Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where will Owen go?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Kingp35 wrote:
    Who is to say that Baptista will be ahead of Owen?
    Maybe the same person who said he could leave..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Stay Put
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    el presidenté... what he says, usually goes...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Atari Jaguar
    Lex Luthor wrote:

but how does this indicate that Baptista is ahead of him. There could be many reasons for syaing this.
    Perhaps with his firepower upfront it could help their chances of qualification

Perhaps it would but would he be willing to take that risk? I dont think he will
    They lost Alan Stubbs and Steve Watson. The bought Per Koldrup who is a quality centre back from Serie A to replace stubbs with. Steve Watson only made a handful of sub appearences last season anyway.

They also signed Mikel Arteta and Simon Davies, so to say that they are a 'weaker' side is complete twaddle to be honest...

My main point here is that they havent signed anybody worth talking about. they have failed to use their european qualification as an attraction to sign big players. Arteta was there last season albeit on loan. It remains to be seen how Koldrup performs in the PL. Davies is a good signing but I fail see that Everton have improved much if at all. Davies is good but he is no replacement for Graveson who is a huge loss.
    In the Scott Parker transfer saga, they were prepared to break the wage structure to bring him in, but he chose newcastle who were prepared to pay stupid wages for him. If Owen came along and said I want X amount of pounds, they would try their damn hardest to make sure he gets it. There a bit of a difference in quality between parker and owen. So I think your judgement on this one is a bit off...

Your right there is a difference and Owen will want more wages than parker did. Everton won't be able to pay them or wont break their budget by too much in order to sign him. It will cause unrest among players already there who will feel that they deserve more as Owen is being paid so much. Anyway this is irrelevant because Everton are too big a drop down and if they manage to get Europe again this season, the UEFA cup even, it will be a very successfull season for them.
    I think Souness mentioned him this morning as someone he'd like to attract to the club, I can't say for certain what the quote was though.

I stand corrected on this part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Atari Jaguar
    Perhaps with his firepower upfront it could help their chances of qualification...

Baros is being linked to Everton at the moment. Story here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Atari Jaguar
    Kingp35 wrote:
    I stand corrected on this part

First line from this story:
    Newcastle boss Graeme Souness admits Michael Owen is "the type of player we need to be attracting to this club".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Atari Jaguar
    For all the talk of Owen leaving I have yet to see a quote from manager or president saying that he is on his way.

All Ive seen is idle paper talk assuming that because of the new signings that Owen will be looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Newcastle
    Well it is paper talk, but not completely without foundation. I remember Owen saying last year that he wasn't planning on going anywhere, but if he continued to sit on the bench that it would become a real worry. (Sorry for the pun :) ) It's hard to see anything changing with the arrival of Baptista and Robinho. And remember, it wasn't Luxemburgo who signed Owen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Atari Jaguar
    I heard that United made a bid for him on the radio yesterday

Atari Jaguar
    And remember, it wasn't Luxemburgo who signed Owen.
    I do remember.

But you remember, it was Luxemburgo who put him in the starting XI ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Everton
    BBC website

The BBC are reporting that Newcastle are going to bid £11 million for Owen.
    The only stumbling block apparently would be that fact that Newcastle are not in the Champions League this year.

:eek:
    Could it really happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Arsenal
    They lost Alan Stubbs and Steve Watson. The bought Per Koldrup who is a quality centre back from Serie A to replace stubbs with. Steve Watson only made a handful of sub appearences last season anyway.

Have you ever seen Per Koldrup play?

The only reason I do not think Owen would go to Everton would be an ego thing.. In the grand scale of things, they are not a big club and I honestly think that Owen would want to go to a club on a par, or bigger than Liverpool to satisfy his pride..

Everton finishing ahead of Liverpool for one season does not make them a bigger club before you say it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Man Utd
    i think owen would be mad to go to everton. Newcastle look like they are in the running but will he go there, only time will tell.

United dont need him either, rudd van nistleroy will be back.

who knows where he will end up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Atari Jaguar
    Although I hate Liverpools guts, I have to agree with JTG. Thats like saying Exeter are a match for United because they drew with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Everton
    Maybe this is what'll happen (or maybe not!) Owen stays at Real and all goes quiet but in fact the deal has already been done and in January he leaves and joins Liverpool. With Le Tallac and Baros gone (and possibly Mellor too) there would be a free berth. Owen is rearing to go having been mainly on the bench and finnishes the season in fine form with a dozen league goals and then goes to the world cup and wins the golden boot along with Rooney as Engerland win the tournement!*

Mike

* Then I wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Man Utd
    good prediction mike but i dont think england will win the world cup. I would say brazil would have something to say about that.Even the hosts germany are a threat.

Stay Put
    Kingp35 wrote:
    My main point here is that they havent signed anybody worth talking about. they have failed to use their european qualification as an attraction to sign big players. Arteta was there last season albeit on loan. It remains to be seen how Koldrup performs in the PL. Davies is a good signing but I fail see that Everton have improved much if at all. Davies is good but he is no replacement for Graveson who is a huge loss.

Well they are 2 players better off with koldrup and davies, so i dont think they could get worse??? Addition of players usually means that they improve and have more options, so i dont see your logic to be honest.

Arteta was a direct replacement for Gravesen when he left in Januray, so he has been replaced. To be honest last season was Gravesen's first decent season. He had always been a good player, but only seemed to shine last season when he was given a more attacking role by the new formation that was tried last year....

Arteta is a younger and more skillful player. Gravesen did have his limitations. Dont get me wrong i'd love to have him in the squad, but if it was a toss up between the two, i'd choose Arteta...

Davies is a good player who will give us another midfield option.

From what I've seen of koldrup so far, he looks like a class act. Good in the air and is comfortable on the ground, which are good hallmarks of a solid central defender.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Your right there is a difference and Owen will want more wages than parker did.
    Parker to be honest didn't have a lot of bargaining power going into that transfer process... What the hell has he accomplished? Absolutely nothing. Everton came to the table and offered him a realistic wage, which he was considering until newcastle came in and pretty much doubled it. Now all sense of career planning goes out the window when someone throws a load of cash at you. Everton were planning to 'break the structure', but he chose newcastle.
    Now if Owen came along, you know how much he is worth. He has bargaining power. I think that if Owen wanted it, Everton would try their best to match his wages... They have done it in the past with lesser players.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Everton won't be able to pay them or wont break their budget by too much in order to sign him. It will cause unrest among players already there who will feel that they deserve more as Owen is being paid so much.
    This happens at every club.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Anyway this is irrelevant because Everton are too big a drop down and if they manage to get Europe again this season, the UEFA cup even, it will be a very successfull season for them.
    Too big a drop. Not a big a drop as you may think.

Stay Put
    Have you ever seen Per Koldrup play?
    Yes I have. I've seen him on a few occasions playing for Udinese and from all reports he seems to be quite an accomplished defender.
    People such as Jan Molby and Roy Hodgson who have worked with him in the past have nothing but praise for the chaps ability, so thats good enough for me...
    The only reason I do not think Owen would go to Everton would be an ego thing.. In the grand scale of things, they are not a big club and I honestly think that Owen would want to go to a club on a par, or bigger than Liverpool to satisfy his pride..
    Pride, Smide... At the end of the day, if he wants to leave Real and thats a big if, he'll go to a club who wants him and where he will be guarenteed a first team place.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd, which would be a step up from Liverpool as they have realistic abilities of winning the title, and they all dont want him. He wont be going to Liverpool, so realistic premiership destinations for him are clubs like everton and newcastle, who can potentially afford him and offer him a first team place. Newcastle only have Shearer really as a recognised decent striker. They would be the more desperate of the two for strking options.
    In the grand scale of things everton ARE a big club no matter what you may think. Just because they've been on a bit of slump during the 90's doesn't make them a 'small' club.
    Everton finishing ahead of Liverpool for one season does not make them a bigger club before you say it..
    No, years of being a good club does though....

Stay Put
    galwaydude wrote:
    i think owen would be mad to go to everton. Newcastle look like they are in the running but will he go there, only time will tell.
    Why is Everton more of a 'mad' destination than Newcastle?

From what I can see, newcastle haven't strengthened their squad to any great deal. They've let go a lot more players than they have bought and to be honest look likely to repeat their form of last season. I cant honestly see peoples faith in newcastle. Just because of their form in the past 5 or 6 seasons where they had a few top 6 finishes doesn't mean that they can't slump now....

