Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk in Mullingar...

Options
  • 02-08-2005 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

It's been a long time since I've headed into Mullingar for a drink or seven...
    But after all the messin with college I think I've had enough of different parts of the country so I'm back to Mullingar -This is a very depressing time of my life, time to hit the drink.

Is Mullingar still a bad spot for a night out?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 128 ✭✭MuchSavage

yes yes yes and yes........

i get sick of it very quickly, suppose depends who you out with, but mojo's you'll get sick off, music in fence ain't great sometimes, temple bar.... was good when you were young, but too small......greville has good music and is good craic but nobody will go there!!

the druids is always good for a bit of craic, cross bar if your a GAA person,

Mullingar you will easily feel old in after goin to college..... mojo's is like a creche!! same stuff over n over every week.......

Mullingar ain't as good as the craic you would have when u in college......

• Registered Users Posts: 32 B@ndit

So this is a depressing time of your life?
    well believe it or not, you may NOT have learned this in college but drink is a depressive so best of luck with your drinking...

Mullingar is a great place, well except for weekends when you see hundreds of tanked up people making a nuicence of themselves after a night on the batter...

If you are depressed then see a doctor, else it looks like another student with no money moaning they cant afford to get pissed and may even have to look for a job.

excuse me if i sound harsh but i lived beside students in a housing estate in maynooth for 4 years and have no respect for them at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

Yeah, it sounds like Mullingar is pretty bad alright... You seem a bit agitated B@ndit. But I know you're right too, all the tanked up wasters make themselves known at the weekend. And yes, drink does cause depression, that's why it's best to refrain from such a level of drinking...

I have to say I think Danny Byrnes is a great pub, fantastic atmosphere in there these days. Apart from that I'm not sure, haven't seen any similar establishments in quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Pyschopath666

Cosgroves is good if you enjoy pool and rock music as that is wat is usually played (someone correct me if I'm wrong please)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

ever since georges changed hands i have been drinking in CONS in the middle of the town, friendly staff and it doesnt get too packed (no smokin area though so you have to go outside)and i transplanted from dublin about four years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

freewing wrote:
    ever since georges changed hands i have been drinking in CONS in the middle of the town, friendly staff and it doesnt get too packed (no smokin area though so you have to go outside)and i transplanted from dublin about four years ago.

georges??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

GEORGE EVANS pub now called THE OFFICE but i dont really like the sports vibe in it now so i spends me money somewhere else also heard the temple bar has a bit of an eighties thing going on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sunflower5

As some who lives near the town - i can say it is a really bad place to go out- very clique crowd - theres such an agressive atomosphere in the pubs and clubs - thats not to say that I've seen that many fights there - but theres just something about it that I'm not gone on at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oldman29

Mullingar is a ****hole...FACT... get out of there ya poor fooker..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

As a Cork person who has to visit Mullingar every second weekend, i think ythe Greville is OK. I go to Caffreys myself , its nice and quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hope I'm not putting my foot in it here, but I'm one of 2 resident Jocks for Le Louvre (Greville), and its usually a good night. Recently, new lights were installed, and a good mix of young and mature (not old) folk go there. You have the bar to hang around in IF you don't want to go into the club - 1 admission price for all (free before 11pm I think too).

If you're into modern music e.g. R'n'B, dance (but GOOD dance that you can DANCE to, not just hop around like an idiot!), and old skool stuff, then thats what we play in the Greville on a Saturday night.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ok, so I'm unexpectedly stuck in Mullingar for the night......if you had one night to enjoy the town (nothing too young...I'm mid 30's), where would ya go ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Beren

I think Mullingar is alright if you havent been there in a while. I head over there a few times a year and its always good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Andip wrote:
    Ok, so I'm unexpectedly stuck in Mullingar for the night......if you had one night to enjoy the town (nothing too young...I'm mid 30's), where would ya go ???

Hughes' is quite good, then maby move on to Casey's and over to the Druids chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Meadow

MuchSavage wrote:
    yes yes yes and yes........

i get sick of it very quickly, suppose depends who you out with, but mojo's you'll get sick off, music in fence ain't great sometimes, temple bar.... was good when you were young, but too small......greville has good music and is good craic but nobody will go there!!

the druids is always good for a bit of craic, cross bar if your a GAA person,

Mullingar you will easily feel old in after goin to college..... mojo's is like a creche!! same stuff over n over every week.......

