Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being an RA?

Options
  • 31-07-2005 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

well, my sister's just back from CTYI and is busy reminding me how awesome it is. being a nevermore and very almost a college student(zomg college), can anybody here tell me what sort of qualifications/requirements there are to be an RA? and how do I apply?

I'm pretty sure I can do the whole sleeping in the quad during class time thing! ^_^

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

AFAIK the absolute minimum is to be 18 with one year of college under your belt.To apply just ring the site office and get an application or whatever they give.Other than that, don't know any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Application asks about whether you have child care/supervision experience, and then about things like work experience and exam results and that sort of thing.

They don't have a little box to tick concerning sleeping-in-the-quad-during-classes skills, alas... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

Excellent. thanks, you two ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

I'm 16 and I've just finished my Leaving Cert. I'll be 17 on August 21st. Does that mean I can't be an RA next year, even with a year of college done? I think I would have to be 18... but I'm just making sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You have to be 18 and have 1 year of college done. Minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

Damn. Thought so. Thanks anyways

-Soph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

do many ra's/ta's have the requisite childcare experience?
    or is that not necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

and do they get loads of applications or just enough to fill the spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

doonothing wrote:

Oof! Wounded pride here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭abraham lincoln

Outcast wrote:
    and do they get loads of applications or just enough to fill the spaces?

very many. there are many exaggerated figures as to how many, but i'm pretty sure that this year they got around 190 applications for r.a.s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

doonothing wrote:

Did you not pick up on the very-very-very-experienced vibes from the staff? Tut tut. :p

There were more applications than positions available, 'tis true. So it's always good to be able to say "look, I looked after kids this one time and none of them went on fire or anything!"

Also, avoiding committing crimes would be a good plan. *nods*

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Avoiding committing crimes? That's not fun! So i can either not be an RA or return my spoon................

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Actually a surprisingly large number had a lot of childcare experience, what with Helen being a secondary teacher, mary primary, and grace had done a fair bit of that sort of work before iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nun robber

not all of us were hired for experience in minding kiddies,

you need a balance of good results, wide knowledge, sense of humour blah blah blah the usual stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

Things like being a Prefect in school counts as "childcare" experience too; changing nappies doesn't usually come into the job but dealing with angsty teenagers does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nun robber

mneh, judging by catriona and colm though i reckon ye needn't worry about being ra's for a wee while, if u are serious about it - apply when ur around 20 with some college behind you and make a point of being cynical as ****, believe me it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

wounded pride...? im 16!

at least wait til im 18 and have actually applied and been rejected for the ra thingy before you start slaggin me over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

nun robber wrote:
    mneh, judging by catriona and colm though i reckon ye needn't worry about being ra's for a wee while, if u are serious about it - apply when ur around 20 with some college behind you and make a point of being cynical as ****, believe me it helps
    Aye, seeing as i was the youngest at 19 in session 1, and dont think any of the others were younger than myself in session 2 (though i wasnt the youngest TA) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Well, I'd ask my brother about being a TA, but he's clearly too busy watching football. As anyone in Psychology A might know, he claims that he didn't become an RA because it meant he couldn't drink, so bear that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

you can't drink!!!??? that's crime!!!!!

meh, i'm off with 14 weeks now:) championship makes it worthwhile :D

• Advertisement

Are you f*cking stupid? Do you really think it's a good idea for someone who is supervising 13 year old children 24 hours a day should be allowed to do so under the influence of alcohol?

Crime my hole, it's common f*cking sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Raphael wrote:
    Are you f*cking stupid? Do you really think it's a good idea for someone who is supervising 13 year old children 24 hours a day should be allowed to do so under the influence of alcohol?

Crime my hole, it's common f*cking sense.

true enough.... but they get days off don't they....

Yes, on which you can do what you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Fabulo

Well, except, like, molest talented teenagers... That might be a little bit taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

*shrugs* Never stopped Matt or Pierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Bertie told me that they were desperate looking for male RAs and that more than most of the applicants were female

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

HeyYou wrote:
    Things like being a Prefect in school counts as "childcare" experience too

So Hogwarts is a real place then... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

LordCran wrote:
    Well, I'd ask my brother about being a TA, but he's clearly too busy watching football. As anyone in Psychology A might know, he claims that he didn't become an RA because it meant he couldn't drink, so bear that in mind.

Ah so your Kevins brother then... Dave the RA thought I was you when I was wearing my glasses... Did you go to session 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Yes, I did go to Session 2. I did the mighty IH. Anyway, I wouldn't expect Dave to be smart. He thinks he's a pirate. It's weird, everyone who knew Kevin seems to know about me. Did he go around the place shouting about me, or was it the fact that he brought me stuff from home that gave it away?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Jade Chihuahua

LordCran wrote:
    Yes, I did go to Session 2. I did the mighty IH. Anyway, I wouldn't expect Dave to be smart. He thinks he's a pirate.

I'll have you know, pirates invented intelligence as a weapon of mass destruction against the Welsh. Besides, Dave rocks, who else got their own signature roar of approval, DDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

Advertisement