Flipside goes for Everton. They are on the way up... Not as mad as you may think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Everton
    From what I can see, newcastle haven't strengthened their squad to any great deal.

Newcastle Have gotten rid of a lot of trouble makers, i.e Robert and Bellamy.
    Players like Ambrose were fringe players at best.
    Kluivert looked like he wasn't bothered about anything other then his paycheck.
    They've let go a lot more players than they have bought

The players they have bought are quality players. Parker and Emre are both excellent signings.
    to be honest look likely to repeat their form of last season.
    Just because of their form in the past 5 or 6 seasons where they had a few top 6 finishes doesn't mean that they can't slump now....
    Newcastle had a very bad season with the same squad(almost) that had them in the top 6 for the last 7-8 years.

Everton had a good season with the same players that they almost got relegated with the season before (aside from three or four signings).

Now I don't really rate Souness as a manager and unless we sign a new centre-half and a top class striker(or two) you could very well be right. But to write off Newcastle and say everton are on the up compared to them is overstating it a bit.

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    Yes I have. I've seen him on a few occasions playing for Udinese and from all reports he seems to be quite an accomplished defender.
    People such as Jan Molby and Roy Hodgson who have worked with him in the past have nothing but praise for the chaps ability, so thats good enough for me...

Who did you see play him against..

Pride, Smide... At the end of the day, if he wants to leave Real and thats a big if, he'll go to a club who wants him and where he will be guarenteed a first team place.

Pride is very important.. I am not saying he is right in dismissing Everton, I am saying what I think he may be thinking.. Having taken the gamble and left the easy life he had in Liverpool to go to Real to "win medals", to then leave Real and go to a less prestigious club than Liverpool would be an idiciation of a failed term in Spain..

This is why I doubt he will go to Everton. If Everton keep up last seasons form consistently for another 2 or 3 season, big players like Owen will want to sign for them. It just takes time..

Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd, which would be a step up from Liverpool as they have realistic abilities of winning the title, and they all dont want him. He wont be going to Liverpool, so realistic premiership destinations for him are clubs like everton and newcastle, who can potentially afford him and offer him a first team place. Newcastle only have Shearer really as a recognised decent striker. They would be the more desperate of the two for strking options.
    In the grand scale of things everton ARE a big club no matter what you may think. Just because they've been on a bit of slump during the 90's doesn't make them a 'small' club.

If you read my original post directed at you, I said he will go club on a par with Liverpool or better.. Better being United, Arsenal or Chelsea.

In the grand scale of things, Everton are not a big club. In that past 10 years, they have not been able to compete financially or on the pitch against Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea and more recently Chelski..

Everton cannot afford to pay players more that 30k a week in wages without the threat of going bankrupt ffs.. Everton's time in the PL has not been good and they have not been in the slightest bit consistent. Again, this may be starting to change but it will take another two or three years of top 5 or 6 finishes and alot of cash to change this..

Newcastle on the other hand do not have this problem. They have consistently finished in the top 6 since the PL started and have alot of financial clout in the transfer market.

To which you replied...

Could you elaborate as to the meaning of this reply?

Stay Put
    evilhomer wrote:
    Newcastle Have gotten rid of a lot of trouble makers, i.e Robert and Bellamy.
    Players like Ambrose were fringe players at best.
    Kluivert looked like he wasn't bothered about anything other then his paycheck.
    This is true, but at the end of the day thats is 4 'big' players from a squad which was lacking quality last season.
    Good to get rid of the trouble makers, but at the end of the day they need to be replaced. Any bad run of injuries may cause concern for newcastle.

evilhomer wrote:
    The players they have bought are quality players. Parker and Emre are both excellent signings.
    Indeed they are, but as I said, numbers are what they are lacking.
    evilhomer wrote:
    Newcastle had a very bad season with the same squad(almost) that had them in the top 6 for the last 7-8 years.

