Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter #6??

• 01-08-2005 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

so guys,
    what did y'all think? i just finished it there this evening cos it was too hard to try and read it in CTYI cos i always felt so antisocial!!
    i thought it was a good plot but went nowhere,
    cursed Snape!! i always hated him...
    *shakes fist and glowers at Snape*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

I thought it was quite poorly written but I'm glad that she took the hard line at the end. I still think the Snape thing needs to be explained more and now we can't fin out DD reason for trusting him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lizzie

i thought it was more like the first half of a book as opposed to a whole plot etc.
    it just didn't do anything for me; didn't love it, didn't hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

I'm still of the opinion that she should've stopped writing the books around the time of Prisoner of Azkaban, 'cause they're getting progressively worse as they go, and just seem like a mish-mash of whatever came into her head while she was writing.

(And this isn't from a skeptic, I'm a big fan of the series. Usually.)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

it was ok. not the best harry potter, but it did leave me dying to know what happens next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 synge

got it the night it came out in Galway (when I was still over the ocean and not in my country) and finished it in 4 days (would have been sooner but for the Aran Islands and me having to navigate around the west for my dad). It was sad, not really much about the school year, left me really wanting to read the next book. just wasn't as well written as some of the others.

• Advertisement

i wonder if she's gonna do more than 7 books cause of the twist at the end bout what harry's doing next (i won't say any more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

God, the romance thing was so frustrating, all of them,. Book would have been better if she'd left it all out

yeah. there's much less about magic.that why i prefer the earlier ones. its kinda going off course on the whole wizarding aspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Jade Chihuahua

In general Ilike the series, the fifth one was crap but she managed to redeem herself slightly with this one, but I wish she'd stop dancing around and just hurry up and introduce the Damn Pirates already!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Hunted it down in english, in barcelona, and finished it same day. Not that it was unputdownable, but it was that or face my family (ah, they're alright, really)....eh, not the best book ever, but sure not the worst...(damn you novelisation of the third pokemon movie!) (read because I am a cultural masochist) (I like brackets)

• Advertisement

I thought there was no explanation for how things happend. She just said "Hey this would be cool to have" and stuck it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

Well it was better than the 5th one, but only slightly. I think a lot more explanations are needed, as Outcast said. I thought the ending was very... attention-grabbing, but it left me with the impression that that was relly the only reason it was there. To grab our attention. Similar to the ending of Book 5, almost. But it did end with much potential for very intriguing events to happen, so lets hope she doesn't mess it up!
    No, I shouldn't say that. The first 4 books were great. Perhaps I'm just outgrowing them or something. I'll read them anyway, just to see what happens.

I think we're all getting too old. We were the original target market but she's dawdled so much over writing the last three that people are outgrowing it.

The problem is that she wrote the books for a target market, but because she's doing one a year covering a year she has to age the characters. But the target market is always the same age, and we know she's screwing it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So yeah ive never read a harry potter in my life. Seen snippets of the movie. Sue me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Spog

I personally don't mind the whole going-off-magic storyline, because in the end it's the same ol' good v evil storyline anyway... one almost expects voldemort at the very end to say (as Harry is about to deal the final blow) ... "I am your father". This book was a ton load better than the last one; while nothing on the greather scheme of things was happening up til the very end there was much more going on than all through the last one - the intrigue regarding snape and malfoy, the blossoming romances, the discovery of voldemort's past, what are horcruxes, and of course, who is the half-blood prince?

Any theories as to the next book's plot? and will there be more than seven now, given the turn of events?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I thought it was okay.. but like the fifth book, when I had finished I kinda went, "hold on, what have I just read?" but yeah, I really hope everything's explained in the last book

I really hopes she kills Harry. It dosen't make sense that he beats a wizard millions of times stronger than him then sails off into the sunset with Ginny. Obviously he's going to kill Voldemort with love but I think they should both die coz of their freaky connection thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 staaap

i've got it all worked out:
    -james and snape are brothers.
    -R.A.B. is Regalus Black.
    -Ginny will commit incest and run away with one of the highly annoying twins.
    -that wasn't Dumbledore.Dumbledore died 16 years ago.The man posing as Dumbledore was in fact James.he had been taking polyjuice potion.
    -Fawkes is Lily.

i actually quite enjoyed the book actually, a hell of a lot better than book2 or 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Adesina

staaap wrote:
    i actually quite enjoyed the book actually, a hell of a lot better than book2 or 5.

I concur, it was better than books 2 and 5 but only by a bit.

• Advertisement

That R.A.B. is Regalus thing actually makes sense. And yes I know he's dead but that needn't mean anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

sigh. and we fools who are on pg 200 and stumble onto this thread...
    where's the spolier thingies???
    (as if i wouldnt have read the anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

did anyone else completely forget about the fifth book while reading the new one and start wondering about a hell of a lot of stuff halfway through? I bet the bookshop in Santry were delighted when, the day the new Harry Potter comes out, CTYI comes for a visit. Ching, ching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

RAB is Regulus Black, The barman at the Hogs Head is Dumbledores brother Aberforth and finally... Snape is really a goodie... I found this so obviously poking through all the way through the book... At the end the only time Dumbledore pleads is when Snape walks through the door... DD was pleading with Snape to finish him and stick to the plan... We heard that Hagrid had overheard a conversation between DD and Snape where DD was making Snape promise to go through with DDs orders no matter what... There was also the part where DD froze Harry on purpose more to stop him from intervening then to keep him from harm.

There is so much evidence to say that Snape is really on DD side I cant believe no one else sees it...

Look away if you haven't finished the book.

Then why did Snape kill DD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

Yeah, Snape is on DD's side, because DD knew he'd die anyway because he took the potion. This is proved when Harry reads the parchment from the locket. It says that RAB would be dead by the time Voldemort read it, showing that he also knew the potion would kill him.
    I think this might just have been my favourite book. There was just soo uch scandel and all the revelations! Twas' like reading an copy of Heat except with people you actually like. Although Hermione is really getting on my nerves. "Blah blah don't do this, blah blah not a good idea, blah blah nobody loves me" ALL THE TIME!
    I didn't think HP5 was THAT bad. Loved how big it was, it just kept going and going, and I can never have enough Harry Potter.
    Will always have a soft spot in my heart for HP1, and of course, everyone (else's) favourite, HP3.
    Now only another two years till HP7!!! *starts queueing*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

Yes Snape is so obviously not evil. Dumbledore definitely knew the potion would kill him, and he was also aware of the unbreakable vow between snape and narcissa malfoy. He was pleading with snape to follow through with the plan, which would be for snape to kill dumbledore, though his demise was imminent anyway (the potion), if snape had not killed dumbledore, snape would have died, because it was clear that draco was not going to kill dumbledore (the unbreakable vow).

In the seventh book, i think aberforthe (dumbledores brother) will become really important (why else would he be mentioned at all). Also, now that snape has killed dumbledore, hell be voldomorts right hand man, even though hes still good. Ron and Hermione are going to make tons of babies, and harrys dropping out of school.

Did anyone else notice at the end of the book that it opened up for more and more books, because harrys gotta find all the horcruxes and kill voldomort?

Ron and Hermoine. Those would be ugly children. And Ron seems a bit on the flamboyantly homosexual side. Ron and Harry, though. No ugly children to worry about there.

Not going to happen though, since Harry's riding his sister

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TryMe

True, although tha could have made the story a lot more intersteing. The Catholic Church is already calling it evil, you might as well keep going. I didnt think it was as good as the earlier ones, the thing with Ron and hermione has been going on since Day 1, could she please hurry up and kill them off or something???

Advertisement