Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If I ever catch the w***er...

• 01-08-2005 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

...who decided that putting 15-20 minutes of television adverts on before a movie in the cinema was a good idea, I'll kill him. We are forced to endure a quarter of an hour of adverts for Vodafone, 3 different cars, 2 O2 ads, etc, etc. What happened to the days when a few trailers for movies used to be shown?

Or maybe this is just something that the locals here do? Does it happen anywhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Happens in Dublin all right. I don't mind it too much personally, but I love the trailers at the beginning of the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

...who decided that putting 15-20 minutes of television adverts on before a movie in the cinema was a good idea, I'll kill him. We are forced to endure a quarter of an hour of adverts for Vodafone, 3 different cars, 2 O2 ads, etc, etc. What happened to the days when a few trailers for movies used to be shown?

Or maybe this is just something that the locals here do? Does it happen anywhere else?

And its always the same ****ing adds. Vodafone live, etc.....arghhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Oddly, I had the same experience today. 20 minutes of ads before the film, I was fit to be tied!

I include in this the trailers: they should be shown after the film in my humble opinion. If I'm interested I'll stay.

The only way to stop them showing the ads is to boycot the advertisers and let them know why. Won't happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just be glad your not in america let me give the rundown of how bad it is here.

-you get a entertainment program called the twenty which is aired befroe the movie for twenty minutes giving crappy interviews and sneak peaks of tv shows, bands and movies...

then the 15 minutes of horrible adds.

and maybe 1-2 movie trailers...

i'm just thankful our television hasnt gone the same way as the US (so many ad breaks AHHHHHH!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

it is getting worse lately. very few trailers, maybe 2/3 max. most of the time is spent on ads :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    you get a entertainment program called the twenty which is aired befroe the movie for twenty minutes giving crappy interviews and sneak peaks of tv shows, bands and movies...

then the 15 minutes of horrible adds.

and maybe 1-2 movie trailers..

I think I'd leave and ask for my money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

why don't you do what everyone who doesn't wish to see the ads and trailers does - go into the auditorium 10-15 minutes after the start time of the film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm all for movie trailers, but what really gets me is the constant malteasers/diamonds/vodafone live crap we have to sit through. I don't buy food for the movie anymore, I buy it to get through the ads!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yeah, I remember when you'd have a string of trailers on, some good some bad. Now there's just ad's and maybe 2 trailers, that's it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

eth0_ wrote:
    why don't you do what everyone who doesn't wish to see the ads and trailers does - go into the auditorium 10-15 minutes after the start time of the film!
    As much as I hate the ads, I like a decent seat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hate the way they show extended versions of the ads we already hate. Like that bloody Guinness ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't mind the adverts at cinemas providing we get a few trailers! Lucky to get 2 here in Sligo... we normally get 1 and it's the film out the following week! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

I love watching trailers for new movies comig out. I hate ads in the cinema(its only good when you can play the ad game at home with your mates!) But its getting ridiculous. They (as pointed out before) only show 2 trailers, one for Stealth at the last film i went to - so, technically, they only showed one! It isnt fair that we cant get ad's/trailers that are worthwhile.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They (as pointed out before) only show 2 trailers, one for Stealth at the last film i went to - so, technically, they only showed one!
    Are you saying that as the trailer for Stealth almost counts as having seen the entire film as it seems to give you the gist of pretty much every scene in the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats what I like about Storm Cinema in Limerick - no more than 4 ads, followed by at least 3 trailers. I still have some food left by the time the main movie starts! (Unlike the bloody Omniplex - I counted 18 ads a few weeks ago.... thats just ridiculous..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

/HOMER/ Start the movie, Start the movie /END HOMER/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

show more teaser trailers,
    and less "theatrical trailers",
    ie the ones where they give you a 4-5 minute summary of the entire file,
    goddamm, they tell you every last bit, and just when think its finished, they show you some more :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

It's not just the cinema either. A lot of Extra Visions' DVD's have ads at the start and the Menu option is disabled so you can't skip straight to the film. You can fast forward but after paying their extortionate prices the last thing you want is to have to skip through ads aswell. I think that if you have to pay for something like the cinema, DVD, Prem Plus (Bloody Ads aswell after paying even more for the service) then you shouldn't be subjected to ads.

Also, as someone said, if you don't want the ads, wait till the film starts but then you're either left with a crappy seat when seats are open or some scumbag sits in your seat and refuses to move and you end up fuming and not enjoying the film. You're in a no win situation, unless of course you're going to some poxy film in the middle of the week and there's only 3 other people there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

It would be understandable if the cinema was cheap and they needed extra revenue but didn't want to increase ticket prices. Check this site out:

http://www.didntialreadypayforthismovie.com/

I usually only go to cinemas where I can reserve a seat, that way I can arrive 20 mins late and miss the adds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I like the 3 ad. Reminds me of oxegen.

"If you leave me now, you take away the biggest part of me
    ooooooooooo nooo, baby please dont goooooooo"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Same here in Germany, they show about 20 mins of ads and trailers, then close the curtain for 5-10 mins (I think this is so that people will go out and buy the products that they have just seen), re-open them and show another 5 mins of ads. Bloody annoying, over 30 mins before the film starts. Great thing here is that you can reserve your seats on-line, but you have to arrive 30 mins before it starts to pick them up or they will be released... so thats 1 hour you are waiting around! Thankfully there is a bar next door to the cinema I go to :D
    Plus you can have a beer while watching the movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

Gegerty wrote:
    It would be understandable if the cinema was cheap and they needed extra revenue but didn't want to increase ticket prices. Check this site out:

http://www.didntialreadypayforthismovie.com/

I usually only go to cinemas where I can reserve a seat, that way I can arrive 20 mins late and miss the adds.

nice link dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

LFCFan wrote:
    I think that if you have to pay for something like the cinema, DVD, Prem Plus (Bloody Ads aswell after paying even more for the service) then you shouldn't be subjected to ads.

Concur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I was at 'Charlie and The Chocolate Factory' and I experienced the same experience as it were.
    One Vodafone ad and then two 02 ads and then car ads and the 3 network ad which I didn't really mind to much.
    Anyway altogether I can see how it pisses people off quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

What about booing? If a few people started to boo the ads it might catch on. It only takes a few.

"Booo, start the film", that would make me feel better about being forced to watch their crap after paying to see a movie, I'm quite childish like that. But I do feel quite strongly about how invasive advertising is becoming and would condone such verbal outbursts pre-movie to tarnish the advertisers image, or just to get people thinking about what they're being forced to watch Vs what they paid for.

Name and shame the cinemas with the longest ads, on here for instance, or start a site like the one mentioned earlier, get people to send in the times from around the country. Maybe bundle it with a comparison of prices of food and such.

Also I have no time for people who must have seen a particular ad tens of times, but for some unknown reason, laugh at the same ad in the cinema, idiots. You shouldn't be entertained by ads in the cinema, you should be annoyed at being forced to watch them.

Don't mean to sound like a nutter, but ads in the cinema or on DVDs really annoy the bejesus outta me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Crybabies.

Think of it this way: Those 20+ minutes of ads give the morons time to get all their talking and fidgeting out of their system. Can you imagine if they were dropped straight into the movie? Uproar!

Has anyone gone into Bray cineplex and seen the barbie Donts of watching a Film in the plex?.. should they not change it cuz its ****ing boring after like the billionth time?.. or maybe i just go to the cinema way to much

In Dunlaoughaire(sp) IMC its notorius for having like 5/10 ads ..next time im in there ill check for sure how many they have and ill let you;s know ..or someone else can do it :D

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Crybabies.

Think of it this way: Those 20+ minutes of ads give the morons time to get all their talking and fidgeting out of their system. Can you imagine if they were dropped straight into the movie? Uproar!

those morons shouldnt talk ANYWAY man its a movie you have to be silent during a movie if you dont then why bother watch a movie in the cinema?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

just start going 10 minutes late!

danniemcq wrote:
    just start going 10 minutes late!

like someone said previously(sp)

if u go 10 mins late you A dont get the best Seat ( the back ) B sit beside people you dont wanna sit beside or C sit at the front

basically going in late sucks

the only place i like sitting is the back u see everyone and u see the screen the ways its supposed to be seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

the only way around it is to only go to cinemas where you can prebook your seats. cons are ye need a credit card and have to pay a credit card fee, which is almost as bad as having to watch the ads.
    Or dont go to a film the 1st week its released, wait till the 2nd or 3rd week. Cons are ye cant be gaurenteed it wont still be popular and it will more than likely have been moved to a smaller screen.
    /shrugs

uhh... what would waiting do ..they still show the same amount of ads do they not?

uhh... what would waiting do ..they still show the same amount of ads do they not?
    No. In the UGC at least, they drop the amount of ads significantly after a few weeks. Still show trailers though, but I don't count them as ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Yeah went to see Skeleton Key in the UCI and there was only about 4 adds and about 5 trailers. Was'nt bad at all. To be honest they were more entertaining than the main feature itself.

the UGC is near the spire right? or is that the wrong cinema i thinking of?

Those feckin Guinness ads!
    Those feckin EXTENDED Guinness ads!

How many times did we watch that stupid ad where he's walking across the ice and then decides to go mad in a cave and think of a good pint!

