Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its the CL Final

• 01-08-2005 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Ok its the CL final, and its 0-0 and theres like 10 seconds left, and you are a defender.

You're goalie has come out of the box, missed the ball, and the Striker has gone past him.
    You have the chance to body check him and take him down outside the box, and the ball will go harmlessly oiut of play.
    You will get sent off obviously, and they'll get a free kick.

Do ya do it?
    I had this out with a friend of mine and he says he wouldn't want his team to do something like that, that its against the spirit of football, to which I said, bull****

Would you 53 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 53 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Take him out!! haha!! wats the vid of that goalie years ago that nearly killed a player on a one-one situation!! that would be me!!! haha!!!

Course you would do it and your manager would sack u if you didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

He is going down if i was the last defender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Ten seconds left? Hell yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

if i was a defender and its the CL final if would be unconsioucs (sp?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Can't understand anyone not doing it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

with 10 seconds left there is no doubt about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Champs League final ?.............id shoot the striker if I had to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I knew he was weird :)
    Who voted no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

right this has happened to all of us that play the game pro evo (iss) and we all do the same thing , take him down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

You gotta take him down. They'd get a goal if you dont, and so the heartbreak of losing. Or they could score from the freekick....but still! There'd be no way of coming back if they scored in the dying seconds, so it is a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Take him out for sure no two ways buckle the b@$t@rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

PHB wrote:
    Ok its the CL final, and its 0-0 and theres like 10 seconds left, and you are a defender.

You're goalie has come out of the box, missed the ball, and the Striker has gone past him.
    You have the chance to body check him and take him down outside the box, and the ball will go harmlessly oiut of play.
    You will get sent off obviously, and they'll get a free kick.

Do ya do it?
    I had this out with a friend of mine and he says he wouldn't want his team to do something like that, that its against the spirit of football, to which I said, bull****

Against the spirit of Football me bollix if it means saving your team then so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Take him down. However if I was close enough to bodycheck him, I'd probably be close enough to try a proper tackle.. then trip him if I missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'd have to - Hell, I do it down in St. Anne's after 10 seconds in a league match most Saturdays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

You'd definately have to take one for the team, what good is 11 players if you go a goal down with 10 seconds to go??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

if you get sent off in a CL final, you might not get a medal. Also, every other professional in the game would think you were a piece of shìt.

I still voted yes by the way.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

i'd tackle him or kick the ball out of play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

no tackle and your other 10 mates dont get one either ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Ironicly, I was involved in something similar to this sometime around Feburary. I play RB and I got caught out and played a striker onside and I chased at the speed of sound(literaly). He beat our keeper and just went in and hoped for the best. I got the ball cleanly and flattened your man. We won the game 2-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

That isn't irony mate, more coincidence.

I think that the point of the question is that you can only either take him out or he can score and win the game. If you take him out you will be vilified and ye may lose the game anyway. If you don't then you have at least upheld the rules of the game and have not brought the game so cynically into disrepute in the biggest game of football in the world most years. I am not sure what I would do, I have never been involved in a game of that magnitude and will never be, I am a hugely competitive person but I do not cheat in my personal affairs or in my professional life and I would like to think that I would not do so regardless of what it was I worked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Rugby tackle him, anything just take him down.
    As regards being a cheat, it's a professional game and sometimes in all professions the rules get broken (admitedly not usually in front of 500 million TV viewers :p)

I'm sure the club in question would give the player in question a pat on the back for that especially if they ended up winning the game.

I recall someone doing that for Man Utd a few years back in the FA Cup (Not the Final) does anyone remeber who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

evilhomer wrote:
    I recall someone doing that for Man Utd a few years back in the FA Cup (Not the Final) does anyone remeber who?
    Solksjaer did it against Newcastle in a league game that they had to win as far as I remember.

Hardly a player that you would think would have been the cynical type!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Solksjaer did it against Newcastle in a league game that they had to win as far as I remember.

Hardly a player that you would think would have been the cynical type!

They don't call him the baby faced assasin for nothing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

What if the other team had made all three substitutions, and you injured him in the process? 10 on 10, then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

theres no "would u or wouldnt u" about it. anyone would. its the manner in which u do it thats the key. i'd try and make it look like i was goin for the ball at the very least. failing that i'd dive on the ball and worst case scenario, just put me arms around him and hold him and maybe wrestle him to the ground (i wonder wud that be frowned upon if it was womans football...oh and sepp blatter get his "hot pants, tight shirts" wish, hehe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Luke Chadwick hacked down vladi smicer at old trafford in a similar manner a good few years ago!

think it was one of the "danny murphy games".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I'm sure the shame of being sent off in the Champions League Final would be tempered somewhat if your team went on to win in Extra time or penalties due to your match saving foul.

So yes, I'd take him out if I had to. It would be different if there wasn't ten seconds left though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

evilhomer wrote:
    As regards being a cheat, it's a professional game and sometimes in all professions the rules get broken (admitedly not usually in front of 500 million TV viewers :p)
    Rules are there to be broken and punsihed with a red card card and free kick. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Body Check no chance would make sure of it

It it is me he's going home in a f£$king Ambulance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

of course i would there would be no doubt in my mind, take one for the team.

as for the people who said no, i cant understand why. 10 seconds left opposition player rounds the keeper(outside the area) you are last defender, atmosphere is electric, opposition fans already celebrating, your fans looking on in despair. Now dont tell me you wouldnt take that ****er out without a thought about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

I remember watching a football programme on sky a few years ago. IT named a dream team but they weren't neccessarily the best players. ONe of the players was a defender chasing a faster striker from the half way line. In sheer frustration the defender slid for the ball despite the fact it was well ahead of him and never would have got close to it. Basically he tripped the striker head over heels without ever intending to go for the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

thats an easy one make it harder like your 1-0 up with 10 min left in the same situation!

take him down and its 10 men for 10 min if they score they will prob score again in extra time

or let him score and try beat them 11 on 11

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

id take the ball off him no probs there,
    then id run the pitch probably down the left wing cause thats the thing to do really,
    then cut in onto my right boot by a mile and half from goal, pull the trigger top corner no worries.

Advertisement