Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no plural euro?

• 02-08-2005 10:04am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why is "euro" not pluralised in English? Who decided this exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Blame the French!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

irish people never have an 's' for their monetary plural,

ie,
    20 pound / punt / quid etc.

southsiders may disagree ;)
    i honestly dont think ive ever said 20pounds
    much like a 30mile an hour zone , no s there either

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Alun wrote:

Cheers :)

It struck me as a bit odd that a banking institution could make rules governing language, but it goes a bit deeper than that. Glad to see I'm not really wrong to say "euros" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Michael Everson's page on The euro and standardization has quite a bit on this (unsurprisingly given his campaign to have the official English language plural changed to "Euros".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dublinsausage

Chalk wrote:

ie,

What a dork.

I'm Irish, are you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Basically, the Department for Finance messed up the changeover - they misinterpreted the legislation. All other English speaking countries and the European Commission translations bureau itself use "euros" as the plural.

What's to misinterpret though? A financial institution has as much jurisdiction on linguistic rules as the mobil library in Buncrana has on fixing international interest rates.
    People would really follow any oul ****e you tell them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I agree, and next week I'll be starting a campaign to have the word "sheeps" accepted as the plural for sheep. Who's with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

In Irish, and Scots Gaelic, the plural form of euro, eurochaí, is often used, though it is not entirely correct.

• Advertisement

foxybrowne wrote:
    In Irish, and Scots Gaelic, the plural form of euro, eurochaí, is often used, though it is not entirely correct.

Sounds a bit Tolkeinish (Tolkeinesque?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Now I may be waaaayyy off but I remember reading when the euro was first introduced that 'euros' was not used due to it meaning 'urine' in Greek. This may be/may have been complete crap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Why is "euro" not pluralised in English? Who decided this exactly?
    Because the addition of an 's' at the end of a word is an English language construct, although used a lot in French too.

In Germany, they mainly use 'en' to denote plural, and of course every other language in the Eurozone will have a different syntax.

As the currency was meant to traverse borders, it had to be language neutral, although the exception is the Greek 'EYP *alpha sign*' printed under the word 'Euro' on every note.

Hense, no 'S'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Chalk wrote:

ie,

Chalk, what planet are you on matey? are you seriously telling me that you would say twenty pound? or one hundred pound? you cannot be serious! Its always been pounds or pence since the beginning of time, but for some strange reason Brussels has decided that the plural of EURO really is EURO, the same goes for CENT, never an S to be seen ..................

The demise of the letter S is possibly due to the consumption of too many sprouts in Brussels? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

ArthurF wrote:
    Chalk, what planet are you on matey? are you seriously telling me that you would say twenty pound? or one hundred pound? you cannot be serious! Its always been pounds or pence since the beginning of time, but for some strange reason Brussels has decided that the plural of EURO really is EURO, the same goes for CENT, never an S to be seen ..................

The demise of the letter S is possibly due to the consumption of too many sprouts in Brussels? ;)

Well, many people in Cork used to say 20 pound anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ah we're not in cork anymore boi.

yip it's pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

simu wrote:
    Well, many people in Cork used to say 20 pound anyway.
    Or millin for million.

Because the addition of an 's' at the end of a word is an English language construct, although used a lot in French too.

In Germany, they mainly use 'en' to denote plural, and of course every other language in the Eurozone will have a different syntax.

As the currency was meant to traverse borders, it had to be language neutral, although the exception is the Greek 'EYP *alpha sign*' printed under the word 'Euro' on every note.

Hense, no 'S'.

But the major problems with that are
    a) it's nobodies business but the speakers of the language how they should speak it
    b) every other country, quite rightly, pluralises the word 'euro' the same way they do every other currency.
    c) there is no conceivable sense in requesting that speakers across Europe pluralise a word the same way, as they'll obviously all pronounce it differently, and use it in sentences spoken in a different language, hece nullifying any infinitesimal pretence at cross-border economo-linguisitc harmony.
    d) 'euro' is not a trademark

Advertisement