Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buslane usage

Options
  • 31-07-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

So its 8:30am, your in rush hour traffic on a rainy Thursday morning, you've been waiting 20mins to get were you are and you see a few dozen cars skipping the queue by using the bus lane and inevitably slows people like myself up even more as they push into the driving lane up ahead. Where's the Gards when you need 'em ...

Right click, Save Target As

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I see from your video clip that those drivers in the bus lane were not the only people breaking the law.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Funk Daddy

Samson wrote:
    I see from your video clip that those drivers in the bus lane were not the only people breaking the law.
    How?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I don't think you're officially meant to play with video cameras whilst your engine is running... (at least I think that's the other law-breaking thing)

Is that actually Law, though?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Funk Daddy wrote:
    How?

Driving* whilst operating a "video camera" is classed as driving without due care and attention, and is a more serious offence than a bus lane infringement.

*He pulled off at the end of the clip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

not allowed hold a phone - if caught you can get 5 points for dangerous driving
    Assuming it wasn't a phone wan was just a crap video camera, then it is still dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Absolute **** is right. I call this the "me me me" attitude. Bascially these ****ers have the attitude that they their time is more important than everyone elses time. They are too lazy to get out of bed on time in the morning so they make up the time by driving up a buslane at the expense of law abiding drivers

I wonder are these the same thick c*nts that barge ahead of others when waiting in a queue in a shops, bus stop etc. Probably :rolleyes:

The only way to combat these is to try your hardest not to let them in. These queue skippers are such bullies that sometimes it's a case of "let me in or we crash". Whether you are willing to stand your ground or not can depend on whether you can afford to have a crash with them. If it's some old bint in a battered old jeep who's barging in and you're a young lad in your brand new car that you've been saving for and are paying 2 grand insurance for who is more likely to yield?

Although sometimes they do get caught out. One day I was approaching the M50/N4 roundabout from lucan. There's a bus lane which ends as you come to the roundabout. 4 assholes were trying to barge in but myself and a couple of other drivers made sure they couldn't. We held them up long enough for a motorcycle cop to catch up with them and give them all tickets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is there no escape from the bloody video camera!? :D

I like to think Ando is doing us a favour by showing us this sort of thing and he was stationary until the final second. I'm sure Ando knows the risks, he certainly does now!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Is that at where the beginning of the M50 on the northside where it meets the R32?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Is that at where the beginning of the M50 on the northside where it meets the R32?

This is the 'bus lane' that is no longer used by any bus route (was for the Aer DART). Apparently there are no plans to hand it back to all road users :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

BrianD3 wrote:
    The only way to combat these is to try your hardest not to let them in. These queue skippers are such bullies that sometimes it's a case of "let me in or we crash". Whether you are willing to stand your ground or not can depend on whether you can afford to have a crash with them. If it's some old bint in a battered old jeep who's barging in and you're a young lad in your brand new car that you've been saving for and are paying 2 grand insurance for who is more likely to yield?

Who would be at fault here?
    I was told when learning to drive you must yield to cars coming from the right - but what about cars coming up along your left hand side trying to shove their ways into us more patient law abiding drivers?
    It's always happening me in Cork on a particular roundabout - if there was a crash who would be liable???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

didnt know that was a bus lane,
    as has been said,
    no bus uses it,
    its not marked and its the left filter lane for soutbound access to the m1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Samson wrote:

ah feck off would ya! I stopped recording once I started moving :D

The only way to combat these is to try your hardest not to let them in.

Yea I did that this afternoon when a taxi tried to go straight at a left only turn, he skipped about 4minutes of waiting and then tried to barge into my lane, right infront of me, I didn't let him in and he had the audacity to blow his horn at me, and then follow me closely for about half a mile

its the n32, from the little roundabout to the start of the m50. Its were the massive new building is being built. It IS marked as a bus lane, free to use on Sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BrianD3 wrote:
    One day I was approaching the M50/N4 roundabout from lucan. There's a bus lane which ends as you come to the roundabout. 4 assholes were trying to barge in but myself and a couple of other drivers made sure they couldn't. We held them up long enough for a motorcycle cop to catch up with them and give them all tickets :D
    Nice one brian, I know the spot. Had a complete w@nkstain in a FIAT Bravo try to barge in on me there. I rolled down the window and asked him "was his petrol more expensive than mine or something?" to which he said something with "fcuk" in the middle. The stupid c*nt behind me let the pr!ck in. I can't understand people who let them in!!!

I consider this the same as the assholes who drive all the way to the end of the slip road and then some before joining the main carriageway (esp. on M50) of a congested motorway. It does my fcukin head in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The N32 was created by Satan's minions. It is the one road I hate the most, and try to avoid if possible. Its like theres a fear of giving normal road users more lanes to drive in.

