Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the GameCube dead at this stage?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

tbh I see it more that Nintendo are removing the GC from the market before they do make a loss.

I agree that multi media is getting big even in games consoles, but I think the next gen machines will see if this will actually be possible as the XBOX360 and the PS3 are just like the previous machines from the companies, awaiting to do everything the next ten years will throw at us, but tbh, I have a PC for that stuff, and maybe a barebone in the livingroom for the stuff I want on the PC.

the new machines won't be a 'mod friendly' as the PS2 and XBOX, so I think the way that Nintendo is going and has always gone, will be a success with the revolution.
    I mean, do you really need so many processing cores for next gen machines?
    We have seen what is possible with 1 additional processor, and I think it was Gabe Newell, from valve, who said, it is going to take at leat two to three years until games can truely support this tech, as apparently it requires the entire source code of games to be written to specifically acccess those resources in the XBOX and the PS3, not sure about the Revolution, but I am sure as it has less cores, it will be 'easier' to write for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Gilgamesh wrote:
    the new machines won't be a 'mod friendly' as the PS2 and XBOX, so I think the way that Nintendo is going and has always gone, will be a success with the revolution.

how do u no this? u have a ps3 or xbox360?
    Gilgamesh wrote:
    We have seen what is possible with 1 additional processor, and I think it was Gabe Newell, from valve, who said, it is going to take at leat two to three years until games can truely support this tech, as apparently it requires the entire source code of games to be written to specifically acccess those resources in the XBOX and the PS3, not sure about the Revolution, but I am sure as it has less cores, it will be 'easier' to write for it.

well with that logic y dont we just stick wit the current consoles for the next 10 yrs or go back to the nes/snes/n64 days (funny enough the revolutions main selling point)

ok dispite the fact that i will get flamed here i hate zelda as its too cartoony for my liking (and YES i have played tro all the most recent ones) just i want more adult looking games...

and EU a niche market? wtf? do u call a market of 400million consumers a niche market? its a fact that nintendo just isnt as popular as it once was here (and this cud change in their homeland too as we have had only 2 consoles from sony and 1 from m$)
    retailers are not stupid, they want to make money and they sell wat people buy whether it be endless fifa titles or killer7 they dont care just want money and guess what sells? i dont personaly like it as much more thought and love goes into games like killer7 then some crap movie game just quickly released in time but thats how it works!
    you also like to bring up how nintendo has been doing this the longest well thats true but have they faced this kinda competition in the past? they have only ever really faced fellow games only companies like sega or atari not the giants that are sony and microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Gilgamesh wrote:

Excellent point - that's what killed off alot of 3rd party support for the Saturn, and if the Revolution used multiple proccessors, it would probably kill off Nintendo's console business.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Gilgamesh, do you honestly think sony are not making a profit on the PS2 market? Do you also smoke crack on a regular basis? :rolleyes:
    Sure they would initially sell the consoles below cost and make the cash back on software sales, but over time the manufacturing process becomes cheaper due to refinements to manufacturing techniques, falling costs of components etc. Playstation is the best performing part of the entire sony corporation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Stephen wrote:
    Gilgamesh, do you honestly think sony are not making a profit on the PS2 market? Do you also smoke crack on a regular basis? :rolleyes:
    Sure they would initially sell the consoles below cost and make the cash back on software sales, but over time the manufacturing process becomes cheaper due to refinements to manufacturing techniques, falling costs of components etc. Playstation is the best performing part of the entire sony corporation.

Its funny considering that Ninty were initally meant to be releasing the psx WITH Sony, but pulled out.....bet they regret that one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BloodNinjaCult

LookingFor wrote:
    Yup. Just so you're aware, the staff are encouraged to "push" Xbox aswell (at least there was a time when this was the case). How many PS2 sales can you "convert" today? The advice by staff is not necessarily independent or the person's own opinion.

You sir, talk out of your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Its funny considering that Ninty were initally meant to be releasing the psx WITH Sony, but pulled out.....bet they regret that one!
    yeah it was their answer to the megaCD wasnt it? wat actually happened do u no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Philips said they would do it cheaper. Nintendo then gave Sony the cold shoulder at a press conference by announcing it and didn't tell anybody at Sony.

The Playstation hardware contains almost all the components of the Snes. Thats why it is easy to port Snes games to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

You sir, talk out of your ass.

he speaks the truth. I, as a GAME worker, have never pushed anything I myself did not believe to be worth your money. ill let you know if somethin is good or **** imo and everyone I work with is the same tbh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Gilgamesh wrote:
    the GC is the only console on the market which is mainly purchased for it's sole reason, playing games.

Are you trying to say the PS2, and Xbox, are 'mainly purchased' for something other then playing games? The DVD video playback may be an incentive, but there not the main reason why most people buy a games console.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Gilgamesh wrote:

This is a ridiculous statement. The new machines wont be mod friendly! The current machines when they came out first were not mod friendly, well maybe the xbox was a bit but it only takes 1 person to crack it and then its out in the open. Believe me anything with micro chips and software can be modded just takes time.

At the moment true we do not need so many processing cores, they are ridiculously over powered. But lets not forget thats now! Whats the life span of a console? Think of it in 3-4 years timewhen your pc is by far out stripping your PS3 or 360 power wise. How powerful will they look then. This is not about now and what we can do now, its about giving the consoles the longest life possible.

True it will be a lot trickier to write games for, initially, but this will come with time. Your writing to 3 seperate cores rather than one so small 3rd party companies will suffer from the out set. It always takes about 3 years anyway for companies to fully get to grips with new machines and start pushing great graphics at us. This is nothing new, just think when companies get fully up to speed how good will games look and feel? Forza Motorspot or Project Gotham with 3 cores doing driving physics? Hell yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Eh, no. The PS2 outsold the GC in Japan this year, and the GC was in fact also beaten by the PSP.

Talk about ridiculous

Europe is the second biggest gaming market in the world behind USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

monument wrote:
    Are you trying to say the PS2, and Xbox, are 'mainly purchased' for something other then playing games? The DVD video playback may be an incentive, but there not the main reason why most people buy a games console.

Yes, I also thought Giglameshe's point was quite stupid, it seemed to me that he just made this up out of his head - I guarantee that if there was an accurate survery, the number of modded consoles is nowhere near the amount of consoles that remain untouched throughout their life span. I've owned 2 ps2's, a cube, an xbox, all my friends have ps2's - not a single one between us is modded.

I certainly didn't even vaguely considering modding possibilities when I purchased the xbox, ps2, or whatever. And I don't think the majority of true gamers do either. Its about games, true modding is an extra or necessity for some but the large majority buy a console for its games.

About legal hardware included dvd playback, thats a bonus point, but not going to generally make or break a console....again, its all about games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was in HMV on grafton street yesterday and they had a large selection of gamecube games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Whenever I go into a shop like HMV or Virgin nowadays, there's always just one little corner for Gamecube games. But I've never had trouble finding new games when they came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Much the same as PC games in my local gamestop, unfortunately. They've got one shelving unit in a dark corner between a load of Xbox stuff and the remaining cube stock. The other shelves that use to house more PC stuff are now packed with DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Checkmark.gif

To da b0ne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I bought a GC from HMV not too long ago. The one on henry street still sells the games aswell, and you can get games from Game.

I like that corner, it seperates us from the mob. :D

When buying games, it either from a second hand basket, or online. There's no way I'm paying €60 when you can get it off play.com for €45...

Advertisement