Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist attack in Liverpool

• 01-08-2005 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't directly football related but thought i'd post it up.

Joey Barton's brother is wanted by police investigating the murder of Anthony Walker in Liverpool. It was a racist attack where the 18 year old was attacked by a gang with an axe and has upturned the whole city since it happened.

Anthony was a massive football fan and i for one hope the people who commited this ghastly act get whats coming to them

R.I.P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Yeah its sickening.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why on earth did you feel the need to include such non-information as "Joey Barton's brother is wanted by police"?

And why is this titled "racist attack" as opposed to "attack with a big fûcking axe"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

yeah i just posted it under j.barton thread. shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Davei141 wrote:
    Yeah its sickening.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4736275.stm

As they waited for a bus outside the Huyton Park pub with his 17-year-old cousin they were subjected to a "torrent of racial abuse" by a man in his 20s wearing a hooded top.

They did not retaliate and left to find another bus stop, but were followed and, as they walked through a park, were attacked by a gang of up to four men.

Mr Walker's girlfriend and cousin ran to get help. When they returned Anthony was slumped on the ground with massive head injuries.

An axe was found embedded in his skull.

Sickening indeed... and coming so shortly after Joey was in the news for the wrong reasons.
    I was in Manchester last week and talked to a few people who knew more about the Bartons (when talking about the Man City bust up).... not exactly the pillars of society it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

shocking story,and an axe,who walks around the streets with an axe,crazy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Why on earth did you feel the need to include such non-information as "Joey Barton's brother is wanted by police"?

And why is this titled "racist attack" as opposed to "attack with a big fûcking axe"?

Why do you call the barton reference non information? it was in todays telegraph so its certainly not "non information".

The title is racist attack as that is what it was. That is what it is being called in the media so i don't see what your problem is ??????? don't think i've said much that isn't in the quote below

Telegraph today

"The brother of Premiership footballer Joey Barton is being sought in connection with the racist murder of a black teenager, police have said."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Wouldn't suprise me if police asked Joey Barton for info on his brother and his whereabouts.

R.I.P

ianomccabe wrote:
    Why do you call the barton reference non information? it was in todays telegraph so its certainly not "non information".

It's completely and utterly irrelevant to the story, is why, regardless of whether or not it was used to sell The Telegraph. Even if Joey Barton himself were being questioned by the police it would not be a salient point. And he's not, his brother is, allegedly. This is a story about a young man being killed in the street with an axe. Is that not bizarre/horrible enough that the need is felt to make some tenuous tie-in to football?
    I probably came across like I was attacking you, sorry for that, but it really annoys me the way newspapers in some countries publish the names of anyone and everyone they feel like, effectively connecting them with crimes before so much as a question has been asked or a statement taken.
    The title is racist attack as that is what it was. That is what it is being called in the media so i don't see what your problem is ??????? don't think i've said much that isn't in the quote below

Why is the apparent motive used to describe the crime in some cases and not in others? If a man attacked and killed a woman with an axe after calling her degrading names, would the title be "Sexist attack..."?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Totally the wrong forum for this - was the attack related to football(after a match) etc

FFS A footballers brother is wanted for questioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

this thread should be moved

• Advertisement

I thought people within the football forum might want to know of a fanatical football fan, like all of us, who had to go through this.

Apologies if this irritated some people. I never claimed it to be a football related post but thought football fans might have appreciated hearing about it.

It's being called a racist attack because the lad was subjected to racist taunts and then chased down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

People are completely over-reacting here. The story has a tenuous link to football alright, but it is a link none-the-less. Plus the story is featured on many of the top football websites (F365, Guardian Football, BBC (linked from football page)), so ianomccabe is quite justified in posting it here.

Cheers Serbian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Serbian wrote:
    People are completely over-reacting here. The story has a tenuous link to football alright, but it is a link none-the-less. Plus the story is featured on many of the top football websites (F365, Guardian Football, BBC (linked from football page)), so ianomccabe is quite justified in posting it here.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I would hardly call F365 a top football website tbh.It's more along the lines of the sunday sport news wise. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Yes this attack is absolutely sickening and my heart goes out to the family of the innocent victim but this has absolutley nothing directly to do with football and should be moved ASAP.

what is the big deal?

i haven't hurt anyone by posting this in here. if its the wrong forum then so be it. no need for this big security clampdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

ianomccabe wrote:
    what is the big deal?

i haven't hurt anyone by posting this in here. if its the wrong forum then so be it. no need for this big security clampdown

There's no big deal at all but it's in the wrong forum has ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL. We're just asking the mods to move it to the correct forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

now i can see where joey it gets it from.

I think the fact joey barton made a statement about it all means its has a place in the football forum.

Like serbian posted before why if its got nothing to do with football are

bbc football

the guardian football

football 365

all reporting it?

• Advertisement

That's a very good question, why are sites with dedicated sections for crime classing this under sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

There's no big deal at all but it's in the wrong forum has ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL. We're just asking the mods to move it to the correct forum.

A footballer made a plea for his brother to hand himself in, theres your football link. Quit freaking out.

Advertisement