Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt issue

Options
  • 02-08-2005 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Have a query regarding whether to change the original timing belt on my 98 Starlet. Theres only 39K miles up on it but some places ahave said that it should be changed due to the age. i go to book it in today and yer man says its grand up to 60K miles! He also said its guaranteed up to that mileage.

Forgot to ask him who or what provides this gurantee. Does anyone know? Anyone have an idea over what the right thing to do is: change it or leave ti alone till 55K miles?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nobody will guarantee a bit of rubber placed on your engine seven years ago!
    Its up to you whether you change it. It may never ever go or it could go after 20 miles. However, as it gets older and/or more used it is more likely likely to snap resulting in your engine becoming a big heavy paperweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Hey i have to agree with kbannon on this one.

I think the person meant that it was still covered by the warranty but i seriously doubt that it is.

Get it changed or otherwise if it snaps the engine will be unless and cost too much to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Some petrol engines are what's called 'non-interference'. That means the piston stroke never impinges on any of the valve's strokes. If a belsnaps on one of these engines then no lasting damage will occor as the pistons can't strike the valves and a simple vehicle recovery (cheap if someone tows you) and timing belt replacement will be required. You could check the engine type and find out. I know if I owned a non-interference (never did cos I always drive diesel) car then I'd take a chance and replace the belt at the recommended interval. If the engine is interference type then the belt should be replaced if in any doubt-No manufacturer warranty on the belt will cover you unless the vehicle has been religiously serviced b a main dealer because they will claim that they couldn't inspect the belt periodically (as if they do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Its a piece of rubber, the guarantee is fot 50k miles but thats over the normal course of milage per year. As you car gets on heat and cold from seasons breaks down parts as well as driving. Look at your tyres. If you put new tyres on and didn't drive the car at all after 5 years you'd still have to replace them as they would be cracking on the side due to drying out and age. The same goes for the timing belt. May not have reached its expiry milage wise but age wise it could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its a simple job to change it and it shouldn't cost much to do - best to get it done anyway to be on the safe side. Ask the guy who fits it for a receipt with details of the change and ask how long he will guarantee the job.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I also wouldn't ask the mechanic to do it if he thinks a 7 year old belt would be covered by a warranty (unless of course your car was recently purchased and came with an engine warranty that you didn't tell us about).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

iregk wrote:
    Look at your tyres. If you put new tyres on and didn't drive the car at all after 5 years you'd still have to replace them as they would be cracking on the side due to drying out and age
    Actually the big killer of rubber components (tyres, door and window seals etc) is UV light from the sun. Look at brand new rubber tyres that have been stored inside and out of direct sunlight for a number of years and they'll be fne or even look at some rubber components inside the car where the glass filters out a lot of the UV light. The UV light breaks down the ploymer bonds in the rubber compound and that's why it cracks. The timing belt will not be subjected to any UV light.

The OP sounds non-mechanical (no-offence OP!) so for peace of mind I would advise changing the belt. Ring around for quotes-mechanics will vary and it's an easy job on that car.

Advertisement