Everton had a good season with the same players that they almost got relegated with the season before (aside from three or four signings).
    True, everton had a very good season before that though and finished 7th... I would agree that newcastle had a very bad season, it was on the cards with the 'troublesome' players they had. Unless they buy 3 or 4 more players I can see them struggle, but not in a relegation sense.
    evilhomer wrote:
    Now I don't really rate Souness as a manager and unless we sign a new centre-half and a top class striker(or two) you could very well be right. But to write off Newcastle and say everton are on the up compared to them is overstating it a bit.
    Newcastle's defensive record last season was relegation form to be honest... If it wasn't for shay given, i would have feared the worst for newcastle last season.
    They are good club and i like them, but i think it will be a couple of seasons before their rebuilding is complete and i dont think souness is the man for the job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Arsenal
    anyone know of anywhere giving odds on where he'll end up?

Me fancies a flutter

Atari Jaguar
    This is true, but at the end of the day thats is 4 'big' players from a squad which was lacking quality last season.
    Good to get rid of the trouble makers, but at the end of the day they need to be replaced. Any bad run of injuries may cause concern for newcastle.
    Well not really as Bellamy didnt play for Newcastle last year, and Robert was generally a substitute. Hughes and Ambrose did start a lot of games but were hardly crucial members of the first team. O'Brien is a loss I suppose but he has been replaced.
    Indeed they are, but as I said, numbers are what they are lacking.
    Souness has indicated that another 2 players at least will come in. They have also signed Craig Moore and Lee Clark, hardly world beaters I know but good experienced pro's.
    True, everton had a very good season before that though and finished 7th... I would agree that newcastle had a very bad season, it was on the cards with the 'troublesome' players they had. Unless they buy 3 or 4 more players I can see them struggle, but not in a relegation sense.
    I think people underestimate Newcastles season. They had a disastrous patch in April (not to mention a woeful start pre-Souness) which saw them lose four league games , a UEFA cup semi final in unbelievable circumstances, and a FA Cup semi. They only finished 11 points off UEFA cup qualification.

Had a few of those results gone their way they could have ended up in a cup final and a European place. People seem to give them harsh treatment because a lot of people have a serious dislike of Souness for some reason.

They have bought more than two players, they have indicated they will buy more, they have got rid of a few of the "troublemakers" who only had a negative effect on the team at this time of the season.
    Newcastle's defensive record last season was relegation form to be honest... If it wasn't for shay given, i would have feared the worst for newcastle last season.
    Relegation form? It was only 11 worse than Evertons, they also scored more goals to counter-act this. In fact only seven clubs scored more goals. Defence is an area that GS has highlighted that needs a re-work, and he has brought in two players in his time in an attempt to sort it. More are expected.
    They are good club and i like them, but i think it will be a couple of seasons before their rebuilding is complete and i dont think souness is the man for the job...
    What re-building needs to be done? They've had one bad year in the last four or five in league terms. In that year they had two long cup runs to counter act it.

This Summer in Emre and Parker they have signed two class players. Potential to be almost world class. I really think that Newcastle and Souness will surprise a lot of people next year.

If a striker of Owens calibre and attitude was signed to play with Shearer they will be a serious force.

Stay Put
    Who did you see play him against..
    Oh ffs. Do you want dates and times and perhaps the colour of underwear i was wearing at the time as well :rolleyes:
    Pride is very important.. I am not saying he is right in dismissing Everton, I am saying what I think he may be thinking.. Having taken the gamble and left the easy life he had in Liverpool to go to Real to "win medals", to then leave Real and go to a less prestigious club than Liverpool would be an idiciation of a failed term in Spain..
    On the contrary, my personal opinion that he hasn't failed in Spain. He has played a handful of games and scored 16 or 17 goals? Thats not failure in my book. The competition for strikers there even last season was huge...
    This is why I doubt he will go to Everton. If Everton keep up last seasons form consistently for another 2 or 3 season, big players like Owen will want to sign for them. It just takes time..
    True, I wouldn't disagree with this in theory, but i dont see any reason why they cant sign any of these players now... It has to start somewhere.
    If you read my original post directed at you, I said he will go club on a par with Liverpool or better.. Better being United, Arsenal or Chelsea.
    OK, I hear you, but according to all reports the above mentioned clubs dont want him...
    In the grand scale of things, Everton are not a big club. In that past 10 years, they have not been able to compete financially or on the pitch against Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea and more recently Chelski..
    Ok, Im not going to disagree that they haven't had the best top level management in the early and mid nineties, which lead to their dip in form for this period.
    This however does not mean that they are a small club. They have fallen behind in terms of the premiership since it started, but a lot of people (including sky sports) seem to forget that football existed before 1992 :D

