Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband line question

• 01-08-2005 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭

I'm getting Sky+ installed in my bedroom and they need the box to be connected to a phone line. The only phone socket we have in the house is in the hall, but, i have a wire coming to my room for broadband. Could i use a phone on the line, too? Or would i need to bring another connection in?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

bennyx_o wrote:
    I'm getting Sky+ installed in my bedroom and they need the box to be connected to a phone line. The only phone socket we have in the house is in the hall, but, i have a wire coming to my room for broadband. Could i use a phone on the line, too? Or would i need to bring another connection in?

Cheers.

That should work. Out of the one hole in the wall, I have 2 sky boxes, 1 phone and broadband coming from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Right, I've put a phone socket box (if you get what i mean) on the end of my broadband line to use for the sky plus box in my bedroom, and i've just been testing it. The broadband works fine, except when a the phone is being used. Is this normal?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bennyx_o wrote:
    Right, I've put a phone socket box (if you get what i mean) on the end of my broadband line to use for the sky plus box in my bedroom, and i've just been testing it. The broadband works fine, except when a the phone is being used. Is this normal?

You need a DSL filter on each phone socket in your house.

The phone socket that has the broadband connected to it usually has a filter that has two RJ11 ports (telephone ports) on it. One port goes to your Broadband modem/router, the other goes to whatever telephone equipment you like (including fax, sky+ etc.)

Every other phone socket in the house also needs a filter, however this filter normally has only one RJ11 port, for the phone (or fax, sky box) that you want to connect to the socket.

This should fix the BB disconnecting problem, I hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Just dawned on me about the filters, cheers. Now i need to find one before sky come tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Advertisement