more logical.

With Baros almost certain to bid the club farewell, it will leave only three fully established strikers (plus three understudies in Pongolle, Le Tallec and Mellor); and top clubs tend to prefer four, sometimes even five main men in the squad. (Having said that, with many teams frequently playing only one up front, having more than three strikers in the squad seems less crucial.)

I expected there to be a lot of takers for Baros; so far there's just Schalke 04 and Aston Villa –– hardly inspiring, and neither is prepared to offer more than £6m. Why? Do other managers share Benítez' doubts? It certainly appears so.

Loaning Baros to Schalke 04 would be pointless, as in a year's time he'll be just 12 months from a Bosman, so his value will drop markedly. You could save £3m in wages in that time, but lose £4m in transfer value.

Formations
    Last year Rafa played 4-4-2 on quite a few occasions, but it didn't tend to work too well. When Baros and Cissé led the line together, neither was able or inclined to hold up the ball, with both looking to play on the shoulder of the last defender.

The arrival of Morientes offered a nice alternative, with his inclination to drop deep and link play, but he wasn't sharp enough and struggled to adapt, and that –– coupled with Baros' poor form in front of goal after December –– meant the formation may not have been to blame, merely the failure of individuals.

Occasionally two out-and-out goalscorers will work as a pairing, but it's rare. Sometimes you think quality will prevail –– stick two top strikers side-by-side and it will take care of itself –– but even Rush and Aldridge couldn't pull it off, and nor could Owen and Fowler.

The times when 4-4-2 is most successful is when you have two contrasting, complimentary styles: the target man alongside the nippy trickster, or the poacher alongside the feeder.

Toshack and Keegan were the perfect example of the former, and, for a season, Heskey and Owen looked equally devastating. It's easy to see Owen and Crouch working together, especially as Crouch's flicks and headers are more thoughtful and controlled than Heskey's. But maybe Rafa already has such an option, in Crouch and Cissé –– and the early evidence was very promising in Lithuania.

But it's the unison of a quick goalscorer/poacher being fed from deep which seems most effective. Dalglish and Rush; Beardsley with Aldridge, Lineker and Andy Cole; Sheringham with Shearer and Cole; and Bergkamp with Wright, Anelka and Henry. These are all examples of a deep-lying creator supplying a 20-40 goal a season man.

It also helps if the creator can score goals, too; and maybe Morientes can fill this role, in the way he did for Monaco. In their brief appearances together at Real Madrid, Owen and Morientes linked very effectively, and you could see them doing the same in the Red of Liverpool.

So Crouch gives the manager the option to play a classic 4-4-2, with a nippy finisher (Cissé, Pongolle, Baros if he stays, or maybe Owen?) pushed up alongside and running off of him, but the new boy also offers the chance to play 4-2-3-1, where you have three deeper or wider attacking players joining the fray.

While both systems would see Crouch winning flick-ons, the latter requires more holding-up play, to allow Gerrard, Garcia, Zenden, Kewell, Riise, et al, to arrive. It's the system with which Chelsea won the league. (On the occasions Mourinho opted for two strikers, Gudjohnsen played in the hole, behind Drogba.)

My hunch is that if we see Owen back at Anfield next season it will be just once, as a visiting player. But I'd love to see him back in the red of Liverpool on a full-time basis. No one guarantees 20 goals in all competitions, but Owen comes pretty damn close. And with more creative players now at the club, you could surmise that he'd fill his boots to the brim.
    Source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Stay Put
    Of all the clubs mentioned the only 2 that actually need him are man utd and everton.

Arsenal have come out and said that they wont be signing him, Chelsea dont really need him, liverpool i dont see happening as benitez has his own plans which dont seem to include own... Newcastle are just a disaster zone to be honest. I see another hard season for them. Let too many go and havent replaced them and they cant offer champions league football...

Man Utd can afford to buy him and match his wage demands.

A boyhood blue, I dont think he'd turn down Everton if they could afford his wages, but I dont think that they can, so its really a pointless hope for Evertonians to get their hopes up... id love to see owen in a blue shirt though..

A season long loan perhaps???

Arsenal
    Owen would not go to Everton.
    Man u Liverpool yes, everton no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Newcastle
    Well a lot of people talk about not being able to see Owen in a Man United shirt because of his Liverpool days, but remember:
    1) Money talks.
    2) He was the one shipped off to Madrid, I don't think he was pushing for the move, Benitez just didn't seem too interested in him. I don't see why he would think it would be wrong to join their rivals.

I'm surprised at Arsenal's apparent un-interest. If you play Owen in the majority of your league games you are guarenteed at least 20 goals, I don't think you are with Reyes. Henry and Owen would be a dangerous combination.