From their inception in the late 1800's as a founder of the football league to the 1980's they were one of the biggest clubs in England. They have only been out of the top division once in their history!!! Thats a lot of history there in comparison to the past 10 years.
    Everton cannot afford to pay players more that 30k a week in wages without the threat of going bankrupt ffs..
    Your financial report of Everton is in fact wrong. Do a bit of research before spouting rumour and hear'say
    Everton's time in the PL has not been good and they have not been in the slightest bit consistent. Again, this may be starting to change but it will take another two or three years of top 5 or 6 finishes and alot of cash to change this..
    true...
    Newcastle on the other hand do not have this problem. They have consistently finished in the top 6 since the PL started and have alot of financial clout in the transfer market.
    consistent in the top 6?
    If you look at the late 90s and early 00s they were consistenltly mid table. 11th's 12ths 13ths etc for a good few seasons in a row...
    Could you elaborate as to the meaning of this reply?
    I think it explains itself

Arsenal
    Ok had a big reply to this made up but somehow lost it...

To summarise:

I doubt you have seen enough to him to form a genuine opinion as the oppurtunities to see Italian teams on TV are very limited..

He has been a success in Spain. I have not said otherwise. To return to England and join a lesser club that the one he left (he thought he was bigger than the club) would be seen as a failure in many eyes, including his...

They do have to start somewhere but Micheal Owen is a little too much too soon. You simply cannot offer him the finanicial incentives or compete sufficiently at the highest level. Apologies if thats hard to take..

Ah so trophies prior to the PL do count.. How about Liverpool being the most succesful of all British clubs..

It count for **** all to be honest.. You hold on to the good old days when things are going bad.. I, as a Liverpool supporter, have done so for long enough.

Football is now all about money. If you cannot compete financially, you cannot compete.. History or no history..

My financial report on Everton was out and out sarcasm.. However, they are unable to compete with alot of clubs in the transfer market..

Sorry, I was wrong about how Newcastle finished each season. However, they do have an average placing of 7th in the 12 or so years they have competed in the PL.

Are you actually saying that you think Everton are a bigger club that Liverpool because they have been good for years?

Originally Posted by jesus_thats_gre

Originally Posted by Third Echelon

• Advertisement

Stay Put
    This is getting way off topic but you dont seem to let sleeping dogs lie..
    I doubt you have seen enough to him to form a genuine opinion as the oppurtunities to see Italian teams on TV are very limited..
    Persumption is the first step to failure my friend. Take what i say at face value.
    He has been a success in Spain. I have not said otherwise. To return to England and join a lesser club that the one he left (he thought he was bigger than the club) would be seen as a failure in many eyes, including his...
    Well they arent bending over backwards to accept him back are they?

He left the club because he knew that they weren't going to challenge for a league title for his forseeable career. He has a better chance of winning a league medal with Real. He'd been at liverpool for a long time. It was time for a change. Even from ones own job, you know when you've been somewhere too long and its time to go and get a fresh challenge...
    He has succeeded. Why would moving back be seen as a failure?
    They do have to start somewhere but Micheal Owen is a little too much too soon. You simply cannot offer him the finanicial incentives or compete sufficiently at the highest level. Apologies if thats hard to take..
    Its not hard to take. I think you are being shortsighted and dismissive. Liverpool honestly do not have what it takes to compete with arsenal, chelsea or man utd in terms of wealth and quality of players. Technically coming back to liverpool is a step down for owen as well.
    Ah so trophies prior to the PL do count.. How about Liverpool being the most succesful of all British clubs..
    Of course they count. History doesn't lie.. unless you are a communist of course...
    It count for **** all to be honest.. You hold on to the good old days when things are going bad.. I, as a Liverpool supporter, have done so for long enough.
    How exactly does it count for fcuk all, as you so nicely put it? It counts for everything. Your history tells a lot about where you come from etc etc. Its your heritage. It defines who you are.
    Liverpool win something worth talking about and suddenly they are the best team in the world again? Reality check needed i think.
    Football is now all about money. If you cannot compete financially, you cannot compete.. History or no history..
    So hows that stadium of yours coming along? Picked the seat colours yet?
    Might need government help there?
    'Whats that skip?', 'Might need financial help to start a stadium that you claimed you could build yourself?'
    My financial report on Everton was out and out sarcasm.. However, they are unable to compete with alot of clubs in the transfer market..
    So how can I tell that not everything you talk is uninformed, hear'say arsecrap? I rest my case.
    Are you actually saying that you think Everton are a bigger club that Liverpool because they have been good for years?
    No, I'm saying that they are not a small club as you think they are.

