Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 hard shoulder

Options
  • 31-07-2005 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

anyone ever got pulled by the guards on the M50 for using the hard shoulder?

if so what happenened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

errr. what are you talking about? What do you think happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 0000

using the hard shoulder to get to one of the exit slip roads during traffic

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have seen people get caught plenty of times and Im delighted they were caught!!! Ignoring the illegality of it, it is dangerous because most who drive down the HS tend to do so whilst going fast alongside slow moving traffic. Im surprised that I haven't seen a big incident yet!
    Are you in that much of a feckin hurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

kbannon wrote:
    I have seen people get caught plenty of times and Im delighted they were caught!!! Ignoring the illegality of it, it is dangerous because most who drive down the HS tend to do so whilst going fast alongside slow moving traffic. Im surprised that I haven't seen a big incident yet!
    Are you in that much of a feckin hurry?

Obviously they're more important than the rest of us idiots. It's not just the M50 that this stuff happens on. Dual carraigeways all over the place have this problem. One that comes immediately to mind is Tallaght bypass (N81). The shoulder is a bus lane now but it doesn't stop morons believing it's their own private traffic lane. The bus lane ends with an island and Yield sign at the entrance to the Texaco garage just before the M50 junction.
    Witnessed an incident where a car illegaly using this lane went through the yield sign and smacked into the front wing of a car turning into the garage.

One of these days something similar will happen on the M50, but it won't be a little shunt, becasue the speed some of those people do is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

kbannon wrote:
    I have seen people get caught plenty of times and Im delighted they were caught!!!
    Me too....does my head in when I'm sittin in stopped traffic. What I tend to do is put one wheel on the white line & indicate left & just before they are about to undertake, shift slightly to the left, just daring them to undertake me. Happens an awful lot heading Northbound between the Ballymount & N7 exit. I love when I see the cops pulling them in for it. 0000, I hope you get done for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Whats the problem with traffic moving fast alongside a slow moving lane?? Surely, if someone in the slow moving line of traffic is going to pull out to the left and onto the hard shoulder they shouldbe checking mirrors to make sure its clear, and it doesntmake any difference if the other cars are moving fast/slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The problem is someone in difficulty and needing to use the hard shoulder may not see you if you are travelling at speed.

And what happens when you get to the roundabout (?) and theres an ambulance struck behind you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

The way things are on the M50 they should just install picnic tables on the hard shoulder and be done with it. Seriously thouigh, the cops should come down hard on those who use the hard shoulder as an extra traffic lane, and those who pull over for a chat on the mobile etc..
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

so instead of pulling over you'd rather ppl used their mobiles @ 120kph?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

so instead of pulling over you'd rather ppl used their mobiles @ 120kph? :rolleyes:
    No, I'd rather they obey the law, and not pull over onto the hard shoulder of a motorway, which is meant for emergencies only. If they really must use the phone while driving then they should install a handsfree system, or preferably do what I do ... turn the damn thing off! That's what voicemail is for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Rules of the Road:-

"No stopping or parking on hard shoulder (unless in an emergency, breakdown or by Garda checks)"

Lock thread mods its pointless!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

If you want to adhere to all the Rules Of The Road go ahead, you'll find you're in the minority (regrettably)....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you want to adhere to all the Rules Of The Road go ahead, you'll find you're in the minority (regrettably)....:rolleyes:
    So just because a number of other road users can't be @rsed to adhere to the ROTR, then I shouldn't either????? What kind of attitude is that?

Anyway, I personally can see very good reasons why the ban on using mobile phones while driving, and not stopping on the hard shoulder except in emergencies are there, so I just don't do it, full stop. Nothing to do with feeling self-righteous or anything. Do you think the Government makes these rules up, just to inconvenience you, or because there are good, sound reason to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Thats why insurance is so high in this dam country "nobody abeys them"

fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect this thread has already burned out.

Closed to prevent furthur outbreaks of muppetry.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement