Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buslane usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FX Meister wrote:
    I drive in bus lanes quite often. I don't think my time if worth more than yours I just don't want to waste time in traffic. Sure you get people who block you entering a lane but someone always lets you in so you are always ahead

Do you not realise that because of your jumping the queue, others have to waste even more time in traffic? You probably do in which case you're a very selfish person. Your behaviour is anti-social
    Funk Daddy wrote:
    No way - me too. I like to leave the waiting for the suckers

You're a w@nker :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Funk Daddy

unkel wrote:
    Do you not realise that because of your jumping the queue, others have to waste even more time in traffic? You probably do in which case you're a very selfish person. Your behaviour is anti-social

You're a w@nker :mad:

Give a sh*t! thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

FX Meister wrote:
    If you want to get technical then taxis are only allowed to use the bus lane when they have a passenger.

I drive in bus lanes quite often. I don't think my time if worth more than yours I just don't want to waste time in traffic. Sure you get people who block you entering a lane but someone always lets you in so you are always ahead. In the past 5 years I've been caught once and never received a summons for it. I just told the cop the truth when he asked why I had done it. And yes, I also skip queues when ever I can. If I can get ahead of you then that's not my problem, it's yours.

well at least ur honest about it, seems like a few folks on here think they're the bestest drivers in the world when truth is we're all guilty of the same "me me" attitudes (I'll admit I'm pushy on the road but I have my nice moments too).

Remember if you think you're a good driver, you're probably not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys who cars if they use the bus lane. i use it EVERY day at least once.its saves me alot of time and have NEVER been caught so its worth a try.i know its illegal but everyone does it .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

murphaph wrote:

I consider this the same as the assholes who drive all the way to the end of the slip road and then some before joining the main carriageway (esp. on M50) of a congested motorway. It does my fcukin head in.

What the fúck are you talking about? That's what the slip road is there for, i drive down that slip road every day and it's almost impossible to merge because a$$holes don't let you it. Do you expect people to just stop in the middle of the slip road when they can just carry on to the end? Is that what you do? no i didn't think so:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Another thing is when they were doing roadworks southbound on the M50 about a year ago now, the right hand lane would narrow and merge into the left. There would be a big queue in the left lane because of all the people going to the very end of the narrowing right hand lane. Of course, once the lane becomes one, the traffic moves freely so there would be no jam if everyone just kept in the left lane.

A good solution I always thought is to take up both lanes with your car, this way nobody can get by you in the right hand lane and keep the flow ahead going freely and traffic will join more easily. I never did it but now I've a full licence I may start acting the asshole, that's routine right?:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I noticed the gardai were out in force along buslanes along the N4 into Dublin this morning. Hopefully those pulled over were some of the above ássholes

I was actually ripping along the buslane on the N4 this morning (I flew past some sucker in an old box-shaped BMW - must have been you), but when I saw the cops I nipped back in front of a transit van - they're always slower to take off, so it's a given you'll always be able to whip in front of them - they have no choice coz they're so slow. Same for buses, Trucks and losers in Puntos and Yaris'.

Yeah baby, you wouldn't try that **** with me in my Micra;)

Funk Daddy wrote:
    I was actually ripping along the buslane on the N4 this morning (I flew past some sucker in an old box-shaped BMW - must have been you), but when I saw the cops I nipped back in front of a transit van - they're always slower to take off, so it's a given you'll always be able to whip in front of them - they have no choice coz they're so slow. Same for buses, Trucks and losers in Puntos and Yaris'.
    1. Why do you think the "sucker in an old box-shaped BMW" was me?
    2. Is my car really that box shaped? I wouldn't have thought so! Still, boxy or not, until it was replaced by the current version it was pretty much the best rated car by motoring journos everywhere!
    normal_SV400011.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

zing!

Funk Daddy - you got served!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

A lot of the buslanes heading into Dublin are open between 10-12 in the mornings, I use them all the time. And you get eejits beeping at you because you are in the bus lane. Read the f*cking signs you idiots....

I'd only ever use a bus lane if i was in a rush normally, if it was in use at the time as a buslane. But you'll find it a lot easier to make progress in the evenings around Dublin after 7pm, why? Because the other idiots don't read the signs and leave the lanes empty. A case of using the stupidity of other drivers to your advantage I'd say..