Behind Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal, Everton have won the most league titles. That is not the credentials of a 'small' club....
    how many league titles have norwich or stevenage county won? They are small clubs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Atari Jaguar
    Ok this seems to have gone a bit mad and ye're just sniping at each other. What Jesus is trying to say i think is that for Owen to leave a fairly big club, go to the biggest club, leave and go to a currently less successful club then he was at in the first place would be in his own eyes a bit of a failure. Everywhere is a step down from Madrid, but he will at least be trying to stay at the same level of competitiveness he had at pool, which was not high, but was a fair chance of winning cups and, maybe in a few years, the league. He wont have much chance of winning anything at everton realistically.

Newcastle are, overall, building quite a good squad and have made some interesting signings. They clearly have a lot of money to throw around and have made very definate signs of the direction they're taking. Owen would be one of the final pieces of the puzzle here, as opposed to the start at everton, so its reasonable to think he would choose newcastle a little before. Now im also quite sure he'd much prefer to have been asked to join arsenal, but it doesn't look too likely. He made it very clear he wants to win things and the team which are probablybest placed to offer this are newcastle, given that spurs already have 7,482 good strikers.

Either way i think Owen is going to be dissappointed if he wants to come home as none of the realistic odds on challangers for things want him.

He has a decision to make - go on seeking trophy's at the highest level and try and get a move to somewhere like barca (who were interested last year and who would suit his game very well i think) or decide to go home, accept that the top 4 don't want him (if that proves to be the case) and then pick the best move for him both financially and competitively.

I agree everton have bags of potential and a very good manager, but right at this moment in time it would be about on par with signing for bolton who also have the potential and manager yet which would be sniffed at id imagine.

Before I get shouted at for any of this, its all In My Opinion.

Stay Put
    :D ^^^^ Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Atari Jaguar
    Its quite simple really. Owen moved to Real to win trophies. If he moves from madrid he will want to move to a team who have the ability to win trophies. Everton ARE NOT one of those teams. They will win nothing next year and for a good few years after that. I will quite happily out a bet on with anyone that Everton will not finish in the top 5 next season.

The top 4 dont want/need him. He will stay at madrid and fight for his place or possibly move to Newcastle if the money is right. I see him at Madrid until at least January

Stay Put
    I dont actually think that he'll leave Real to be honest...

And your statement is a bit contradictory to be honest stating that if he does leave he will only move to a club where winning trophies will happen, and then suggesting that he may go to newcastle..

If he wants to move to a team where winning a league trophy is a reality, he wont be moving to anyone in England except Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea. They dont want him apparently, so moving to newcastle who have the exact same chances of winning the league as everton do wouldn't be a good move for Owen.

If he does move to newcastle it will be that he is just homesick and they are willing to match his wage demands. If he has any ambition, he can see that newcastle do not have the potential to lift the title within the next few years...

If he is going anywhere, I reckon it will be Barca...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Atari Jaguar
    :D ^^^^ Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout, Shout....
    What does that mean?

I think kingp35 meant trophies in general not necessarily the premiership and newcastle are probably the most likely to win Something, (uefacup, league cup, fa cup or something) of the teams that are interested.

If he wants to win big big things he should try and move to barca and id love to see him go there, think he'd fit in really well. Might be a bit much to ask though, having to make the dreaded El Derby move, and having to adapt to another new language (catalan) where he doesn't really know anybody at all..

Atari Jaguar
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    I think kingp35 meant trophies in general not necessarily the premiership and newcastle are probably the most likely to win Something, (uefacup, league cup, fa cup or something) of the teams that are interested.

