Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband usage allowances

• 31-07-2005 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Ok I may sound like a real dummy here in comparison to you computer whizzes but could anyone give me a rough idea to how much time on-line and how much you could download in terms of music/dvd's with a 8GB download load cap with eircom? I'm switching from dial-up to broadband (home starter), I know it will be more than worth the while switching from the obscenely slow dial-up but I'm just wondering will it be really worth it in terms of time on-line since I'm only really limited to 30 hours on average a week due to costs.

Thanks,

A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

could anyone give me a rough idea to how much time on-line and how much you could download in terms of music/dvd's with a 8GB download load cap with eircom?

Well, it would be 24/7 time online. As it stands with Eircom, you could download as much as you wanted because they havent yet charged for going over your cap. Also, Eircom dont have a 8Gb cap anymore. Home starter is 4 gigs and home starter plus is 16.

Best advise would be to go with another provider. NTL or BT if you can. But if you dont want to change over your phone to another company UTV have it so you dont have to change your phone if you dont want to.

Main point: dont go with Eircon. Home starter plus is too expensive for something that you can get cheaper elswhere. Home starter has a terrible cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Eircoms starter package Download/Upload is 4GB/1GB.

BT package for the same price excl. line rental is 12GB/12GB.

Honestly I would choose BT over eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

I ordered Eircom a broadband home starter two weeks ago and I have a 8gb download/1gb upload. I think the 4gb it says on their website is a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

madfistbt wrote:
    I ordered Eircom a broadband home starter two weeks ago and I have a 8gb download/1gb upload. I think the 4gb it says on their website is a mistake.
    I don't think it's a mistake. You probably got your order in before the new packages came into effect.

It says on my welcome letter that all home starter broadband packages ordered after the 4th of July have 8bg down 1gb upload. I think it was unlimited upload and the same download before. They should set the record straight if there advertising 4gb and it actually is 8gb, but I definetely have a 8gb download. Actually even 8gb is a bit poxy id be pissed if I only had 4gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

wtf i just checked my usage for last month the sum of unload and download was 115Gb oh crap :D

wtf i just checked my usage for last month the sum of unload and download was 115Gb oh crap :D

Jesus, are they gonna fine you for that? If not Im gonna do the same :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

oh sorry im on an uncapped service (should have mentioned) but that wasnt a heavy month downloading most of it was a friend in UK downloading from me some erm .... really large MS word documents.

but ive heard so some eircom users going higher than this and not getting any fines but if you were done (charged) even one month, well you may need to re-enforce the floor in your hall for the bill landing on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

8Gb isn't a lot really as caps go. That will get you only about 12-15 movies assuming they are in VCD or Mpeg4 format. Its plenty for songs. Its perfectly fine for just about any other use, excepting perhaps extended business use.

Note that many filesharing programs need your upload too, you have to watch out if that is capped or not also.

If you expect to be a serious downloader, you need to start looking at 30GB+ packages. You also need to start looking at packages with a high U/L rate, and a high U/L cap or no U/L cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 prechaun

Can anyone tell me where the hell you can check how much you downloaded with eircom? I cant find it anywhere on the site. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

its stickied in this very forum

dslstats.eircom.net

Advertisement