Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is vegetable shortening?

Options
  • 02-08-2005 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Mrs Horseflesh tells me it's appeared in a few recipes, but neither of us know what in the name of Jaysus it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a solid fat made from vegetable oils used for making pastry. It's white and pretty flavourless, looks a bit like lard. Trex and Cookeen are common makes in the UK (where I'm from), so I assume it's available here too, since I've never looked on the supermarket shelves here for the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yep, it is hydrogentated vegetable oil. You can get dirt cheap own brand versions in supermarkets. Frytex is a named (dear) brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Is that a pc way of saying trans fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wow, I haven't heard the word shortening in years. What you're looking for is essentially a vegetable version of lard. Frytex or the like will meet your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is Cookeen the stuff? me Ma uses this for pastry stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is Cookeen the stuff? me Ma uses this for pastry stuff

That's the name I was racking my brain to think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    Wow, I haven't heard the word shortening in years.
    Same here, not since ohhhh 2005... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

Ya know what lads, yiz are a wonder! I had them all transfixed down me local EuroSpar wondering what vegetable shortening is. I opted for Cookeen in the end, over Frytex, since it's suitable for vegetarians whereas Frytex has also animal fats in it.

I'm still wary of this "trans fat" business and wonder if I should use the recipe for Buttercream icing that doesn't call for vegetable shortening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Ya know what lads, yiz are a wonder! I had them all transfixed down me local EuroSpar wondering what vegetable shortening is. I opted for Cookeen in the end, over Frytex, since it's suitable for vegetarians whereas Frytex has also animal fats in it.

I'm still wary of this "trans fat" business and wonder if I should use the recipe for Buttercream icing that doesn't call for vegetable shortening

According to wikipedia, there are no trans fats in cookeen, as the manufacturers changed this in response to consumer demands a few years ago.

The reason for mot using veg shortening, which is just another name for solid veg oil, for buttercream icing is that is is likely to taste vile and feel very greasy in the mouth.

Butter is the best thing to use for buttercream icing and or
    alternatively, margerine will not taste as nice, but is an acceptable alternative.

Advertisement