Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make pasta sauce!?

• 31-07-2005 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how to make a decent white sauce for pasta quills? (Or any kind of pasta really).

I want to make a good pasta, chicken and maybe sweetcorn dish and I want it to be completely simple so it turns into something I can cook after coming home from work.. i.e. nice and quick.

I had pasta with chicken in a restaurant recently and it was fantastic, I should have asked for the receipe! The sauce was the key.

Im assuming the main ingredient is cream? Thats a bit fattening though.. so can anyone give me a simple creamy guide to a pasta sauce!!? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You could use a All-In-One white sauce recipie (http://www.deliaonline.com/cookeryschool/howto/how_0000000058.asp) and enrich it with some cream mixed with the milk I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

For Alfredo sauce, I melt about a teaspoon of butter in the pan, then add some cream (generally 1/3 of a large pot per person). Heat it (stirring constantly with a wooden spoon) and then add some salt and pepper. Remove from the heat after 3 or 4 minutes, grate in some parmesan cheese and it's ready! The most taxing part of the recipe is actually grating the cheese - the whole thing is cooked in only about 5 minutes.

You're right about the sauce being quite fattening & heavy - but the way I look at it, there's no harm in it once in a while and there are no preservatives/additives like in the store-bought jars (which are designed to sit on shelves for months).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

vibrant wrote:
    For Alfredo sauce, I melt about a teaspoon of butter in the pan, then add some cream (generally 1/3 of a large pot per person). Heat it (stirring constantly with a wooden spoon) and then add some salt and pepper. Remove from the heat after 3 or 4 minutes, grate in some parmesan cheese and it's ready! The most taxing part of the recipe is actually grating the cheese - the whole thing is cooked in only about 5 minutes.

You're right about the sauce being quite fattening & heavy - but the way I look at it, there's no harm in it once in a while and there are no preservatives/additives like in the store-bought jars (which are designed to sit on shelves for months).

Now that sounds like a plan ted!! I might try it with half fat cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

My Pasta Recipe:

Serves 4
    Takes 25-30 mins

Ingredients:

500g Pata shells
    1 large red pepper
    1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    10 medium Mushrooms
    1lb+ lean rashers
    1 tub creme freche
    Ceyenne pepper to taste
    Olive Oil.

1) Boil pasta.

2) While pasta is cooking, chop all vegetables to desired size. Personally, I cut peppers long and thin, dice onion, finely chop garlic and slice mushrooms.
    Heat olive oil in large saucepan and add vegetables.

3) Cut rashers into small chunks. Fry on frying pan with olive oil until they start to turn brown. Add to vegetables in saucepan and stir.

4) Remove heat from saucepan. Strain pasta and add to saucepan with vegetables and rashers. Add creme freche and shake cayenne pepper into saucepan to taste. This is the key. Its spicy so add to taste.

5) Serve with garlic bread and glass of red wine.

Mouth watering, trust me. Its a hit with my family and my girlfriends family. Its the kind of thing that you would sit down and eat and eat and eat until you cant stand. :) The more times you make it, the quicker its prepared. I have it down to 15 mins depending on how long the pasta takes.

Advertisement