Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Removing Linux on a Dual-booting PC

• 01-08-2005 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Recently I've become very pissed off on my dual-boot install of SuSe. It seems I'm a total n00b on installing anything. There seems to be so many plug-ins and dependencies I have to get just to install one program. It gets even more annoying even one software depends on something and you can't install that something because that also depends on something I don't have installed! :mad: I usually can't find the dependencies and/or can't actually get them to install for one reason or another so now I've given up. Such a nightmare...

Now I would like to remove SuSe from my computer and reclaim the space it has taken on my 2nd Hard drive. You see... I have to actual drives and one is for windows only and the other one has been split into two partitions; One partition of that drive for Linux only and another for XP's page file.

Is it possible to un-install Linux while still being to boot back into Windows at each startup automatically? Because I think when I uninstall Linux it will also remove the GRUB bootloader and then I can't boot into XP. Is it possible for XP cd to repair the boot system so it can boot into itself again? If so, how do I do that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On restoring the Windows bootloader:
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grub/2002-11/msg00053.html

I don't know if there is any benefit to having two partitions on one drive, with the pagefile using one of them. Fixing it is obvious: move the PF to the other HDD, reboot, remove all partitions from the second HDD, format as NTFS, move the PF over and reboot again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

seamus wrote:
    I don't know if there is any benefit to having two partitions on one drive, with the pagefile using one of them.
    Incredibly detailed article about it here, sitting in my Temp directory for reading for ages.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

errr... I get this message. (In the attachment)
    Should I continue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes.

Advertisement