Or that one now, the one with the most boring song ever, swims to the States and says..."Sorry"...that's a secret apology to the public, after making us watch it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I quite like this idea of booing at the screen.
    This should be a boards.ie event... like boards beers... I'm sure we could round up 50 boardsies to get the booing started.
    If you've only got a small group of people doing it, you'll probably just get some odd looks and be thrown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I reckon all cinemas should make it so that you can't prebook your seats. Then for twenty minutes before the movie, they show all the ads, then start the movie at the advertised time. This means that you have two choices: Get a good seat and sit through the ads, or miss the ads and take whatever seats are left.

You'll find that most people will sit through the ads to ensure they get a good seat. Cinemas aren't that lucrative a business. Someone posted a good explanation a year back about how cinemas make their money. Rest assured, the bulk of your ticket price (particularly if the movie has only recently been released) goes to Warner or Fox, or whoever. Cinemas make the bulk of their money through the food sales, hence why the advertising.

... still the booing sounds like fun ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

What adds insult to injury in IMC Athlone is the ads havnt changed for about a year except for the addition of the 3 ad.

The very worst one is the ad for Midlands 103 where all the gimps from the station are dressed up matrix style(at least thats what im assuming) and the deep voiced announcer shouts out their name one by one.

I get too much pleasure from going to the cinems to let the ads get to me too much......although i do hate having most of my popcorn ate by the time the film starts!

The cinema is overrated anyway, I genuinely prefer to watch a film in the comfort of my own home, where I can enjoy the film without the added distractions of people rattling bags, stupid heads blocking my field of view, the diarrhea smell of buttered popcorn, sitting beside some smelly stranger who insists on hogging the arm-rest and turning to look at me when I least expect it, having to que to get in, fumble around in the dark for a seat, que to get out, pay way over the odds for crap food and watered-down drinks... the adds are just another nail in the coffin.

• Advertisement

The cinema is overrated anyway, I genuinely prefer to watch a film in the comfort of my own home, where I can enjoy the film without the added distractions of people rattling bags, stupid heads blocking my field of view, the diarrhea smell of buttered popcorn, sitting beside some smelly stranger who insists on hogging the arm-rest and turning to look at me when I least expect it, having to que to get in, fumble around in the dark for a seat, que to get out, pay way over the odds for crap food and watered-down drinks... the adds are just another nail in the coffin.
    I prefer the comfort of my own home too, but I don't want to wait 4 or 5 months for a film to come out on dvd if I like the look of it. Plus, big screen and all.

What adds insult to injury in IMC Athlone is the ads havnt changed for about a year except for the addition of the 3 ad.

The very worst one is the ad for Midlands 103 where all the gimps from the station are dressed up matrix style(at least thats what im assuming) and the deep voiced announcer shouts out their name one by one.

I get too much pleasure from going to the cinems to let the ads get to me too much......although i do hate having most of my popcorn ate by the time the film starts!

got that link?

"I prefer the comfort of my own home too, but I don't want to wait 4 or 5 months for a film to come out on dvd if I like the look of it. Plus, big screen and all."

who says you have to wait at all ? ;)

If you want anything approaching 'acceptable' quality, then yes. You'd have to wait.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ObeyGiant wrote:
    If you want anything approaching 'acceptable' quality, then yes. You'd have to wait.

Agree, Im big into my home cinema system and the film needs to have 5.1 sound or 6.1 if available to really enjoy the film. Those crappy copies that can be gotten before the DVD is released just ruin the film and I never enjoy it.

As for the cinema I love going to it. You cant beat watching a movie on the big screen. I agree sometimes you can get an annoying person sitting beside you in at the cinema but its still worth seeing the movie on the big screen. As for the food being overpriced? Use your intelligence and buy food before you go in and bring it into the movie with you. Problem sorted

i feel the delight of actually sitting in the cinema for 2 hrs with ****ers u dont know is a huge turn off

so much so that i much prefere to watch dvds at home with mates or by myself
    and from what iv read some of you even agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Agree some movies are better of watched at home but however others are move enjoyable in the cinema. I mean if you watched dramas on the big screen would you enjoyment be lessened if it was on tv. However the action movies; star wars, lord of rings, Jurassic parks, etc and some horror movies are almost a must for the cinema.

got that link?

"I prefer the comfort of my own home too, but I don't want to wait 4 or 5 months for a film to come out on dvd if I like the look of it. Plus, big screen and all."

who says you have to wait at all ? ;)
    Yeah, I was gonna mention that, but piracy sucks balls. I have to have the proper quality. And if I reaaally can't wait, I'll order it from America when it comes out over there...like I'm doing with Sin City.
    And yeah, I'd agree that some films are definately better left on the big screen. Like War of the Worlds.

ill agree to that anything but action and horror should be left to home (imo)

Advertisement