Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud of Pride? Is Pride useful anymore?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think there was an Onion article by that title before.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

The gay pride parade in Vancouver, Canada took place last weekend. It attracted over 300,000 spectators, both gay and straight, and was a huge event. A lot of the big companies sponsored it and put ads in the local papers wishing everyone a happy pride. Many straight local politicians, including the Mayor marched in it.

I'm unsure whether gay pride parades do anything to further acceptance or simply reinforce negative/false stereotypes. However, in Vancouver, where I am now, there is definetely a lot more positive acceptance of gay people than in Dublin and this much bigger and brasher gay pride event(than Dublins) seemed to have only positive reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Stark wrote:
    I think there was an Onion article by that title before.

Dunno if this was what you were talking about but the Onion have just reinstated access to their archives

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28491

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement