Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL2QR2L Shelbourne FC -v- Steaua Bucharest (Agg 0:0)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

well Steaua did throw away a 2-1 lead or whatever it was in the super cup. Its really up to shels to get rid of the nerves and play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

In fairness, if Steaua cop onto the only tactic Shels seem to have - long diagonal ball into the right channel - they'll have it wrapped up comfortably. Anyone else sick of Pat Dolan's jaded rhetoric at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

mr_angry wrote:

Anyone else sick of Pat Dolan's jaded rhetoric at this stage?

If that means sick of the sound of the jerk, then yes, yes I am. Very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Shels need crosses in ye old transylvania.....

Oh the punnage :D

need to get in crosses to Baker, Crawley and Cahill seem a tad impotent in that area.

kdjac

As long as they're better at attacking them than they are at defending them. :rolleyes:

that was a real let of there

Looks like another raping albeit in score.

Gimp off Fleming on
    kdjac

It seems Steuea have really stepped up. If Shels can weather this for 10 minutes, frustration could creep in, allowing Shels to break.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

hahahaha comical stuff there from the keeper.

• Advertisement

3-1 LMAO at that goal.

Shels are pathetic that was schoolboy ****.

kdjac

Gift. I feel sorry for Delaney.

Williams will be back soon then?

3-1

I wouldnt mind if Steaua scored 2 great goals, but they didnt. Its all pathetic mistakes by Shels. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Shels arent good enough

shels look their best attacking. i dont think were really a defensive team and im not really sure about this 4-5-1 fenlon swears by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

penalty....4-1

4-1 :( i cant belive he just stuck his arm out like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Lets all laugh at shels :)

Cork City yet again the only club flying the flag for the EL.

Ha....Dolan just called Shels "we". That man will hang his hat on any available rack. Idiot.

In the end that was a flattering scoreline for SB. Shels fans will argue that all the goals came from mistakes, but in reality, Shels created very little, and were never really that big a threat throughout the 180+ mins. How much the double sending off (for God only knows what) affected things we will never know.

Entertaining game. I wouldnt fancy be the team to play Shels this weekend. There could be a massive backlash.

Hmm, now that I think of it, is Shels next game not away to Cork City? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

disgracefull behaviour from ANYONE assosiated with steaua, really was pathetic sportsmanship.

Delaney and cahill should be ashamed to wear the blue shirt tonight - really didnt rise to the big game. delaney has the quality there, but its goodnight for cahill, one too many poor performances for us. delaney was at fault for at least 2 of the goals, but he can be excused one bad game isnt too bad.

referee was ****e, but you have to expect that when you go abroad in europe.

ndo added just what i thought he would, as did wes, how many chanced did we have when both were on the pitch. flemming steadyied the boat, crawley was getting skinned alive on the wing. not gonna talk about the two sendings off - i think everyone knows it hurt us more than them. crowe should have been replaced with glen at round 60 mins i feel crowe was tired and needed to be replaced.

so disappointed with the performance, heatbroken even, but for me the bulk of the blame has to got to go to nutsy. It was plainly obvious that he had to play Ndo and Wes, it proved it when they came on, and i really believe that he should go - out of every cup, 14 points behind cork, and it seems as though he's run out of ideas. its kills me to say it, but we've taken a step back from last year. the pride of last years performance against deportivo has now been turned to heartbreak by poor management. now i'm off to the pub to get wasted...

Shels stuck to this 4-5-1 defend most of the game and then hit them on the break. Thats ok if your Italy or Germany but were not. It invites errors on the players. I think 4-5-1 is used just to make up for players lack of fitness.

Dolan would take a contract with Shels if anyone offered him. This season is virtually guaranteed no silverware. Fenlon really has to keep building. I agree with what he says about schoolboy soccer being too competitive. There needs to me more emphasis on learning technical ability.

Lets all laugh at Cork City/village when they make a mess of their next round tie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I dont want to sound like the fella who says I told you so but you could see from the very second Wes Hoolahan came on that Shels looked twice/three times the team they were when he was on the bench.

In the Eircom League you can bully teams all you want on the small pitches but in Europe on a wide pitch in 30'c heat you can't.

Bucharest deserved to go through no doubt but Shelbourne made it so easy for them. They allowed them easy possession, they themselves did not keep possession and David Crawley had a nightmare.

Fortunately Cork City like to play good football so hopefully we can learn some leasons from tonight.

I would blame Fenlon for tonights disaster they should not have conceded 4 goals and when away and your CB sent off early, the CF shouldnt even need to be called he should be walking off the pitch straight away. And another CB for the CF, dont concede then try hit on the break but what Fenlon did by keeping both Byrne and Crowe on was stupid, simply stupid.

Shels had the players just werent all playing at the same time :confused:

Ndo and Hoolahan and Flaming came on and all fitted right in and gave shels options whereas the players they replaced cost Shels goals.