Anyhow I actually don't have any buslanes on my route to work, and that only takes 10 minutes... :D

kbannon wrote:
    1. Why do you think the "sucker in an old box-shaped BMW" was me?
    2. Is my car really that box shaped? I wouldn't have thought so! Still, boxy or not, until it was replaced by the current version it was pretty much the best rated car by motoring journos everywhere!
    normal_SV400011.jpg
    Guess it wasn't you then. Must have been another sucker who flashed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote:
    Another thing is when they were doing roadworks southbound on the M50 about a year ago now, the right hand lane would narrow and merge into the left. There would be a big queue in the left lane because of all the people going to the very end of the narrowing right hand lane. Of course, once the lane becomes one, the traffic moves freely so there would be no jam if everyone just kept in the left lane.
    On the contrary ... never heard of merging in turn? On the continent in such situations, there are signs requiring everyone to do just that, i.e. don't try and merge early, but drive right up to the end of the two lane section and merge in turn, i.e. one car from the left, one from the right, one from the left etc. etc. Sometimes it's called zip-merging, or something like that. Basically you're making optimum use of the section of road that has two lanes, thus reducing tailbacks, and formalising the protocol for merging, rather than relying on peoples' good will.

http://www.wegen.vlaanderen.be/verkeer/beheer/beelden/ritsen.gif
    http://www.wegen.vlaanderen.be/communicatie/campagnes/2000/ritsen_affiche.jpg

Of course if everyone worked by the same system the flow would be fine. It just seems cheeky when it says get into left lane and the left lane is held back because of people speeding up the queue in the right lane and trying to barge their way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote:
    Of course if everyone worked by the same system the flow would be fine. It just seems cheeky when it says get into left lane and the left lane is held back because of people speeding up the queue in the right lane and trying to barge their way in.
    You just don't get it, do you :) ?

haha, yeah I do. If people moved from the left lane to the right lane and do the german system and it went left right left right then it would move ok. But that's probably not going to happen in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

BrianD wrote:
    Would make no difference to the traffic flow. It would be a hard shoulder if it wasn't a bus lane.

Why would it be a hard shoulder? Why can't they just have a 2 lane carriageway for all motorists (similar to Merrion Road)? Not all roads have hard shoulders the width of a full lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I think it would be quite ironic to see FX Meister or Funk Daddys car smashed by an uninsured driver, after all then after all in the eyes of the uninsured:
    FX Meister wrote:
    then that's not my problem, it's yours.

And sure every one knows insurance is
    Funk Daddy wrote:
    for the suckers.

so why heed to the law when you can save yourself a mighty buck doing otherwise? Sure I drove uninsured for years and was only stopped once :rolleyes:

Im not naive enough to claim to have never commited an offence on the road, but I would never come on a public forum and brag out my brazen and continuous transgressions, claiming that it was other peoples problem or that they were the "suckers".

Anyone want to join me in a prayer? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Well, I'll fess up, flame to your heart's content - you decide - I drove a good couple of miles on N11 bus lane going south (Leopardstown to Dun Laoghaire) a couple of months back. If you were in there and fuming at a green, loud Impreza... :o

I had set off from D16 at 3:10pm to catch a cat ferry at Dun Laoghaire at 4:30pm, imagining that leaving 1 hour and 20 mins was plenty enough and then some for 9 miles of main thoroughfare, a good third of that on the M50. Foolishly, it turns out that at 4:15pm I was still at the main crossroads with the N11 coming out of Leopardstown (past racetrack), and traffic gridlock'd as far as the eye could see - so little choice in the matter at the time.

Made the ferry, with about 2 mins to spare...

EDIT: if I hadn't had a 'hard' deadline at the time -as in "not being on a ferry floating in the distance"- I would of course have opted not to borrow the bus lane... goes without saying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

We should not be surprised that a 25-ish goth/heavy metal type who likes G 'n' R, Family Guy and admires WWF as "Real wrestling" thinks that driving in the bus lane is acceptable. He's just living the dream.

I'd kill to know what he drives. What's the bets he's a 4 ft nihilist with a focus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

drdre wrote:
    guys who cars if they use the bus lane. i use it EVERY day at least once.its saves me alot of time and have NEVER been caught so its worth a try.i know its illegal but everyone does it .:D
    Actually if everyone did it, it wouldn't help you one little bit -- it'd be as jammed as everywhere else.

