Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

vnc problem

• 01-08-2005 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Using vnc to control another computer in another part of the house and more or less is working perfectly. The only thing I can't figure out is when I tell the remote machine to re-start vnc does not re-start and I have to go to the remote machine and manually start vnc(go into start/progs/vnc etc). I have had a look in vnc's options but cannot see any box to click to enable it but when I installed vnc on the command computer it seems to have automaticly done it as vnc server starts every time I boot up pc

Thanks
    Cubix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

re-install vnc, and select the start vnc as a service.

so it will start when you pc starts, have a look in services.msc maybe its there already but set to manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

1.the easiest way would be to put it in the startup folder of the host machine as a shortcut 2. if you use a vnc install, not just a zip, theres an option to register it as a system service so it will be started at startup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Have you added vnc as a service? Should be an option in the start > programs vnc menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

great minds think alike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

what os?

win98
    you can just double click on the startup folder in the start menu, and drag and drop a shortcut to vnc in the window

xp
    service speil like the lads said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can also start the VNC service remotely, so you don't have to get up and do it.
    sc \\computername start WinVNC4
    That's assuming you're running XP, 2k or NT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks as always lads for the great tips and the quick response ;)

Cubix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Still having no joy, as suggested I made sure the "start vnc as a service" was ticked when I re-stalled but no joy. Also stuck a short cut in the remote machines startup folder but when I double click it from the main pc I get the error below. Seamus when I use your command "sc \\computername start WinVNC4" I do need to be doing it in dos window?. The only thing I changed was the computer name and left the rest alone but still does not work.

Cubix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The name of the service on the remote machine, may not be "WinVNC4" :)

Go to Start -> Run... -> type services.msc and hit OK (on the remote machine). You should then be able to find a service in that list called WinVNC or VNC Server, or RealVNC, or something similar - depends on the vendor. If it's not there, it's not installed as a service. If it is there, double click on it, and make a note of the "Service Name" at the top of the General tab. Put the service name in instead of the "WinVNC4" I have in the command line above.

That command can be run from the Run box or the command prompt. Only on Win2k or XP though (and possibly NT).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget that if you have a firewall you've to open the port to the other PC.
    Port 5900 by default - and only share to PC's on the local subnet unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

The service is probably "VNC Server" - if you are not sure start it manually and then type NET START at the command prompt, it will list all the started services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement