Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reptuation Feature

Options
  • 31-07-2005 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭

Hey do you's use the user reptutation feature of vBuletin? If s can we see it or is it admin only?o
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Hey do you's use the user reptutation feature of vBuletin? If s can we see it or is it admin only?o
    Its been removed due to abuse of the rep system. Ah green meanies.
    Did get a little outta hand.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ha ha, the rep system was a joke.... Yes, i'm bitter cause I had crap rep ;)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Dam that would have been cool to see. Im just messin bout in a demo of the vBulletin the admin features arepretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

What were the effects of good/bad rep anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Severe or not so severe genital warts.

• Advertisement

Arabel wrote:
    What were the effects of good/bad rep anyway?
    Think that was the prob, No one really cared. As i recall "The Syco" had a mountain of bad rep and no one really cared,think it was all in fun = you gave him bad rep he gave you good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

best thing about the rep system was the ability to leave private comments on individual posts...also kept the forums free of the "lol" type posts which clutter threads.

I'd love the comment part of the rep sytem to be reinstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It was a flawed system that became pointless when the comments were no longer anonmymous.

*The ability to give repp should not be proportional to ones standing already (communist within me comming out)
    *Reward and punishment (as it was percieved) created a great deal of conformity and nearly ruined feedback and politics.

That being said by the time it finnished I had a hell of a lot, thank you TCN

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

RuggieBear wrote:
    best thing about the rep system was the ability to leave private comments on individual posts...also kept the forums free of the "lol" type posts which clutter threads.

I'd love the comment part of the rep sytem to be reinstated.
    Indeed, simply as a messaging system it'd be nice. Rep had negative outcomes both times boards has used them.

However, rep stopped due to abusive comments (afair this was at least a major factor).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it was a bad idea for it to be here tbh.

but it does have potential for the for sale forums

Dunno if its possible on vBulletin but what a bout incorporating the rep system in the For Sale Forums - similar to eBay (more feedback like karma)
    This was brought up before and knocked on the head but cant remeber why?

Nukem

Cremo wrote:

but it does have potential for the for sale forums

*snap*

My god you've killed him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Teeehee seems like ive started a right debate here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

yeah the rep system for the For Sale forums would be a really good idea.

The private comments thing is also something I didn't know about (probably before my time) but sounds cool. Bring it back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It was a crap system. It is too easy to rig good/bad marks on it. also other muppets were leaving anonymous (or so they thought) comments to users. At least one person got banned over that.

more here.. [wiki]Reputation[/wiki]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

it's flaw was in the Cuckoo' Nest reputation thread. Everyone just gave everyone positive rep in a popularity bonanza. I liked it. the For sale rep idea is a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Let's not forget the deluge of "OMG I got bad rep sum1 ban him plz!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah I had the second highest rep before it was abandoned. I made the Cuckoos Nest thread so that's why :D

I don't see the point of it, although a F/S rep system might work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

you deserved that high rep giblet, don't listen to anyone that says other wise.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

oh ya I remember that thread Giblet!
    I had the 6th or 7th highest rep on boards but I am still glad its gone.
    it was a feverish battle to the top...Beruthiel was number one from start to finish though...
    thats cuz everyone reallly does luv her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

LATIN BEAT wrote:
    it was a feverish battle to the top...Beruthiel was number one from start to finish though...
    Or is afraid of her. Not sure which...

Giblet wrote:
    although a F/S rep system might work.

Mmmmmm..........been thinkin bout this. How would you moderate it?
    Similar to eBay where you just add comments after receiving your purchase. And you get a % rating as the old green wasnt exact with the amount you got.Is there something built into vBulletin already or could the old Karma system be adapted. How would you restrict the messing that went on with rep. Subscribe to the F/S forum;get an account per say - that actually would help as well. Where do the Admins stand with people just using boards just to sell stuff? Noticed a few really low posting people just selling?

NUKEM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well you could assign a moderator, just like in Ebay, the seller could reply to the feedback. And it would be public. I dunno how feasible it is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

LATIN BEAT wrote:
    SMAK was number one for weeks before the end...

Giblet wrote:
    Well you could assign a moderator, just like in Ebay, the seller could reply to the feedback. And it would be public. I dunno how feasible it is though.
    Pre-moderating the feedback before it is actually displayed sorta thing. That sounds like a job for a lot of mods IMO. Is there anyway you could tag the selling and buying.

Example.
    I want to sell you something - i use the helpdesk to ask for a credit (so to speak) for the sale of............... to the moderator/s of that F/S forum ........ Let the bartering begin,when finished close the thread when the sale is completed and ask the buying party to submit feedback. Seems like work though don't it:mad:

Dunno maybe the Admins have a souper plan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nukem wrote:
    Pre-moderating the feedback before it is actually displayed sorta thing. That sounds like a job for a lot of mods IMO. Is there anyway you could tag the selling and buying.

Example.
    I want to sell you something - i use the helpdesk to ask for a credit (so to speak) for the sale of............... to the moderator/s of that F/S forum ........ Let the bartering begin,when finished close the thread when the sale is completed and ask the buying party to submit feedback. Seems like work though don't it:mad:

Dunno maybe the Admins have a souper plan ;)
    Well, could the forum be changed to allow the seller (i.e. the person who started the thread) to tag who they decided to sell the item to, thus closing the thread to feedback from anyone but the person buying which can be premoderated as suggested. It should be beasy enough to make sure that these changes only effect certain forum numbers.

Yes i see where your coming from but then you might get off thread haggling and allowing someone other than a mod to close a thread *den den dan:eek:* (eary music).

A time to allow whatever is to be sold could be allocated. Say mods get a rake of items that need to be sold via helpdesk. they approve and then is auto allowed in at a certain time (may caus a rush but could stagger them too).

There are so many option its unlimited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I think the point's been raised before that a forum isn't the best place to sell things because of the limited reliability of the people you're buying from (I've never had a problem with buying from people on boards.ie btw... but it'd be very easy to have someone just taking the piss or selling something that's borked)

Maybe a dedicated For Sale type software (there must be some sort of Open Source software for it that could be installed into boards the same way Photopost and Multi-User Wordpress has been) that could replace the for sale forums...

But this would be a lot of work for the poor poor admins :)

Advertisement