Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant connect to ip address! Help pls

Options
  • 01-08-2005 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have just rented a games server with Euroservers.net, and everything was fine, untill they moved thier servers. Now, everyone in my clan that are UK based, can connect fine, no problems, but i cannot connect to the gamesserver itself, nor can i FTP the ip address. I have contacted Eircom ( My ISP ) and they do not know what the problem could be, but i have posted and asked ppl to try the ip, and people with Eircom cannot see it, but 1 person with NTL could. Im baffled, and need to get this sorted, im on Eircom 2mb business starter, and have a Netopia 3347W router. Ive updated the firmware to the latest, and still nothing. I have a static ip address, and have tried disabling/enabling static nat, and have no other problems connecting to port 27015 on other servers. I am just ready to pull my hair out, as this has me baffled. A friend of mine has Irish broadband, and he doesnt see it either, tho he see's the status of it bieng not responding. Other isp users see it fine, please any help or suggestions apreciated.

IP: 83.217.76.54:27015

I did a visual route from the same pc, and it says packet loss at international backbone, but when i try and ping it, it says request timed out.

Sub

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I can ping the IP without the port number attached. Are you sure its correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

ftp fine to the ip,
    eircom broadband in dublin.
    screnshot attached

http://homepage.eircom.net/~austinville/ftp.JPG

Pinging 83.217.76.54 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 83.217.76.54: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=52
    Reply from 83.217.76.54: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=52
    Reply from 83.217.76.54: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=52
    Reply from 83.217.76.54: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 83.217.76.54:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 47ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Really? mind me asking what isp you are with?

IP IS DEF 83.217.76.54:27015

eircom guy just said that that site is blocking ip's that start with 83.XX.XX.XX

Is he right?

Sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, I'm on Eircom.

Pinging 83.217.76.54 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 83.217.76.54: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=52
    Reply from 83.217.76.54: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=52
    Reply from 83.217.76.54: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=52
    Reply from 83.217.76.54: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 83.217.76.54:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 48ms

• Advertisement

not sure,
    eircom tech support like to say that to people ;)

to confirm go to control panel > internet options > connections tab > lan settings
    and put a tick in use proxy,
    enter webcache.eircom.net and port 82
    se if you can connect then.

i am with eircom but have an ip starting with 213.xx.xx.xx today.

nvm the above,
    seems thyve disabled that webcache thingy :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

What firewall is being used? Do you have access to it? If it's an older firewall, then it could easily be blocking 83.x.x.x range (which was previously an unassigned range, and therefore being blocked by a lot of firewalls).

cgarvey wrote:
    What firewall is being used? Do you have access to it? If it's an older firewall, then it could easily be blocking 83.x.x.x range (which was previously an unassigned range, and therefore being blocked by a lot of firewalls).

Firewall is disabled, still same prob. i think it is a wider problem, as other ppl with eircom and IBB cant see it either. This one has me baffled, i spoke to the guy in charde of the server, he says 83.XX.XX.XX is not blocked, in fact he said the servers see each other with ip that starts with 83.

Sub.

I can't offer any more help then I'm afraid .. IBB and eircom both hand out 83.x.x.x IPs so that would explain why I thought (and still think) it's a server-side firewall problem. Open a ticket with the host to see if they block 83.x at a network level. I've seen this problem at least 10 times in the last year, all were firewalls using old range assignment details. Only 1 was blocked by the host (a small US co-locator), all others were dedicated firewalls or software firewalls on the server itself.

So be confident in what that guy says (as in, is he a cowboy, or does he definately know his stuff). If you are then check with the host. Do a traceroute to see where the 1st failing hop is, which will help narrow it down. Compare that traceroute with a "working" one. Usually the last 2 lines (at least) are common, so if it gets to somename.host.com and then theserver.host.com in the working route, and you can see it gets a response from somename.host.com but fails on the theserver.host.com hop, then you can cast more suspicion on the server itself.

.cg

• Advertisement

but if the host ip is 83.xx.xx.xx.
    then surely they wont be blocking 83.xx.xx.xx traffic?

Right, you'd think!

So an eircom 83.x.x.x IP can telnet to 83.217.76.51, which presumably is very near your server (or an additional IP on your server!), but can't see 83.217.76.54. (.57, .58 are also fine). So it's not a blanket 83.x.x.x block by the host (real root) which, as you say, would be unlikely anyway.

So it still seems likely, that my original theory still applies. I'm guessing the server (and it's power management, console access, etc. included) have got ~5 IPs. Some of them respond just fine (and don't block any ICMP so you can do full trace routes), which I'm guessing are the unfirewalled management cards. Others like .53 and .54 are probably assigned to the ethernet card, and are being blocked by a software firewall. Without knowing more about the setup, I can't be of much more help I'm afraid.

.cg

thanks all very much much for the help, even though the problem isint resolved ( and i will have to go somewhere else for hosting ) i have learned a good bit anyway. i did a tracroute, and it got to International backbone step 12. then said packet loss after this bridge etc. I hope i will not have the same problem with another games hosting company.

Thanks again all, the help understanding was really appriciated.

Sub.

Advertisement