Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3rd party f&t vs Fully comp

Options
  • 30-07-2005 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Im considering buying a first car, probably a 1.4 car with a value of less than 5000 euro. On a provisional license. I seem to get quotes of around 1,700 with 3rd party f&t but it jumps to about 2,300 with fully comp. Question im asking is, would i be mad to go with 3rd party f&t? Do people normally get this. Im new to this so go easy on me.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The way I'd look at it ,if you're misfortunate to have an accident and write off your car have you enough spare money to replace it ?

Then again if you do claim will you end up paying back the price of it to the insurance co. in extra loadings ?

Hard to call !

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Get third party fire + theft. Don't bother with fully comp because your car isn't worth that much. If you have a crash that is your fault and you make sh1t of you car, you probably won't claim for the damage because your premium will shoot up if you do.

I have always had TPFT plus windscreen cover on my cars. And I have had a couple of new cars worth 20-25k. Obviously, I would have lost a lot of money had I stuck the cars in a ditch. Knowing this has encouraged me to be a careful driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Third Party Fire and Thieft means the insurance company will pay up if the car is damaged or written off after a fire or if it has been stolen. Sell inflicted damage/write off of your car under this policy means you pay to have the car repaired or replaced.

Full Comprehensive in general terms means complete cover but generally in insurance terms it doesn't. It protects you against damage caused which could end up being your own fault and it is supposed to protect you against such things as being hit by uninsured drives. Some full comp policies for instance don't include windscreen cover or NCB protection.

You have to ask yourself if you go with TPFT can you afford to put your car back on the road out of your own pocket? Usually Full Comp on a newish car is a no brainer but on a car worth €5k TPFT would probably be enough until you buy a newer car in which time you will have built up your NCB and there will not be much in the difference between the two.

Advertisement