Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test requirement's

Options
  • 01-08-2005 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi all, I was just applying for my test and noticed the following. What do they think people keep in cars, an armory? ;)

test page/final checks

2) Loads should be properly secured; loose objects inside the vehicle such as screwdrivers, knives, gas bottles etc. must be secured prior to commencing the drive. You may not carry passengers or pets while undergoing the test,

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

paddy wrote:
    You may not carry passengers or pets while undergoing the test,
    If you are blind, can you bring your guide dog? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

paddy wrote:
    2) Loads should be properly secured; loose objects inside the vehicle such as screwdrivers, knives, gas bottles etc. must be secured prior to commencing the drive.
    Many people use their cars for their businesses and may well have any or all of the above loose in the boot. Remember that you have to do an emergency stop on your test :)

Did you see that program 5th Gear did a while back where they did some simulated crashes at only 30mph with stuff like that unsecured in the boot of an average family car? Even a road atlas on the rear parcel shelf turns into a lethal weapon at those speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Alun wrote:
    ...Remember that you have to do an emergency stop on your test :)

Don't think you're right there, at least that wasn't a requirement when I did my test last Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jm2k wrote:
    Alun wrote:
    ...Remember that you have to do an emergency stop on your test :)

Don't think you're right there, at least that wasn't a requirement when I did my test last Nov.
    OK, maybe it's just a UK thing. I assumed they did the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

You assumed that our driving test has a useful element and in some way resembles a 'proper' test. Do you know who's in power in this country? =P

Although in fairness it's pretty poor some of the stuff that they have to specifiy test applicants do. I can imagine people turning up to do the test with the kids in the back, or thier dogs.

Or a builder or something with his van overloaded with paving slabs hehe, e-stop, wieght transfers to front tires which immeditally explode under the presure (and its not even a loose load) sending the vechile skidding out of control across two lanes of traffic into the local post office.

Those poor testers have to put up with all sorts of crap and we should do all we can to make thier lives a little easier. Anyway, you want to present a professional image so that they'll know your serious about your motoring from the start and having a loose (lethal) load doesn't help. Nor does half a brekkie roll and six copies of the sun (all six months old, including the brekkie roll) on the dash present such an image.

And yes the stuff might be on the floor, and not going anywhere, but you could get run into by somebody else, there's loads of muppets around practising for thier test you know. =P

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Before my test the instructor told me to make sure I got rid of all and any clutter in the car - the idea being to make the tester feel "safe" and comfortable - I suppose jameson bottles rolling under his feet wouldn't make any tester relax...!

Advertisement