If United got Owen I'd expect to see Saha go, and Smith probably moved permenantly moved into midfield. That would leave you with Ruud, Owen and Rooney as the 3 main strikers. That is a hell of a lot of goals per season.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I do not want to see him at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Newcastle
    i cant see him going anywhere else than man U. He doesnt really fit into Rafa's plan and i cant see him going to the likes of Newcastle/Aston Villa/Spurs et al. Its either that or another year on the bench at Reál

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

He wants to be the mian striker that rules out a lot of teams ie Man utd he only be going there as 3rd choice and thats only because Smith in mid now :D But still not 1st choice.

Everton wont happen couldnt afford him and a big step down.

Spurs ...yah never bleedin know with them someone should tell Jol its 11 a side.

Arsenal most likley could afford to play him up front with Reyes wide , Henry with him up front.

Newcastle step down.

Barcelona possible.....

kdjac

Everton
    KdjaC wrote:
    He wants to be the mian striker that rules out a lot of teams ie Man utd he only be going there as 3rd choice and thats only because Smith in mid now :D But still not 1st choice.

Newcastle step down.

I agree with you that Owen wants to be first choice striker and command a spot in a team when He is fit, but He has to realise that at the really big teams He will not be first choice.

As regards Newcastle being a step down, Almost everywhere is a step down from Real Madrid. But It would put him back on the same level as He was before He left Liverpool. Newcastle except for last year are a top 5 team for the last 6-7 years(longer even).

Arsenal - He would maybe play, but if it didn't look like a new system was working with Owen/Henry upfront. Owen would be straight back on the bench.

Man Utd - Rooney, RVN and Saha (Smith too, but Ferguson seems to want to make him the "new" Roy Keane). If Rooney and RVN are fit they will always start first.

Chelsea - He doesn't fit into their System.

Liverpool - Have problems in other areas of the field to worry about first.

Everton - Not enough Money

Tottenham - Four top class strikers already.

This only really Leaves Newcastle with
    a) the money
    b) the ambition to become top 3 again.
    c) He will get his game every week

So I still think that Newcastle would be the best option for him, but as for Owen and his ego Newcastle might not be good enough.

Arsenal
    It's between man u and liverpool to bring him back.
    i don't know why people are even talking about the other clubs

Stay Put
    ianomccabe wrote:
    Owen would not go to Everton.
    Man u Liverpool yes, everton no
    Why not? Stranger things have happened in football...

Any move away from the top club side in the world is a step down. He's reached the top, the only way is a step down after that...

I dont think he'd have any 'moral' objections about joining Everton. It would more be a money factor...

I cant honestly see him 'fitting in' at many other premiership clubs, ie. the big 4...

So teams like newcastle and everton are realistic premiership destinations for owen...

Either that or stay in Spain or Italy, where im sure he'd find a club no problem. Im sure juve or either of the milan teams would take him for the right money...

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    Cos i know for a fact he's said the clubs he'd want to come home to would be liverpool or man u. Suppose things change in football though so you never know.

Can't see a move to italy being on the cards though, he's desperate to get back to his own country so can't see him wanting to shift country again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Arsenal
    The only logical club (in England) for him to go to is Man U.

There he will be part of their squad rotation system plus they are the only big club that can afford him and that is good enough for his ego.

Although I would love it I can't see him going back to liverpool.
    Maybe Arsenel but Wenger has ruled it out AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Arsenal
    buy owen and trade him with the donkey rudd

Stay Put
    Thats just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Isn't there a good chance that some other La Liga side will try to buy him for cheap from Real? He has played pretty well in that league, and if one of the bigger teams in Spain came in with a bid, I'd say he'd be happy enough to go to Deportivo/Valencia/wherever if he was first choice. It'd be warmer than Newcastle/Liverpool at least.

Everton
    There is always the possibilty that he will not come back to the premiership and go to one of the other major european teams (Italian, Spainish, Greman teams could all afford him). But I really do think that he wants to come back to the premiership.

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    People are forgetting that he is desperate to come home. he's bored over there in another culture away from his mates so the chances of him going to another spanish team are nil

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Atari Jaguar
    OK first off Arsenal is a definite no. Wenger has siad he isnt interested in wasting his money on a striker. Also Owen is too similar to Henry for the partnership to work. They just wont compliment each other at all and would not work.

Chelsea is also a definite no. He does not fit into their system at all and they already have 3 top strikers and dont need another one, They have players like Duff and SWP who can play up front if needed so Owen doesnt fit the bill.

Liverpool is also a no. Rafa has more important positions to try and fill and he has already signed crouch. This leaves Liverpool with 6 strikers at the moment. there is no logic in signing Owen as he is simply not needed and Rafa will know this and will not waste money or wages on a player who isnt needed.

