Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange PCI "Communications" Slot...

Options
  • 02-08-2005 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum (might belong in a more hardware-specific one!).

Has anyone any idea what those orange "communcations" PCI slots are for? All I can find out online is that they're designed especially for Wifi cards, bluetooth cards, and the like.

But what I'd like to know is IN WHAT WAY they're different? I, for example, have just moved my Wifi card from a regular PCI slot to the communications slot but haven't really noticed any difference (except that XP decided to forget my network settings :)).

My motherboard's an MSI K8N Neo v.1.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

deathfunk wrote:
    Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum (might belong in a more hardware-specific one!).

Has anyone any idea what those orange "communcations" PCI slots are for? All I can find out online is that they're designed especially for Wifi cards, bluetooth cards, and the like.

But what I'd like to know is IN WHAT WAY they're different? I, for example, have just moved my Wifi card from a regular PCI slot to the communications slot but haven't really noticed any difference (except that XP decided to forget my network settings :)).

My motherboard's an MSI K8N Neo v.1.

Thanks!

are you sure its not a AMR/CNR slot for a modem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Well, I'm not sure what "AMR/CNR" means, but the motherboard manual says it's a "Communications PCI slot for Wireless cards, etc.".

Here be a photo. It's up at the top left there.

Advertisement