Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OLDSKOOL Dance events in Dublin.

• 02-08-2005 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I used to go raving in Dublin around the mid 90's up until a few years ago when there was a good Dance scene in Dublin but i've gotten out of touch over the past few years.

Is there still a vibrant underground dance music scene in Dublin or is it all commercial crap nowadays. Basically myself and a few mates would love to go to a club that plays some good oldskool 90's house/trance etc and that has a good up for it crowd but i don't know of any clubs that have an Oldskool night.

If anyone knows of such a night or event on the horizon please let me know or even if you can just recommend a good dance venue where i can partake of a nights dancing amongst sweaty ravers. I miss the old days, ya know. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

el mondo used to do old skool nites usually on bank holidays. think its changed its name now to safari so i reckon thats the end of that. there really isnt any good venues in dublin that even play good dance music anymore tbh

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I cant remember the last time I was in a club in Dublin, think it was some place near Powerscourt? - I know Johnny Moy was playing that night, this is about 4 / 5 years ago! From what I have heard I wouldnt be bothered going near any of the clubs but somewhere doing a decent oldskool night could tempt me back out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Gordo84

Yeah, I'm thinking that if there was a regular Oldskool night on somewhere, i'd have heard about it by now. I know from talking to people that if there was a good Oldskool night put together, many would go along to check it out. Promoters, take note. Maybe somewhere like the SFX or the Tivoli theatre. The last time i went to an Oldskool night was in the Tivoli a couple of years back and it was pretty decent and was packed full of nostalgic ravers.

I'm just fed up with whats going on in Dublin at the moment. I don't like Poser nightclubs and all that RnB jive. Fed up going to see bands playing. A bit of variety is the spice of life. A good all-night rave with a decent lightshow would get the pulse racing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mmc_electerick

Back2basics (i think) in the redbox, have an old skool night from time to time, last time i was there, was in March.. they were playing really old school stuff, as far back as 1990... was good night, put a smile on my face...
    keep an eye out on www.pod.ie for listings and events coming up... but i think the redbox is closed for renovation at the moment...
    Was also at an old skool night at electric city in traffic one night (thursday night techno)... think that was a once off though, not sure... so there are a few old skool nights around :)

I've been doing some research and i've found that the Legal Eagle is having a 1 year old birthday bash, kinda oldskool night this saturday.

Mark Kavanagh + DJ Orbit + John Kerrigan
    ampeater - 1st Birthday Party (Classics Night)

Date: 06 August 2005
    Time: 9.30pm

For more info check out http://www.thebar.ie/thebar/thebar.htm

Has anybody been to one of these nights in the legal eagle. Is it a pub with a dancefloor. I've never been and i'd no idea that they had Oldskool DJ's (Mark Kavanagh/Orbit) playing sets on the weekend. I remember Orbit playing in the Harp on Friday nights during the Mick Walsh/DJ Pressure days.

Also, there is an event coming up in (Liquad) in Bray. Again, another Oldskool DJ (Mick Morrisson) will be on the wheels of steel with many other DJ's. Don't no much about this gig though or whether there are buses to and from the event. There doesn't seem to be much else happening at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Gordo84 wrote:
    I used to go raving in Dublin around the mid 90's up until a few years ago when there was a good Dance scene in Dublin but i've gotten out of touch over the past few years.

Is there still a vibrant underground dance music scene in Dublin or is it all commercial crap nowadays. Basically myself and a few mates would love to go to a club that plays some good oldskool 90's house/trance etc and that has a good up for it crowd but i don't know of any clubs that have an Oldskool night.

If anyone knows of such a night or event on the horizon please let me know or even if you can just recommend a good dance venue where i can partake of a nights dancing amongst sweaty ravers. I miss the old days, ya know. :)

Im afraid good old skool events are few and far between these days,im from the early/mid 1990`s myself,and only go out clubbing on occasions,there used to be some good old skool events on in the Red Box a while back with old sides dj's although not sure if they are on anymore.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Cant understand why there is no somewhat regular oldskool night, is it that there is no interest? Are all the younger clubbers of today not into our music from the early - mid nineties? I say we all have a big f*ck off rave down the country somewhere :D

To be honest, i feel sorry for the youth of today. Dublin city is a poor place for a good night out in my opinion. Others may beg to differ but nobody can tell me that the clubbing scene in Dublin nowadays is equal to or better than 10 or even 5 years ago. Remember the Olympic, Sides, Shaft, G1, Temple of Sound, Tivoli, SFX, Waterfront, Harp, Asylum, Tin pan alley, Ormond Multi media centre, mansion house, system, Temple theatre and thats just off the top of my head. OK, admittedly these were all dance venues and some of them could be dodgy places but there was always a fairly decent choice of venue and there is still a lot of people who prefer quality underground dance music and are crying out for a decent regular club night with a good atmosphere.

Whats out there today. Poser bars, indie clubs, RnB disco bars. Bleedin desperate situation. Maybe i'm just getting too old and don't fit in with the young hip crowd of today :D but then again i'm only 28. I'm just not bothered with whats happening in Dublin at the moment. Long live the golden era of dance music. 1990 - 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gordo get your head out of your ass and actually look for dance nights. If all you think there out there is rnb venues and indie music your badly mistaken.

http://5.forumer.com/uploads/ministry932/post-4-1122256962.jpg

there ya go. Might enjoy that.

Fair play Chucky ;) . I've always liked Mick Walsh. He knows his tunes. This is the kind of night i'd have known about a few years back but i'm out of touch with the dance scene. I think i'll check it out. Looks promising. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

there arent many oldskool nights. But there are plenty of dance nights out there. In nearly every genere. Techno and house is the most popular is dublin. Plenty of nights for that.

http://www.ministryfm.com/

find more info on the elevate gig there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

i had on old skool night last fri week in galway .waste of time none
    turned up. just about covered my expenses. i had it in a place were i had to bring my own stuff, pure hassle i tell thee. doubt if ill do another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

the last proper rave i was at was down in arklow in "glenart castle". now it wasnt old skool but it had three different rooms and techno, house and hard trance being played in each room. was class. session ended up on silver strand beach at bout 6 in d morning where the organisers had brought a set of decks to the beach and kept d session going. think it was lads from bray/greystones that organised it.

anyone else go to any of the raves in glenart castle???

afaik there is more planned.

Advertisement