Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] N2 in Monaghan to get 'two-plus-one' bypass

• 02-08-2005 5:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/6055858?view=Eircomnet
    N2 in Monaghan to get ' two-plus-one' bypass
    Monday, 1st August, 2005

A 10km "death stretch" of the N2 between Castleblayney and Monaghan - it has claimed several lives in recent years - is to be replaced by a bypass that will include a "two-plus-one" lane system, its first use in Ireland.

Details of the "two-plus-one" system, which is already a success in Scandinavia, have been revealed by the National Roads Authority (NRA). The system provides for an extra overtaking lane.

The authority has also confirmed that the system will be introduced on some other road projects.

Three roundabouts are envisaged on the new Monaghan stretch, which is costing some €120 million.

"This bypass will eliminate the series of dangerous bends on the N2, and will also ensure a reduction in travel time of three-quarters of a hour between Monaghan town and Dublin," according to a spokesman for Monaghan County Council yesterday.

Castleblayney town councillor Brendan Hughes said yesterday: "We are anxious to see this project completed as speedily as possible because of traffic delays at present of more than three-quarters of an hour at peak periods in the area."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

That was once regardeed as one of the best stretches of road in the state, if I remember correctly it has a four mile straight; and many of the fatalities would be dervied from reckless driving, whatever about the merits of the road scheme, there should be a permanent speed camera on this stretch to fine anyone driving over 70mph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭gjim

Now there's a NRA project that I can support. Reasonably priced (presumably) while delivering huge benefits to the users. Why aren't they concentrating more on removing pinch points like this in the system instead of building a massive funnel (the M3) into an already full bottle (the M50) through a sensitive heritage area using a financing model (PPP) which will ultimately cost the exchequer many multiples of the capital cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

€12m/km for a road with roundabouts and only one carriageway? Not cheap.

This has details of various schemes, but would appear not to match the details in the article.

http://www.monaghan.ie/roads/bypass.asp

Also http://www.monaghan.ie/roads/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

There does seem to be a bit of the Ennis bypass about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i was under the impression that they were going to upgrade the N2 to motorway standard, or is that only as far as ashbourne??

".......... one of the best stretches of road in the state......" and "death stretch". Oh dear, we were in a bad state. This is a great scheme IMO. 2+1 is excellent on the continent and 50% of road deaths are head on collisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

A 10km "death stretch" of the N2 between Castleblayney and Monaghan - it has claimed several lives in recent years - is to be replaced by a bypass that will include a "two-plus-one" lane system, its first use in Ireland.
    there is already a 2+1 road in ireland, on the Cork - Mallow road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

dmeehan wrote:
    there is already a 2+1 road in ireland, on the Cork - Mallow road
    Does it have the whole fence down the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

murphaph wrote:
    Does it have the whole fence down the middle?
    Yep, I've been on it once. If I recall correctly - red & white plastic poles about 1m high, with wires in between. A bit freaky to drive for the first time but seems safe enough once you get used to it. The hard shoulders seemed very narrow to me though, not sure how you'd overtake a tractor if you were on the single carriageway side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i dont think your supposed to be able to pass out on the single carriageway side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

i dont think your supposed to be able to pass out on the single carriageway side

Yeah I know, I was thinking of something slow-moving like a tractor - they are supposed to be on the hard shoulder but the shoulder on this stretch is very narrow. I guess you could wait a couple of km till you reached the dual side....anyway this is getting way OT...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

While I 100% supported it, this is old news.

Advertisement