As a sidenote, since were ranting, Have you seen the road lanes after the entrance to the port tunnel heading inbound (before Whitehall)? From what I can see they have only allocated space for at the most, 3 lanes of traffic, and pushed a load of topsoil off to each side. Its looks permanent as well. This used to be a place with 6 lanes including the two hard shoulders of the old M1. Seriously, wtf are the people who design these layouts thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

M50/M1 to the port tunnel will be dual three lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

murphaph wrote:
    I consider this the same as the assholes who drive all the way to the end of the slip road and then some before joining the main carriageway (esp. on M50) of a congested motorway. It does my fcukin head in.
    Does my head in too. You see this all the time at the M50 blanchardstown interchange (southbound) where the motorway is congested due to the tollbridge. It's a very long slip road with ample opportunity for merging without illegally carrying on into the hard shoulder.

One other related thing that annoys me and has been mentioend in another recent thread - drivers who think that because they're turning left some distance down the road that they're entitled to zoom up the hard shoulder/bus lane (with their left indciator on of course :rolleyes:) while all the the law abiding eejits wait patiently in the proper lane.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Victor wrote:
    M50/M1 to the port tunnel will be dual thress lanes.
    But i mean post port tunnel, as if your heading into town the normal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cAr0l wrote:
    I was told when learning to drive you must yield to cars coming from the right
    Only at a junction of equal importance - i.e. where there are no signs/markings indicating right of way.
    - but what about cars coming up along your left hand side trying to shove their ways into us more patient law abiding drivers?
    It's stated clearly in the Rules of the Road that the driver changing lane must yield to all other traffic already in that lane.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

I've actually seen people done by the gardai for driving in the bus lane. Was totally chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

delly wrote:
    But i mean post port tunnel, as if your heading into town the normal way.
    I don't know what the surface route will be but you will have much less traffic. The N1 is down to two lanes (+ bus lane?) in Drumcondra anyway.

Hard shoulders are not "lanes".

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

ando wrote:
    Yea I did that this afternoon when a taxi tried to go straight at a left only turn, he skipped about 4minutes of waiting and then tried to barge into my lane, right infront of me, I didn't let him in and he had the audacity to blow his horn at me, and then follow me closely for about half a mile

Yeah but the taxis (the ones with the sign on the roof) are allowed to use the bus lanes. IIRC they are not actually bus lanes but public transport lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If you want to get technical then taxis are only allowed to use the bus lane when they have a passenger.

I drive in bus lanes quite often. I don't think my time if worth more than yours I just don't want to waste time in traffic. Sure you get people who block you entering a lane but someone always lets you in so you are always ahead. In the past 5 years I've been caught once and never received a summons for it. I just told the cop the truth when he asked why I had done it. And yes, I also skip queues when ever I can. If I can get ahead of you then that's not my problem, it's yours.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FX Meister wrote:
    If you want to get technical then taxis are only allowed to use the bus lane when they have a passenger.

I drive in bus lanes quite often. I don't think my time if worth more than yours I just don't want to waste time in traffic. Sure you get people who block you entering a lane but someone always lets you in so you are always ahead. In the past 5 years I've been caught once and never received a summons for it. I just told the cop the truth when he asked why I had done it. And yes, I also skip queues when ever I can. If I can get ahead of you then that's not my problem, it's yours.
    One part of the problem (and there are many) on our roads is that people cannot merge properly causing traffic behind to unnecessarily slow or even stop. Its tossers like yourself who believe that they are saving loads of time by skipping queues - you are not! You may save a few minutes - whoopty fúckin doo!

FX Meister wrote:
    I just told the cop the truth when he asked why I had done it.

so what did you say? 'Yea I seen the free lane there and I didnt want to wait like everyone else, so I used the buslane'. What was his reaction? Have you had anyone call you a \/\/anker after doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FX Meister wrote:
    If I can get ahead of you then that's not my problem, it's yours.
    Charming. A few years ago I had a very close call when some numpty coming the other way decided that he was too important to wait in the queue like everyone else and that he'd use my side of the road and leave it up to me to swerve out of his way on a streaming wet road. It's this "ME ME ME" attitude that causes most of the deaths on our roads.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FX Meister, Annoying Other Road Users Since.....? May the next chap you cut back in ahead of remove your rear bumper.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

CCOVICH wrote:
    This is the 'bus lane' that is no longer used by any bus route (was for the Aer DART). Apparently there are no plans to hand it back to all road users :mad:

Would make no difference to the traffic flow. It would be a hard shoulder if it wasn't a bus lane.

Here's a question. Bus lanes are marked off by a continuous white line. To me this means that you can only enter a bus lane at the 'start' or where ever there is a broken white line. When a bus lane is not in operation what is the legal/technical status of this white line?

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote:

No way - me too. I like to leave the waiting for the suckers. But due to the fact that I'm also really clever, I always avoid rush hour and bad traffic in general. Likewise, I have been caught once, and the cop was cool with it, as it was past midnight and I was merely undertaking a poxy Punto and there were no other cars around.

I have also found that most spastics don't realise you can use most buslanes after 7pm, so most of the time I use them it's legal anyway.

Advertisement