Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Night in May

• 30-07-2005 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

is a program on Sky One next Friday night about 2005 Champions League Final. Part of Sky's new series about great sporting achievements.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Who won the 2005 Champions League Final? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Hmmm, might be worth catching.

SPORT: Sport Matters
    Channel: Sky One 106
    Date: Friday 5th August 2005
    Time: 21:00 to 22:00
    Duration: 1 hour.
    Liverpool: One Night In May: This year's Champions League final could have been scripted by Hollywood. Relive the amazing Istanbul experience from the fans' perspective.
    (New Series, Widescreen)
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=58187
    Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd.

Btw, it's repeated on Sky Mix the following Monday night (10pm) for anyone who can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

did anybody watch this?

brought back a lot of great memories from that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I watched it last night, it was absolutely brill. It was great that they got the perspective from both sets of fans and the Milan fans/players were quite gracious in defeat...something a certain team across the water could learn from :rolleyes:

It's on again @10pm on Sky1 on Wednesday if anyone missed it last night btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Felt gutted for that guy who left at half time and then found out the score in the taxi on the way back from the ground. That's what you get for leaving early I suppose.

• Advertisement

Fair dues to him for admitting it on TV though, many wouldn't have the balls!

I thought Gattusso especially was very gracious in defeat. Only 3 players apparently at half time in the Milan dressing room refused to put t-shirts on under their shirts proclaiming European Champions 7 times, they were Gattusso, Pirlo & Maldini.

Great story about that young lad who got on the pitch to take part in the celebrations. Imagine getting to kiss the cup and get in the celebration photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I thought Gattusso especially was very gracious in defeat. Only 3 players apparently at half time in the Milan dressing room refused to put t-shirts on under their shirts proclaiming European Champions 7 times, they were Gattusso, Pirlo & Maldini.
    They're great players, all of them. Milan are a gracious team and are very respectful to their opponents. They were also gracious towards Juve when they clinched Scudetto Number 28 last May. That's why i love them so. :)

It was an excellent program, brought the passion of the night to life again. I especially liked the view from Milan, I was expecting it to be all Liverpool dominated, so I was quite shocked, I can tell you!

Well done Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's on again tomorrow night for those of us that missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yes, I watched it, I wouldnt have missed it and have it on video. A great night it has to be said, and still is amazing and will remain so for many years to come. Not just for Liverpool winning the top trophy in club football, but in the way that it was won - that nearly doubles the actual value and feeling of winning it.

I noted that there was some footage shown which was not available on the night itself, such as the replay of the now infamous Shevchenko shot and the corresponding save by Dudek, from point-blank range. Some people/papers have claimed that the shot hit him on the face or hit him without him knowing too much about it, but the footage backs up my analysis of the incident in that he meant it, moving his hands purposefully in that direction and made a reaction and brilliant save.

Dudek was a huge factor in the match and its a pity for him that he has since been treated less than favourably by Benitez. It shows how little thanks players get sometimes, and us fans and football followers need to balance the times we think players are mercenaries, such as MacManaman, Fowler, Owen or what have you, with those that get treated less than the "favourite sons", such as Morientes and Garcia. So, once again, well done Dudek and thanks.

ps: interesting to note that neither Benitez nor Gerrard were interviewed for the programme. Carra shone through though and spoke sense, as did Thommo. What a fan he is. Put him back on the coaching staff, thats my vote.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

/me is waiting for the Maria Sharapova episode

mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Felt gutted for that guy who left at half time and then found out the score in the taxi on the way back from the ground. That's what you get for leaving early I suppose.

i was delighted. Never walk out on your team no matter how they are doing.

I love kelly daglish.

I love kelly daglish.

She's an absolute minx :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i was watching that football years program on sky late last night and when she was talking about blackburn winning the league back in 95 or whatever it had "blackburn fan" under her name

she's probably a chelsea supporter now :rolleyes:

el rabitos wrote:
    i was watching that football years program on shy late last night and when she was talking about blackburn winning the league back in 95 or whatever it had "blackburn fan" under her name

she's probably a chelsea supporter now :rolleyes:

or maybe it was cause of her dad... :rolleyes:

well " :rolleyes: " to you too man. i'm well aware of who Kelly DAGLISH's dad is.

so why would she be a chelsea supporter?

take out your book of football phrases and look up "bandwaggon supporters"

-then take out your common household dictionary and look up "sarcastic"

-then dont read too deep into jokes

Kelly Dalglish grew up as a Liverpool fan, always was.
    She is a babe. I will not have you talk bad about her.

As for Dudek. He had a fantastic final, probably won us the trophy, but I think Benitez is looking for a more consistent goalkeeper and maybe he thinks he has that in Reina...!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Dudek also made 3 horrendous blunders in the game, and it was just luck that none cost Liverpool goals. But he did make errors that did cost us goals in many other games in the season and previously. Yes, he ended up being the hero on the night in May and he'll always be remembered as such, and yes he seems like a really nice guy, but he's not good enough for Liverpool. And thankfully Rafa, unlike some fans, doesnt let sentiment make decisions for him, and he also knows that Dropsy Dudek is not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Dudek also made 3 horrendous blunders in the game, and it was just luck that none cost Liverpool goals. But he did make errors that did cost us goals in many other games in the season and previously. Yes, he ended up being the hero on the night in May and he'll always be remembered as such, and yes he seems like a really nice guy, but he's not good enough for Liverpool. And thankfully Rafa, unlike some fans, doesnt let sentiment make decisions for him, and he also knows that Dropsy Dudek is not good enough.

Yes, I'm well aware of Dudek's errors in the match itself and in other games, and Benitez has gone for a new goalie with Reina. Thats fine by me as I'd be the first to say that Dudek is not up to the standard we are aiming for, so lets hope Reina works out.

The point was that fans who complain about players lack of loyalty, or perceived lack, such as in the MacManaman and Owen cases, need to realise that the managers dont show loyalty many times, or sentiment as you call it. Its up to all managers to decide who they are loyal to, and last season we saw cases of Benitez being over-loyal to some players and under-loyal to others. Call it favouritism, call it "special sons", etc, but it is very plain to see with his selections in the past of Pellegrino, Morientes, and Garcia, the latter who gets to do what he likes on the pitch and can do no wrong.

I think after Dudek's heroics he at least deserved another go. Sure, by all means bring in a new keeper such as Reina, but immediately instating him as No.1 without giving Dudek any respect of a chance of holding down the place is a bit of a kick in the teeth, especially after his recent role in the CL final. It doesnt give any other players much motivation to perform well or to show loyalty. If Dudek slipped up in this season, then fair enough, Reina would get his chance, and if he held it down on merit, no quibbles. If Reina turns out to be a Lev Yashin, we will have got a great bargain, if he doesnt, well, lets just see what happens. The goalie position is a difficult one to fill. We knew Dudek's warts, and I hope that Reina has fewer.

redspider

Advertisement