Personally, I think buses should be equipped with buslane cameras that snap licence plates and you get sent a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

We should not be surprised that a 25-ish goth/heavy metal type who likes G 'n' R, Family Guy and admires WWF as "Real wrestling" thinks that driving in the bus lane is acceptable. He's just living the dream.

I'd kill to know what he drives. What's the bets he's a 4 ft nihilist with a focus?
    I suspect that Funk Daddy used to post here using the nick Herbie747. Very similar trolling style and comments about box shaped BMWs. I seem to remember that Herbie747 drove a Mazda Xedos.

As for FX Meister - this poster is well know for talking sh1te and trying to wind people up. Looks like he has succeeded :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Wow, too many replies to quote. To start, I save more than a few minutes. A couple of years ago I used to travel from DCU the old Glasnevin 3/4 mornings a week. No bus lane, 25 mins, bus lane 5 mins. That's almost an hour a week on that stretch alone. I'm not holding up traffic, I'm using a part of the road that's free and clear, getting to my destination faster so spending less time taking up space on the road. And as for Jivin Turkey, I was hit by an uninsured driver, but I made money our of it in the end as I exagerated my claim. Please don't start with the "your the reason insurance is so high" crap, we both know that's not true. You can't compare driving with no insurance to using bus lanes, and if you do you are a moron. Apart from using bus lanes I am quite a courteous driver and I never run red lights or speed. I cause no danger on the roads driving in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

cormie wrote:

That's only one possible way of seeing things - in Germany it's both law and stressed on the driving school curriculum that when a lane is due to end, you should use it right to the end. Where the lane ends, traffic in the adjacent lane must allow traffic to filter in alternately (the so-called zipper-system). Although there's no such rule here, it would be a Bad Thing(tm) if every driver, becoming aware of a lane closure in, say, 1km, suddenly barged into the other lane with great urgency.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

mackerski wrote:
    That's only one possible way of seeing things - in Germany it's both law and stressed on the driving school curriculum that when a lane is due to end, you should use it right to the end. Where the lane ends, traffic in the adjacent lane must allow traffic to filter in alternately (the so-called zipper-system). Although there's no such rule here, it would be a Bad Thing(tm) if every driver, becoming aware of a lane closure in, say, 1km, suddenly barged into the other lane with great urgency.
    One thing I've noticed in Ireland is the lane that is coming to an end often moves faster than the lane into which it is merging. Surely both lanes should move at the same pace if there is a "zipper" process happening at the merge point. What i reckon is happening is you get lots of aggressive drivers in the lane which is ending who are not afraid to go right to the end of the lane and then bully their way in. You get more conservative drivers in the lane which is continuing. What happens is that 3 or 4 bullies then jump ahead of one car slowing everyone in that lane down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

FX Meister wrote:
    You can't compare driving with no insurance to using bus lanes, and if you do you are a moron.
    Its actually extremely simple. You are both assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

BrianD3 wrote:
    One thing I've noticed in Ireland is the lane that is coming to an end often moves faster than the lane into which it is merging. Surely both lanes should move at the same pace if there is a "zipper" process happening at the merge point. What i reckon is happening is you get lots of aggressive drivers in the lane which is ending who are not afraid to go right to the end of the lane and then bully their way in. You get more conservative drivers in the lane which is continuing. What happens is that 3 or 4 bullies then jump ahead of one car slowing everyone in that lane down.

The zipper process relies on two principles:

1. The person in the non-ending lane yielding. When properly applied, each car yields to one single car from the ending lane.

2. The person in the ending lane managing to effect an efficient lane change. This does, as you suggest, imply that he be moving at the same speed as the hole into which he wishes to fit.

It is only beneficial to the drivers wishing to merge to adopt the tactics you've mentioned in the absence of the conditions that would be present if point 1 were applied. It is also certainly true that in the absence of a zipper culture, more assertive (let's call them) drivers are the ones more likely to merge late, where the meeker ones will get the hell out of the ending lane ASAP. What you ideally want is full use of both lanes until the last minute (in the case of queueing traffic) or a gradual spread of cars merging at a convenient opportunity over the entire remaining length of the ending lane in flowing traffic.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

FX Meister wrote:
    And as for Jivin Turkey, I was hit by an uninsured driver, but I made money our of it in the end as I exagerated my claim.
    You are soo stupid to admit this on on a Internet forum.
    Anyone have that telephone number for reporting people who exagerate insurance claims??

• Advertisement

Insurance Confidential
    1890 333 333

@ FX Meister - start worrying! :D

Advertisement