Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing imersion

Options
  • 31-07-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Need to replace my imersion heater, just need to know how to drain the cylinder of water, and stop it from refilling when imersion is out, is there taps somewhere for this and how can i identify them?, or is there a need to do this at all,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

There should be no need to drain the cylinder to replace the immersion unless it's on the side as some of the newer systems use two immersions for economy.

Make sure you have all heating appliances switched off and the immersion disconnected at the switch before starting any removal work.

Turn off the main cold feed into the cylinder, usually coming down from the attic and into the cylinder at the low point on the side.

Run the hot water tap in the kitchen sink to drain off as much of the water that you can, this should take no longer than 3 > 5 minutes.

Use a towel at the base of the cylinder because there is usually a small amount of water that will come out from the top of the cylinder.

Make sure you use a good quality immersion spanner that will get even pressure around the old immersion, apply pressure to the spanner starting gently, take care not to start hammering the end of the spanner, the cylinder is made from surpisingly light copper and can crease if the spammer is given the "shock treatment".

When it is unscrewed clean off around where the old washer was, a piece of light wet n dry sand paper works nicely.

Use the new washer that comes with the replacement immersion, when threading the immersion into place start gently to avoid damaging the threads, when it is hand tight apply the final pressure with the spanner.

Turn the water supply on again and check for any weeping around the immersion apply an extra bit of pressure if needed, then re connect the wiring.

Take great care when wiring the immersion use a notepad and write down the order the wires were in originally as the new wiring may be to the new colour code (20 years is new).

Best of luck if I have left anything out I'm sure someone else will correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

Thank you pete, you help is greatly appericated, plan on giving it a go this evening, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Pete has covered everything except:

Use Boss white on both sides of the immersion washer, also put some inside the thread on the cylinder.

Good luck!

Advertisement