Mullingar ain't as good as the craic you would have when u in college......
    what is the Cross Bar? What is the clientiele like? I havent been in Mullingar in a while so I dont know the new haunts.. Where's the best place to hang out? (Im 23)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Meadow

Meadow wrote:
    what is the Cross Bar? What is the clientiele like? I havent been in Mullingar in a while so I dont know the new haunts.. Where's the best place to hang out? (Im 23)

Hey, I was just wondering about the Cross Bar in Mullingar.. I havent been in Mullingar in ages and want to know the low down in this place? What is the average age, whos running it, whats the atmostphere like etc?

Thanks!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nickevan

Crossbar is mainly for GAH (Gaa) heads as far as I know , hence the name "the crossbar" - but never been in it - could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wooly Wooly

Crossbar in Mullingar is run by a couple of the Westmeath Football Players. Known as a GAA Place but ventured by all. Mixed age group go there. Have extended the Bar Area. Music on a Saturday Nite. Not a bad place to go know of worst places.....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

Seanie

I have heard what you play in the Greville. It is a disgrace. A DJ is supposed to be influentential, educational & original. Not someone who can't mix the formulaic crap taken straight from the charts & compilation cds. Learn to scratch my friend...

Seanie

I have heard what you play in the Greville. It is a disgrace. A DJ is supposed to be influentential, educational & original. Not someone who can't mix the formulaic crap taken straight from the charts & compilation cds. Learn to scratch my friend...

When did you hear 'me' last?

• Advertisement

Seanie M wrote:
    When did you hear 'me' last?

Found out from someone else it was the night of Saturday 19th. I was on holiday that weekend, and the guy who usually covers me decided to try his hand at using his new laptop for the gig that night. Needless to say his eagerness preceeded much experience before that night, so he got many a thing wrong! I won't name and shame him, but he knows better now! :D

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redbullandvodka

The Crossbar mullingar co.westmeath is one of best pubs in the town,it takes in a mixed crowd of people from young to old day and night. the transformation of the pub from its original state to its present day is a credit to its owners westmeath footballer Brian morley and footballer and pop idol wanna be dermot mullen. the outdoor smoking room is one of best around and boasts an outdoor bar with plenty of heating for those cold nights, its a trouble free great atmosphere pub and cleanliness is second to none.Staff are also excellent and plenty to keep the ball rolling
    Entertainment in the pub is always great at night with DJ Dermot mullen and jukebox harry i recommend this pub to any one with a bit of humour and not the ones that carry the sour puss on there faces 24/7 and could definitly name a few of those in mullingar.
    FOOTBALL IN WESTMEATH MAY NOT BE GREAT BUT THIS PUB MAKES UP FOR IT ALL. pic of dermot:cool: pic of brian:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 riverdancer

One of the best actually is the best pub in mullingar to go to for live entertainment and craic great music live music on monday's wednesdays thursdays and sunday nites.

Mixed ages its all live at the hive here. Resident D.J. Dermot can sure mix the tracks to get u into the party mood. Cocktails and wicked shots its the place to go . Riverdance live at the weekends either behind the bar or on the counter top. Huge smoking area with bottle bar so whether your inside or out u are assured of a great nite. See ya there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redbullandvodka

ur a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 riverdancer

no you have the shakes and the moves no one can compete with u

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Excellent addition to Mullingar, Dermot and Brian have put alot of work into the place and it a great spot for the craic. And I've as much interest in the Gaa as I do in stamp collecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

pooooo, hughes is gone. i will miss it so much, missed the lock in on tuesday too. im raging. caffreys is the spot in town in the mullingar at the mo. its got it all, pool, snooker, multiple sports on multiple tellys, loads of seating, outdoor smoking that might as well be indor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Racheal Green

So occidental, you dont like the night life in mullingar, cant blame ya, from out side mullingar, myself, in galway studing at the moment thank god, galways like heaven when youve grown up with a nightlife like mullingar..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

So occidental, you dont like the night life in mullingar,

I don't??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 monkey31

Mullingar is a great town to live in and go out in..i;m there 5 years and i can't wait for the weekends to come so as to hit the town. anyone who says mullingar is boring blaa blaa, has a clicky crowd etc..blaa blaa thats a load of rubbish. ye obviously don't know how to go out and enjoy yourselves and don't have friends. if ye don't like it, then please stay away. mullingar has a huge selection of pubs with something to suit everyone. i stand firm on this. students, stay in college if thats the sort of immature lifestyle you prefer rather than maturity and becoming an adult. mullingar is obviously much too grown up for some of ye...

Advertisement