Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sequels that should never have been?

• 01-08-2005 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

What movies would have been better left without a sequel?

1) The Matrix: Absolutely loved the first one. The way it ended, it could have been left alone. I was happy when the second came out, but it wasn't a patch on the first. I have to admit I did think like it, some very entertaining scenes, but it became unnecessarily over-complicated. The third one I found a bit boring. I think if it was left alone, more people would look back at it as a bit of a classic, but I think a lot of people's opinion has been marred by the sequels.

2) Blade: The first one is a classic in my eyes. Loved it to bits when it came out. I was excited when Blade II came out but I thought it was a huge letdown. I preferred Trinity to II, but I still don't think it cut the mustard.

3) Battle Royale: Great film. Not so great sequel. Although to be fair, things went wrong. I read that the director died a few days into it, is that true?

I'll probably post a few more, I'm sure there's ones I might have forgotten. I think it's a bad idea bringing out a Saw sequel, thought the first one was good with a decent twist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Batman and Robin: Do I have to explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Exorcist II, III etc.
    The Sting 2
    Jaws II and the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Beverly Hills Cop 3
    The Godfather Part III

Or could have been made better

I don't understand what problem people have with the Godfather 3...it fit into the story and ended the saga.

I think I missed something when I was watching it for the first time, can someone tell me why hardly anyone I've talked to like that film?

Back on topic, I think any of the Disney cartoon film sequels (Aladdin 2, Lion King 2, etc) are desperate (although don't know if that counts).

I agree with Jaws 2 and the rest, they were bad films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Godfather part 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Damn Im slow :-)

The reason the Godfather part 3 sucks donkey dick is because its got the whole feel good happy go lucky hollywood vibe to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Austin Powers- I enjoyed the first movie beacuse i thought that the sense of humour was orginal, in the 2nd and 3rd films they just went overboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

AAAAARGH! I forgot about the Aladdin sequel, what a load of cock

The two Austin Powers sequels pretty much had the same jokes (although the beginning of the third film was good), that was the bad thing about them.

I didn't think Godfather 3 was "hollywood-ie", just not as good as the first two...must watch it, it's on RTE over the next few weeks.

Another one, I love spoof films, but Airplane 2, again, had the same jokes as the first except it was in space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

2) Blade: The first one is a classic in my eyes. Loved it to bits when it came out. I was excited when Blade II came out but I thought it was a huge letdown. I preferred Trinity to II, but I still don't think it cut the mustard.

Yep. Wholeheartedly agree with that. Watched the original on tv there the other night. Hadnt see since the cinema back in 98.
    Forgot what a fantastic film it is. I love the look and feel and sound (has a fairly minimalist soundtrack compared to the two that followed) of it. And i think the sequels lost all of that and were marred by ugly CGI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

is_that_so wrote:
    Exorcist II, III etc.
    The Sting 2
    Jaws II and the rest
    I enjoyed Exorcist III (the 1990 one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Toy Story 2. Not a bad film, just nowhere near as good as the first. A complete money-spinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Robocop 3. Ugh.

Terminator 3. UGH.

Jaws 3. UGHHH.

See the trend? A second film can be good, but by the third, it gets to a joke. Another Example:

Matrix Revolutions. Ick.

Scream 3. A third of the scariness, 4 thirds of the ****ness.

Starship Troopers 2. Now, I loved this movie, but it should have been made as a stand alone unrelated movie, but I guess thats where the money lay...

Missing in Action 2/3/4. Jesus, did anyone REALLY like the first movie??

Spiders 2. First one was a laugh, second one was just...what? wtf is this??

Cyber Tracker 2. Good god, the first one was so bad, I didn't think a sequel could have possibly been finacally or morally possible. But there you go....

Texas Chainsaw massacre 2. Boooooooooooring.

The Ring 2 (hollywood). Ethics behind the movie = $$$$

Fortress 2. Ah Christopher, you have grown desperate...

Highlander 3....see above.

Dusk Till Dawn 2/3. Cheap, average tosh.

Of course, there are loads more, this is just a few I have in my head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Godfather III
    Alien Resurrection
    Predator 2
    Terminator 3
    Tremors 2 +
    Matrix Sequels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Starship Troopers 2. Now, I loved this movie, but it should have been made as a stand alone unrelated movie, but I guess thats where the money lay...
    Oh man, how did I forget this. What a bad, bad movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Once Upon A Time In Mexico. I can understand remaking El Mariachi once, it was a tiny budget afterall, and the idea of making it again with more explosions and Antonio Banderas worked well with Desperado (very well, in fact)

Once Upon A Time In Mexico was just boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Ocean's 12! aweful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Highlander 3....see above.

Ahh, now, i kinda enjoyed that film.

And roll on 2006 for Highlander 5 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Exorcist III and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 are both amazing movies.

xXx2 should never have been made.
    But then again, neither should xXx.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Star Wars episodes I,II & III - complete and utter arse

lets not forget the countless friday the 13th sequels, Halloween sequels, Nightmare on Elm street sequels, Leprechaun sequels.
    My god I think there is a bit of a horror movie trend going on here

• Advertisement
Advertisement