Cahill a shadow of the former Cork player who scored possibly the best hatrick i ever seen (vs us the cnut) didnt for a single minute look like a player who gets paid to play.

Dont think Shels would have won but only for some stupid subs at the wrong times they could have at least gave Steaua a game.

kdjac

Lets all laugh at Cork City/village when they make a mess of their next round tie :D

Shelbourne - the new breed : bad winners, worse losers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

from what i have read and been told by texts, shels were the masters of there own downfall and made many mistakes, still, i feel they done well, they will learn from it and will rise to the challenge when it comes up again..

• Advertisement

they will learn from it and will rise to the challenge when it comes up again..

They might have to wait a while, they look like a an Inter-toto team at the moment.

Still, as much as Fenlon likes to hide them, there are some quality players up there.

Delaney 6 Not commanding in his area.
    Heary 7 If Shels had 4 of him accross the back they would be a force.
    Harris 6 Slow and wasteful possession
    Rogers 0
    Crawley 2 The poor man. Id say hes gutted.
    Baker 7 Not on the front foot enough
    S. Byrne 7 Did ok in defence but was better in midfield in 2nd haf
    J. Byrne 7 Took his goal well and was better when wes came on.
    A. Moore 6 Worked very hard, but not good enough.
    Cahill 6 Average at this level.
    Crowe 6 Didnt take his chances.

Hoolahan 8 Beat player on the pitch when he came on
    Ndo 6 Some lovely skill
    Fleming 7 Brought composure, presence, awareness. All attributres that Crawley never has or will ever have at this level.

There is so much to take from that game.

For a start, shels should make their new pitch in the proposed stadium a lot bigger than current the EL standard. Something that resembles pitch size seen on the continent. I know it might loose some of the atmosphere but it would really give us a big lift when we are playing the away leg.

The players looked all frozen for a lot of the game. It looked like nerves got the better of them. They werent really used to the pressure and there were some real howlers.

Fenlons tatics of keeping it close dont really suit Shelbourne. We dont play that game week in and week out and our defence is too slow and unable to soak up the pressure on a bigger pitch than Tolka. We were really inviting them on us and couldnt really match their attack with our defence.

Curtis Flemming looked great IMO. He had lots of composure and pity he didnt start.

The ref had a nightmare. Sending two players off like that was a joke. The whole stadium, players, fans, managers, tv audience et al were really thrown off to know ones benefit. A simple warning would have done. Then he wouldnt book players who were diving :confused:

Fenlon has to rebuild this team. I hope we can push for UEFA next year. The players he signed last year didnt really perform but I think its more Fenlons mistakes than anything else.

The Village - throw away home games to weaker european opposition, resent other EL clubs progress in Europe,

Cork City are our only representitives left. I hope everybody gets behind us in the same way as they have Shels.

Cork City are our only representitives left. I hope everybody gets behind us in the same way as they have Shels.

Like me ?

/Dances on burning shels flag :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

i dont know which is the worst, the fact that we crashed out of Europe or having to read cheap comments like the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Keep it civil lads, not too keen on dishing out ths bannings.

Thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

there goes my 10 euros to paddy power,i hate that man :rolleyes:

Well done Shelbourne for your Euro run. More coefficient points earned :) and hopefully other clubs can show the same ambition as Shels in the coming seasons.

Unfortunately I think it was an opportunity lost. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Shel's really were poor tonight. Dolan was right when he said the players won't know how close they would have come to Steaua because they handed them the goals on a plate.

Same story for the eircom league, great effort and a brave campaign yet totally outclassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Village - throw away home games to weaker european opposition, resent other EL clubs progress in Europe,
    Please - go away, you are tarnishing the name of Shels supporters on here.

Jesus, I am so disappointed with that match and performance.

Bad defending for 1-0, Harris should have dealt with the ball over his head. Crawley, well, he needs to go.

It got worse for 2-0. Muppet Show all round. Delaney should have collected, but when it passed him I don't know what Crawlrey was thinking, or if his brain was actually engaged, the one time you want him to hoof it he plays a square ball for their striker.

For 2-1 I thought Baker was superb, he is great in the air, and then Jayo did everything right, head it down and at the keeper, very hard to save.

3-1 was just one of those things, you expect the 'keeper to come in that situation, but you can't expect that he'll miskick like that. From here on in it was game over.

4-1, well Bomber will be disappointed, but it was as blatant as they come. I think 4-1 flattered Steaua, but when Weso came on we looked a much better side. Pity he wasn't 100% fit, I think it would have been a different game. When Ndo came on I thought we might have a slim chance, he showed some lovely touches, and bamboozled the right full, that was the highlight of the Shels performance against Steaua, apart from Jayo's goal of course.

