Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance?

Options
  • 01-08-2005 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Im 17 and ive got a provisional licence and i want to get on my mams insurance as a named driver, the car is a focus estate 1.4, she has a no claims bonus aswell, ive also been driving a moped since last november if that makes any difference? Any idea how much it would cost for a year? or 6 months?
    Cheers
    Danny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Amsterdam

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

i'd say the moped driving will count for nothing, and you'll be looking at paying a 4 figure sum for insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Amsterdam wrote:
    anyone?

Hello Danny

You can go to a website called quinn-direct here and they can give you a quote online. To get a more accurate quote you should probably ring them. To answer your question here, however, you will probably end up paying alot for insurance on a 1.4l car. You are a young driver, you have a provisional licence, and the car you're driving has a big engine. These three facts can sum up to large premiums. You would be best ringing the insurance company and getting a quote. Good luck

Thank you! Is it possible to get insurance for 6 months??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

it's possible i think but not worth it

• Advertisement

i rang quinn direct there and they quoted me €2,576! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Amsterdam wrote:
    i rang quinn direct there and they quoted me €2,576! :eek:

get out the yellow pages, and ring every damn one of the robbers. then ring at least three or four brokers. you'll probably find you can do a bit better than this, but not all that much. some won't even quote you at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Under the Irish market circumstances, thats not bad for a 17yo with no experience who is presumably on a 1st provisional.
    Does that quote include your ma as named driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What pontovic says. It's possible to get insured for 6 months (or at least you can be added for the year, then just have yourself removed after 6 months). Chances are, your Mum is paying next to nothing on the focus. < €500 I'd say. Adding you could put at least an extra €1500 onto her policy.
    Your moped experience won't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

On a provisional on a 1.4 when youre under 20 even with your mothers NCB youre still talking upwards of 2000, from my experience getting quotes anyway. Though you can lob 20%+ off of this if you do tesco/hibernians ignition scheme or possibly axa's traksure scheme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement