Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open ports on Netopia Wireless Router

• 31-07-2005 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

Anybody know how I open ports on the Netopia 3347WG router?!!
    I've had a good flick through the menu but it's not very obvious. I've tried the following
    http://192.168.1.254/ - Expert Mode - Configure - Advanced - NAT - Define Custom Service - Trigger Ports
    On the next screen there are two options
    Global Port Range: and Global Port Range:
    I want to open port 6881 but not sure what to enter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

port 6881, eh?
    :rollseyes:
    Well, youre trying to open this port for bittorrent downloads.
    i'd suggest you simply open 6000 to 7000
    global port range starts at 6000 and finishes at 7000.
    If it asks you for an IP range, just put in 1.1.1.0 as the start and 254.254.254.0 as your end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    port 6881, eh?
    :rollseyes:
    Well, youre trying to open this port for bittorrent downloads.
    i'd suggest you simply open 6000 to 7000
    global port range starts at 6000 and finishes at 7000.
    If it asks you for an IP range, just put in 1.1.1.0 as the start and 254.254.254.0 as your end.
    That's all great but...has anyone got first hand experience of opening a port on the Netopia wireless Eircom router. It shouldn't be this difficult. Here's a screenshot. What dya reckon I put into each of the required fields?
    untitled4qo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

service name bittorrent
    range 6881-6885 [more if your intending on having more than 3 of 4 torrents running at once]
    local trigger port 6881

dont open 1000 ports up for security reasons.

just a question, is there port forwarding instead of triggering?
    triggering isnt the best option for bt

Chalk wrote:
    just a question, is there port forwarding instead of triggering?
    triggering isnt the best option for bt
    Yes there is....what would you suggest
    untitled2ir.jpg

• Advertisement

OP: You should open 6000 - 7000. If you want to have a bunch of torrents running at the same time you will need most of these ports open. There is no security risk.
    Here, I'll even edit that screengrab
    hooha2va.jpg

you dont need 1000 ports open,
    just the ones you want to receive data on,
    ie 6881-6885
    simple as that.
    why you think having 1000 ports open is a good thing is beyond me.

worms etc use open ports on systems to hijack them,
    having 1000 ports open makes you more susceptible to that risk,
    although a software firewall will protect you,
    its still nice to have that extra line of defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

dont forget you need to enable the new service on the custom service screen too!

just select "bittorrent" from the dropdown menu and click enable.

Chalk wrote:
    worms etc use open ports on systems to hijack them,
    having 1000 ports open makes you more susceptible to that risk,
    although a software firewall will protect you,
    its still nice to have that extra line of defence.

Worms will haijack your system!
    Bullsh*t.
    If you want to get decent speeds, you will need to open up a bunch of ports.
    I found that my overall download speed stalled at around 800kilobytes a second when I only had 500 ports open. However, opening them up right to 7000 sorted the problem. My combined download speed now hits 1300 kb/sec.
    But of course this will depend on the number of connections that each torrent is making with another client. And indeed how many simultaneous torrents you download.
    Many Isps have an automated system of blocking ports in the torrent-like ports if they show too much traffic.

I value extra download speed higher than the .1% risk of trojan hijacks.

look,
    if you dont believe in virii thats your problem

im not trying to get into an argument with you,
    but what your saying makes no sense.

opening a port that isnt in use does nothing.
    simple as that.
    to run one torrent takes 1 port in bittorando,
    to run multiple takes 1 port in azureus.

unless your running 1000 torrents 1000 ports is pointless.
    no isp will block you for excessive traffic on 1 random port,
    on the known p2p ports maybe,
    but theres no record of that happening in ireland anyway.

so to sum up,
    there is no extra speed gained by opening 2 ports when your only using 1,
    much less opeing 1000 when your only using 1.
    its your call what you do with your system but providing bad advice isnt on.

• Advertisement

worms etc use open ports on systems to hijack them
    Look. You must have something running allready on one of these ports for a worm to 'hijack' it.
    no isp will block you for excessive traffic on 1 random port,
    on the known p2p ports maybe,
    but theres no record of that happening in ireland anyway.
    Wrong and wrong.
    (wrong 1)My isp, cox.net has a policy of blocking ports between the 6000-7000 range when theres seriously high traffic on it. Thats why many people set their bittorrent clientsto use a random port between 6 and 7k. So when my ISP blocks port 6500 because I transferred 500 mb of data on it, my client automatically switches to another port.

No popular services except bittorrent run between 6000-7000. There is NO danger of anything happening.

(wrong 2)Irish isps DO throttle specific ports in specific cases. If a downloader is transferring gigs and gigs of data, on a basic bb package, Esat and UTV have been known to throttle 6881-6999.
    Hence opening up 6000-7000.
    --
    I do believe in viri, yes. But I find that when I have no services running on 6-7k, then opening up those ports is no risk.

To sum up.
    Yes, 1000 ports is a little overkill, but it lies well within the margins of acceptability.
    Its your call what you do. But giving flawed advice and stating your opinion as fact isnt on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    To sum up.
    Yes, 1000 ports is a little overkill, but it lies well within the margins of acceptability.
    Its your call what you do. But giving flawed advice and stating your opinion as fact isnt on.
    What torrent client do you use? If you use Azerus or another single port client opening ports which it doesn't use or need will not make a difference to the client. I suggest you simply change to Azerus it's a very good client, the default torrent client uses many ports but they are not necessary. If the port is blocked opening up more ports which are not used solves nothing: the solution is to simply use an open port that the application KNOWS it should use. The fact that ports 6000-7000 are open means nothing to an application that only requests port 6881 from the OS.

VinnyL wrote:
    dont forget you need to enable the new service on the custom service screen too!

just select "bittorrent" from the dropdown menu and click enable.
    That's great, exactly what I was looking for, works grand now

Advertisement