So we are out, ah well, nice while it lasted, and with two wins and a draw in the CL I think we can hold our heads up. We were beaten by the better side, of that there is no doubt, but the silly schoolboy mistakes made for 2-0 and 3-1 really cost us, and were totally galling. However, these kind of mistakes are made by teams that come from the 1st Qualifying Round, it is why we are there. Shels aren't world beaters, and I feel that given time, five or six seasons I'm talking about here, then an eL team will progress to the Group Stages, I'd love it to be Shels, but I'd love any Irish side to be in there.

Now come on Cork City, you have a really tough tie to play in, but I believe it is very do-able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

did anyone read dolans column in the star?

think it was monday

he slated the eircom league and basically said that no team was good enough to do anything in europe. Was harsh to read but me thinks he's dead right

Dolan has certainly changed his tune since leaving the Cross. Hes become very critical.

Dont write Cork City off yet. :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Is it just me or does Heary have an obsession with giving away possession to the opposition? He's handy at tackling, crossing and heading but pass the ball ffs! Eircom league teams need to learn to pass the ball and make their opponents work. When Hoolahan and Ndo came on they threatened Steaua big time. If they were on from the start I'm sure Shelbourne would have came closer, if not winning the game/tie.

Agreed. If your having a 5 man midfield then surely you want people in there who are comfortable on the ball.

Cahill Byrne Moore J Byrne Baker

They like to attack the ball more than stroke it around.

• Advertisement

i dont know which is the worst, the fact that we crashed out of Europe or having to read cheap comments like the above.
    Touché

:rolleyes:
    Please, please, please point out where any Cork CITY fan resented another eL clubs progress? Please do not ignore this like you normally do when someone poses a question to you.

What I do resent is your attitude towards other clubs in the eL, when its quite obvious you havent a bloody clue about anything reagrding any other club. You recently stated that City and Bohs had embarrassed the league in recent seasons, a point you couldnt back up.

As for losing to weaker opposition, well so bloody what, City progressed did they not? And how because they actually won an away game in Europe AGAIN this season.

Lets get pedantic shall we, City and Shels, in their respective histories, have both won 8 games in European competition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Every goal we gave away was a joke, but what do you expect with idiots like Crawley?

Ndo and Hoolahan came on and changed the match but it was too little too late. Until then we had nobody in the mid field willing to get on the ball, nobody willing to play football. Baker will probably get praise for setting up the goal with a header covering up yet another inept performance completley lacking in quality. If Fenlon persists with picking players who don't want the ball that's what you will get.

Every goal was a gift but they deserved to win. Pathetic performance, woeful team selection and nobody in mid field who wanted to get on the ball until the subs. Flemming played well to be fair to him.

Our defense has been really lacking all season. Fenlon did a cosmetic job on it lately but its one area that he didnt properly address at the end of last season and it has cost us everything this year.

gimmick, Im not going to get invovled in that but to answer your question, reading various posts on the board here and on foot.ie and shelbournefc.ie it does seem like there was a bit of resentment from certain CCFC fans.

A lot of people went missing last night and as Slash said, very few players wanted to get on the ball and left a lot of work to other players. Steaua were defintely the better team and the best team went through but the performance was diabolical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Shels were the architects of their own downfall , silly defensive mistakes cost them on the night. They need to learn to keep the ball instead of hoofing it up the park back to the oncoming team (Heary's distribution was crap). There were some positives though , they scored away again in Europe and had some good chances; They ran there socks off everyman gave 100% and They made some good chances with Ndo and Wes on the pitch

Hopefully they can do something domestically to get back in next year but if not ROLL ON THE INTERTOTO ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Shelbourne are crap arent they! Lets face it here lads, absolutely brutal. A shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I noticed that Hadjuk went out 8-0 on agg last night. Could it just be that Shels progress last season was due to a couple of fortuitous draws last season and that we really haven't progressed in Europe as much as we'd like to believe?

Sure the days of our clubs losing 7-0 to some team from Eastern Europe are gone but I still feel we're a long long way of the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Very gutted after last night, it's pretty much all been said here in previous postings.

I'll be cheering for cork, the league badly needs the co-ef points. I'd hate to see a situation where cork end up in next years CL1QR unseeded [largely due to longford's shameful display if it comes to it]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pigman II, you can only play what is in front of you, and for what it's worth, having watched Steaua and Split over the past two years, I think Steaua are by far the superior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

It didnt help that Shelbourne were crap last night either, a park team standard.

• Advertisement

^ Are you actually going to contribute anything or just repeat that Shels 'are crap'?

Shels didnt embarrass themselves last night. The went out to a better team, who the scoreline flatterred. But for a few unforgiveable errors it could have been a totally different story. The refs early stupid decision in the double red card didnt help the cause.
    soma wrote:
    I'd hate to see a situation where cork end up in next years CL1QR unseeded

Id happily take that. It would mean City win the league afterall ;)

Advertisement