Man Utd have too many strikers as it is. They have RVN, Smith, Rooney, Saha and Solksjaer is almost fit again. Thats 5 strikers in their team. Ferguson knows, and Keane has pointed out, that they need to buy a central midfielder. The Glaziers will only fund one big signing this year and Owen does not fit the bill. He is not needed and will not be signed by Man U.

Everton will not be an attrctive prospect for Owen. They have been handed a very difficult draw in the champions league qualifiers which means they may not qulaify. David Moyes has failed to sign any top quality players during pre-season and has instead lost some first team players such as Alan Stubbs who played 40 odd games for them last season. If anything Everton are a weaker side this season. They will also not be able to offer Owen the wages he feels he is worth. Everton is also a no go.

Spurs have too many strikers so that is a no go right away.

Newcastle is an interesting one. They do need strikers but will they be able to attract Owen or even want to attract Owen? Souness has made it clear that he wants to buy both Anelka and Viduka during the pre-season and these are his main transfer targets. Owen has never been mentioned by anyone at Newcastle. This leads me to believe that, at this moment in time, they are not interested in him. This may change should they miss out on one of the above players but then comes the question of whether Owen is interested in joining Newcastle who are a team on the down. They have just come off a terrible season, are not involved in Europe and they have sold 5 players and brought in only 2. You dont have to be a maths genius to figure out the squad is worrse off this year. Owen will not be interested in dropping down so much. Any club will be a drop down but this is way too far down.

All of the above leads me to believe he will be staying at Real. As was pinted out he is ahead of Figo who is surplus to requirements. He has a very good season last year with his goals tominutes ratio the best in the league, This has not gone un-noticed. Who is to say that Baptista will be ahead of Owen? Owen will get the same amount of games as he did last year. He will be given his chance and its a matter of whether he takes it or not. he will stick it for one more season and see how he does. Owen can easily get into that team, especially based on last seasons performnaces, which the fans really took notice of by the way. The places are up for grabs at the moment and Owen has as good a chance as anyone and he will stay.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Newcastle
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Owen has never been mentioned by anyone at Newcastle. This leads me to believe that, at this moment in time, they are not interested in him.
    I think Souness mentioned him this morning as someone he'd like to attract to the club, I can't say for certain what the quote was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Everton
    Newcastle boss Graeme Souness admits Michael Owen is "the type of player we need to be attracting to this club".

Souness wants to bring four more players to St James' Park ahead of the Barclays Premiership season with a striker being one of his top priorities.

With England and Real Madrid star Owen currently the subject of speculation over his future, he would appear to fit the bill perfectly with Nicolas Anelka and Mark Viduka also in Souness' thoughts.

Souness has already made attempts to sign Anelka from Fenerbahce - as well as Fulham's Luis Boa Borte - but he has insisted he is not planning a swap deal involving Nicky Butt to sign Viduka from Middlesbrough.

Souness said: "Mark Viduka, Nicolas Anelka and Michael Owen are all top strikers and the facts speak for themselves.

"They are all 20-goals-a-season strikers and they are the types of players we need to be attracting to this club.

"We are obviously in need of firepower and if we were to get that type of player in we would have a very good squad.

"We need four more new players and ideally we would have had them in by now, but certainly we need to do it sooner rather than later."

Souness dismissed suggestions that he was ready to offload the under-performing Butt in favour of Viduka, adding: "Mark is a player I much admire but I have never spoken to Steve McClaren about him."

Stay Put
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Everton will not be an attrctive prospect for Owen. They have been handed a very difficult draw in the champions league qualifiers which means they may not qulaify.
    Perhaps with his firepower upfront it could help their chances of qualification.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    David Moyes has failed to sign any top quality players during pre-season and has instead lost some first team players such as Alan Stubbs who played 40 odd games for them last season. If anything Everton are a weaker side this season.
    They lost Alan Stubbs and Steve Watson. The bought Per Koldrup who is a quality centre back from Serie A to replace stubbs with. Steve Watson only made a handful of sub appearences last season anyway.

They also signed Mikel Arteta and Simon Davies, so to say that they are a 'weaker' side is complete twaddle to be honest...
    Kingp35 wrote:
    They will also not be able to offer Owen the wages he feels he is worth. Everton is also a no go.
    In the Scott Parker transfer saga, they were prepared to break the wage structure to bring him in, but he chose newcastle who were prepared to pay stupid wages for him. If Owen came along and said I want X amount of pounds, they would try their damn hardest to make sure he gets it. There a bit of a difference in quality between parker and owen. So I think your judgement on this one is a bit off...

• Advertisement
Advertisement