Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The humble Irish spud.

• 01-08-2005 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

What is it that this national food is so bad? This years "new" potatos crop has been a culinary disaster. They, as ever arrive months after the imports (can't help that I guess) but when they do turn up on the shelves the quality is terrible. They are already "over" as far as I can see with significant discolouration and flakeyness, oh and they have no taste

Compare the Irish spud to the sweet Italian, Israeli and Jersey imports and there is no competition.

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

cant beat the good oul spud boil em mash em stick em in a stew :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

you can't beat a new ballycotton potato
    mmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I can't stand these potatoes tbh. I can't wait to be rid of them and get the better stuff in a few months.

Better than the ones that taste like bloody soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

I would only ever buy Irish potatoes, Millons of tons of irish potatoes are dumped every year, due to the increasing amounts of imported ones, this is must stop IMO,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

The real reason their dumped, and foreign ones are imported is probably as mike65 says, the Irish ones taste crap in comparison. Not to mention intentional overproduction by greedy Irish farmers who get EU subsidies for them whether anyone buys them or not.

I'd obviously prefer it to be different, but your taste buds don't lie.. the Irish ones recently aren't as good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement