Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AON Bike Test

Options
  • 31-07-2005 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm doin some training next week with an MSA instructor. If I pass, I get a 25% discount on my insurance. The thing is, my speedo doesn't work on the bike, and I'm in bad need of a new back tyre. Thing is, I cant afford to get these things fixed until after my insurance is paid off :mad: :(

Do you guys think that the MSA instructor will fail me for these things wrong with my bike?? Am I better off getting another loan from the bank to get these things sorted or should I just go ahead and do the test??

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Definitely sort your rear tire. If it was in a really bad way I wouldn't test ya.

Best of luck in the test, try and do better than a pass. Then you'll be able to pay your loan off double quick when the insurance company sends you a check.

I got the 35% when it first came out and I was only expecting a bare pass, (I missed the higher again grade by one point. Nuts.)

Tips for you. Get and wear a high vis vest like the builders wear. It doesn't matter how bright you and your bike are wear a high vis because the insurance company who dictates to the tester likes them. So wear one. It'll get you a few points and can make the difference.

Wear biker gear with armour in. Wearing the heavy protective gear is good, but if it doesn't have all the padding in, knees, elbows, shoulders etc you won't get those points.

Make sure your licence plate and lights are sparkling clean if you can't get the entire bike clean for the test. Make sure coolant levels, oil levels and chain is in good order. Does your Speedo look broken because he'll only see it when the bike is stopped.

That said you can't be breaking the speed limit on test at all so unless you've been riding a few years (and observing speed limits while doing it) you won't be able to judge your speed without it.

Oh, and hold your helmet like your a Garda... it looks well professional. ie. protected upright under your arm. err... lemme try and find a photo. Don't hold it by the straps whatever you do though. Generally treat it like a wee baby. Don't balance it on your bikes seat or anything. Even go as far as putting it on the ground, it can't fall any further from the ground. Although if its raining just keep it in your hand or on your head.

Make sure your wearing it and have it strapped on any time you take control of your bike, to move it or anything.

You probably won't be asked to move it on the Aon test, its a little more real world than the government one.

Anyway, give us a shout back when your done and tell us what you though of the MSA. Are you doing the training and test package or are you just going down for the test?

Advertisement