Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! Need Torque.ie dns settings

• 31-07-2005 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

I need primary and secondary DNS settings to reset my router (don't ask) and get my broadband back and office closed till Tuesday...so if you know them could you PM me?

This is wireless broadband through an ethernet router and the router needs the primary and secondary dns specifically assigned (currently I am in the interesting position where the only part of the internet I can access is my own router).

Or if you know a way to find them? I have tried EVERYTHING.

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Use the nameservers they're using?
    % Rights restricted by copyright; http://www.domainregistry.ie/copyright.html
    % Do not remove this notice

domain: torque.ie
    descr: Richard Ashe & John Byrne
    descr: UNINCORPORATED ASSOCIATION
    descr: REGISTERED BUSINESS NAME
    admin-c: RA41-IEDR
    tech-c: RIH12-IEDR
    nserver: NS1.LEAPBROADBAND.IE
    nserver: NS2.LEAPBROADBAND.IE
    source: IEDR

person: Richard Ashe
    nic-hdl: RA41-IEDR

person: Register.ie Hostmaster
    nic-hdl: RIH12-IEDR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Thanks dhamasta but I tried THAT by midnight Friday and about 50 times since...

The IP numbers:

Are pretty much engraved on my heart at this stage, but they don't work :(

I THINK it's a different type of nameserver because leap broadband uses totally different nameservers for subscribers, and they don't work either :( :
    Primary DNS : 217.67.140.90
    Secondary DNS : 217.67.143.10

SOMEBODY must know them...I have a feeling I have got very close at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

You should be able to use any public DNS server. So you could temperarily try eircom's nameserver 159.134.237.6
    If this doesn't work you should look at your router/firewall and make sure you have not blocked DNS (TCP port 53) by mistake. Can you ping external IP addresses ok?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Like azzeretti says you should be able to use any public DNS server, your ISP's nameservers are just preferred because they're closer to you (in networking terms). There's no such thing as a "different type" of nameserver, a nameserver's a nameserver. Something else is wrong.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

All the IP's you like are working fine as DNS servers, there is something else wrong with your connection :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Wait, you mean to tell me that torque have a dodgy connection! That NEVER happens...oh wait.

I dumped them and got DSL

Any ping times out...

I have firewall totally disabled.

Can't begin to figure it...maybe it's the gateway address I need to get, because I've been deriving that from ipconfig?

Tomorrow, when the offices open, it's going to turn out to be something SO SIMPLE...

Interesting thing though, if I ping my assigned IP from a dial in on laptop it kills the smc gateway access...

Also, it replies from a different IP, I am wondering if THAT IP should be my gateway NOT the smc related gateway that shows up in ipconfig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You need to use the isp's gateway, not a local one...

That's probably the missing setting then...which I don't know...makes sense because it is as if the smc barricade is looping back to assigned IP and the rest of internet is inaccessible...

So what is needed is a gateway between smc and ISP and there isn't one :(

Bet it takes 10 seconds to sort this out tomorrow and the right setting is one I have already tried in a different place :o

• Advertisement

I'm assuming that you are running windows?

Go to a command prompt and type: 'ipconfig /all' and post what is said there...

Thanks ALL...just deleted all the details from ipconfig (not sure it's wise to post 'em on public board) but yez are all brilliant...your input helped me figured it out for myself and learn a LOT about the workings of WAN (which had rather mystified me hitherto in case you hadn't noticed)

used ipconfig with the "all" switch...

Sat down and thought, and thought about the differences in the settings between ipconfig and the router and FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Ipconfig is set to the router ip and router gateway, so it follows that the router needs to be set to assigned IP and ISP Gateway.

I had the theory ok except I had DNS and ISP Gateway mixed up...

The ISP Gateway appears in literally ONE email I sent to myself (and I suppose the IP on my earlier postings but I suspect to get THAT I'd have to buy so much beer for so many admins it would be cheaper to buy my own satellite :D and it wouldn't have done me one bit of good until I figured out where to put it just now!)

Thanks again...

Thatss the setup you need alright. Just remember the gateway is where your stuff has to go if the destination is not on the lan. :)

Advertisement