Yeah I did mean trophies in general obviously Newcastle wont win the league next season. I also meant that if Newcastle offer him crazy wages he might be tempted because of the money involved. I feel Newcastle can offer more than Everton can

As I said at the start though I see him staying at Madrid and fighting for his place. Its a much better option than moving to any of the clubs who cant really challenege for major honours. If he really wants to move then a move to another foreign club such as ~Rebel~ suggested could be a good move for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Stay Put
    Catalan is liek a second language in Barca, the football is done mostly in Spain, since everyone speaks spanish

Atari Jaguar
    Owen confirms he has held brief talks with 4 premiership clubs

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=296329&cpid=23&CLID=&lid=2&title=Owen+reveals+Prem+talks&channel=football_home
    Michael Owen has confirmed he has held talks with a number of Premiership clubs.

The Real Madrid striker has been strongly linked with a move back to England in recent days, after the Spanish giants concluded deals for Robinho and Julio Baptista.

Owen himself now realises he is potentially fifth choice striker at El Santiago Bernabeu despite an impressive haul of 13 goals last season.

Manchester United are reported to be leading the chase, although the likes of Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton, Tottenham, Birmingham, Arsenal, and his former club Liverpool are all thought to be interested - although the latter two have denied that they will make an offer.

In a statement, Owen said: "During my four days off, there have been two big signings confirmed by the club and I can understand why this has resulted in speculation about my future.

"Real Madrid contacted my advisors over the weekend and explained that they wanted me to stay but that they would not stand in my way if the right opportunity arose for me to return to The Premiership.

"With the knowledge of Real Madrid, there has been brief dialogue with three or four Premiership clubs although no formal negotiations of any kind have taken place."

Owen, who is likely to cost in excess of £15 million, now looks destined for a move back to The Premiership after just one season in Spain.

Stay Put
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    What does that mean?
    It was just an attempt at humour based on your post's last line
    Before I get shouted at for any of this, its all In My Opinion.
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    Any competitions that Newcastle are competing in, Everton have just as much chance of winning as well, such as FA Cup, League Cup etc. Newcastle haven't one anything really since the 50's - FA Cup in 1955 (apart from the old division 1/division 2 league title in 1993 as it was at the time). At least Everton have won a competition in the past 10 years...
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    If he wants to win big big things he should try and move to barca and id love to see him go there, think he'd fit in really well. Might be a bit much to ask though, having to make the dreaded El Derby move, and having to adapt to another new language (catalan) where he doesn't really know anybody at all..
    Being a Barca fan as well, I'd love to see him there. I don't think the move would be as bad though as he is a 5th choice striker at Real, and not a major first team star such as Figo was when he moved from Barca to Real....
    This seems to be Owen being ousted rather than choosing to leave, which is slightly different... I don't think the Real fans will be that p1ssed off about it.
    Catalan isn't that different to Spanish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Owen, who is likely to cost in excess of £15 million, now looks destined for a move back to The Premiership after just one season in Spain.

I can't see liverpool paying 15 million for him just a year after they sold him for approx half that figure. I think he'll stay in Madrid. TBH i dont think he is worth the money they are looking. HE was an excellent player a few years ago but in his last few months at Liverpool he did not set the premeirship alight. I know he had injuries and the contract scenario probably hindered him too but he looked very ordinary that season to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Man Utd
    I think that Owens preference is to return to Liverpool over going to any other English club. Liverpool are talking to Real and if they can agree a fee then it will happen regardless of what Utd or any other club do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Arsenal

Being a Barca fan as well, I'd love to see him there. I don't think the move would be as bad though as he is a 5th choice striker at Real, and not a major first team star such as Figo was when he moved from Barca to Real....
    This seems to be Owen being ousted rather than choosing to leave, which is slightly different... I don't think the Real fans will be that p1ssed off about it.
    Catalan isn't that different to Spanish...

He's homesick, desperate to go to england. Misses his family and his mates, why would he move to yet another spanish club?

I also can't see Liverpool meeting a 15 million valuation, thats why i said a couple of days ago that a loan deal seems the more likely option

Atari Jaguar
    The Muppet wrote:
    I can't see liverpool paying 15 million for him just a year after they sold him for approx half that figure. I think he'll stay in Madrid. TBH i dont think he is worth the money they are looking. HE was an excellent player a few years ago but in his last few months at Liverpool he did not set the premeirship alight. I know he had injuries and the contract scenario probably hindered him too but he looked very ordinary that season to me.
    I cant see Liverpool paying that for him either. I do however feel he is worth every penny of that £15M. He is still one of the best strikers in the world whether people like it or not. And he is only 25!

His last season at Liverpool that people always harp on about still yielded 19 goals in 38 games (including sub appearances). This is despite injury problems and a team not playing to his strengths. I cant ever fathom how people think he did bad. I understand at times during the year he hadnt the best of games, but he couldnt help that, yet he still bagged almost 20 goals!

His record at Real proves that he still has what it takes. As does his continued record for England.

Newcastle
    I don't think he should see it as a failure if he leaves Madrid. He proved that he had what it took, he was able to score goals despite being frozen out most of the time. Not much else he could've done I don't think.
    Sven Goran Erikson said today that it would be a 'dream' for him to see Owen at United, linking up with Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Stay Put
    Cause Jivin people see one or two matches and then go, oh look at him hes not on form.
    Its what happens with all strikers.
    Owen is a quality quality player, but it'd be tough to get him bought at 15 million, especially since he wants to move

Atari Jaguar
    PHB wrote:
    Owen is a quality quality player, but it'd be tough to get him bought at 15 million, especially since he wants to move
    A player of Owen's age, calibre and contract situation (3+ years) is a complete steal at £15M.

How much did Real pay for Baptista? He has achieved nothing in his career in comparison to Owen, although granted he is two years younger. Yet I didnt see him have difficulty attracting a price tag of around £15M.

And I also fail to see where all this evidence of him "wanting to move" or "being forced out" is. There is confirmation that clubs were interested, but to the contrary RM confirmed they "wanted him to stay" and he hardly expressed a keen interest to leave himself.

Newcastle
    A player of Owen's age, calibre and contract situation (3+ years) is a complete steal at £15M.

How much did Real pay for Baptista? He has achieved nothing in his career in comparison to Owen, although granted he is two years younger. Yet I didnt see him have difficulty attracting a price tag of around £15M.
    I agree on that point, I think he is worth somewhere in that range, but isn't that far more than Real paid for him?

And I also fail to see where all this evidence of him "wanting to move" or "being forced out" is. There is confirmation that clubs were interested, but to the contrary RM confirmed they "wanted him to stay" and he hardly expressed a keen interest to leave himself.
    Well he confirmed today that he has spoken to '3 or 4 Premiership clubs' after Real gave him permission and said they won't stand in his way, so he must be somewhat interested and Real must be willing to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Arsenal
    He wont go back to Liverpool.For a start they dont want him and have increadibly invested nearly or all his transfer fee in Peter Crouch :eek:

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see him end up at United,if not at the start of the season then in January.

With it being world cup year I`m sure his priority is to get fairly regular first team football,something which looks increasingly unlikely at Madrid.

He seems to be the forgotten man in many ways.I couldnt believe Liverpool sold him for a start,and for such a small fee,and I cant believe that every top club in the world isnt scrambling for his signature.

Lets not forget he is the best English goalscorer out there at the moment and will more than likely end up their all time record goalscorer.

I`m a United fan and I think its the midfield that needs strengthening,the last place United need to add to is up top.

Having said all that if Owen was available I`d love United to snap him up as opportunities like that dont come around too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Man Utd
    adox wrote:
    He wont go back to Liverpool.For a start they dont want him and have increadibly invested nearly or all his transfer fee in Peter Crouch :eek:

What makes you think that they don't want him? When Benitez was asked about Owen he sidestepped the question rather than directly saying we don't want/need him. I think that Liverpool will buy him, if not now then he'll come on loan with a view to a perm deal in you in a years time. I don't think that Man USA need him given that they have Saha, Ruud, Rooney, Smith & Solskjaer.

Atari Jaguar
    I agree on that point, I think he is worth somewhere in that range, but isn't that far more than Real paid for him?
    Yes but Real got him on a steal, no doubt about it, even with only a year left on his contract.
    Well he confirmed today that he has spoken to '3 or 4 Premiership clubs' after Real gave him permission and said they won't stand in his way, so he must be somewhat interested and Real must be willing to sell.
    He had "brief dialogue". Real stated they "wont stand in his way if the right opportunity arose for him". So they may be willing to sell but they are not looking to sell.

I cant see him leaving at least before January, and I cant see him going to anyone other than Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or United.

Advertisement