Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA (SA) Playing Style?

Options
  • 02-08-2005 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Just started San Andreas,

Just wondering what peoples opinion on what way should the game be played for max enjoyment...

1) Only save when you're finished playing...even if you die or get attrested...

2) Save every time you complete a mission....so you'll always have your weapons and keep your money. (My way at the moment!)

If anyone else has any ideas WITHOUT gving any spoilers, that would be great!

Cheers,
    LK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I always save after each mission (unless the mission was particularly easy). Especially around the start of the game, you have bugger all money for ages so it would be a real pain in the ass to lose all your weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

My way is just keep doing missions totally unprepared i.e. Don't bother collecting weapons or armour etc... Quite a lot of missions can be done without weapons anyway, and a load more take your weapons away from you anyway before you start. If you fail a mission because you didn't have enough ammo/guns, then you can prepare before repeating it.

IMO constantly saving is a pain in the arse but thats just my opinion - whatever works for you.

Usually what I do with games like these (I've done the same with GTAIII and Vice City) is complete it 'my own way'. That is, go through the game without using any sort of help and complete all story missions, and any side missions I happen upon. Then, when I've done that, I get a 100% completion FAQ, and complete it that way. 100% bonuses in Vice City were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Is this on PS2 or PC, or does it matter?

On the PC, I save after going to the gym or whatever, or if I know Ive done something that took a while. Usually after every mission or when Ive loads of weapons and money collected from dead rivals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

I'm on the xbox, but It shouldn't matter.

The reason I'm asking, is that I get the impression that the designers of the game wanted people have the dying/arrested 'second chances' factored into the game experience. If you save often, you won't get that (or very rarely!)

LK

LeperKing wrote:
    I'm on the xbox, but It shouldn't matter.

The reason I'm asking, is that I get the impression that the designers of the game wanted people have the dying/arrested 'second chances' factored into the game experience. If you save often, you won't get that (or very rarely!)

LK

Hmm, I don't know about that. I don't want to tell you why cos its a bit of a spoiler but lets just say that for now, I disagree with you with a valid reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I save after every mission for fear that the game will crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

what were the 100% bonueses in vice city like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Save only when your turning off the console.
    If your character ever dies, start an entirly new game.

The only way to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Save for weapons only , nice toi start a mission with lots of bullets.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I used to save after every mission to keep the gun but once
    I got the right girlfriends
    i don't bother anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i save all the time after every misision and sometimes might save do the mission fail as i need more guns then get them and save again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I save after every mission because if I don't, as sure as eggs are eggs, I'll do something stupid like blow myself up and then will become annoyed and maybe have a controller tantrum.

For the good of my sanity and well being I save quite a bit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

LeperKing wrote:
    2) Save every time you complete a mission....so you'll always have your weapons and keep your money. (My way at the moment!)

Like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

weemcd wrote:

Fire proof after completing fire missions.
    Health at 200. Goes to 150 after you finish pizza missions then 200 at 100%.
    Armour at 200. Goes to 150 after vigilante missions iirc, then 200 at 100%.
    Unlimited stamina after paramedic missions.
    You can recruit 2 bodyguards, but they are crap.
    Unlimited bullets.
    You possibly get a monetary bonus, I can't remember.

As for SA and playing style, save if I buy a load of crap in Ammunation or if I have collected a load of money. Saved after most missions out of fear of a crash. Now that I have finished the story missions I only save after doing a load of side things eg tags, horseshoes, clam shells, etc.

weemcd wrote:

Weapons/armour spawning in each of the hideouts
    Infinite ammo
    Health boosted to 200
    Armour boosted to 200
    Vehicles you drive/fly are twice as strong
    Hunter appears at the helipad beside the beach
    Tank appears in the military area
    Sea sparrow appears at the mansion
    Another T shirt

Not sure if I've left a few out or not but you can get the full list here:
    http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/grand_theft_auto_vice_city_100.txt

Just search for the text "Because you have now completed the game 100%" and its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Save only when your turning off the console.
    If your character ever dies, start an entirly new game.

The only way to play.

hard core...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

LeperKing wrote:

i like that i do that but i dont need to look for weapons i got cheats!!!!
    beautiful wonderful cheats!!!!!
    cheers
    helen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Save after every mission.

Its not the hard missions I'm afraid of, its the easy, long and tedious missions which I don't want to re-do!

I buy enough guns. Not too many, and I tend to buy property in an area where I do alot of work, or near mission spots.

THEZAPPA wrote:
    LeperKing wrote:

i like that i do that but i dont need to look for weapons i got cheats!!!!
    beautiful wonderful cheats!!!!!
    cheers
    helen :p

Cheats are grand but if you're looking to get 100% in the game, then cheating won't let you achieve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I save after most missions due to random crashing... after losing 2 or 3 hours of mission progress you learn to save regularly :(

• Advertisement

I save after most missions due to random crashing... after losing 2 or 3 hours of mission progress you learn to save regularly :(

What are you playing it on? PS2, XboX, or PC?

Mine is on PS2 and I've never seen it crash. I'm aware that it definately is possible tho (its happened to me on Vice City).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've got the PC version... very crashy by times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

I had got to the second half of the last mission and left it for a few days(had to go do exams) I came back and the save file on the memory card corrupted, I had to play the whole game again. Anyway as smellyirishman said, just play till you are going to turn it off.
    I hate having to drive around looking for a save point especially at the start of the game when you only own one or two properties

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

LeperKing wrote:
    Just started San Andreas,

Just wondering what peoples opinion on what way should the game be played for max enjoyment...

1) Only save when you're finished playing...even if you die or get attrested...

If anyone else has any ideas WITHOUT gving any spoilers, that would be great!

Cheers,
    LK
    i would just tell you to kill em all, and let God sort em out :)

Seriously though , as a rule i save every 30 mins play, or whenever i can get a save point close to the 30 mins mark.

I think I've gone to far in the storyline, to go back. (see spoiler)
    (Green sabre mission) My brother is now in hospital, and I get shot at, back in grove street. The thing is, I never took over all the neighbouring districts, and now I don't think I can do that anymore, can I still do this?

Thanks
    LK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think I've gone to far in the storyline, to go back. (see spoiler)
    That happens as part of the story missions. Even if you took 100% territory you lose it all anyway at that point of the story. Hence its a waste of time to do it then. Youll get your opportunity later - though even then taking 100% territory isnt necessary and doesnt add to your 100% completion score.

Thanks Sand

LK

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi,

I just got PC San Andreas and it rocks, it don't crash or anythin, it is da best. But I'm stuck :mad:, I am on learn to fly by Mike Toreano I think and I am on the third learn to fly tests, and I can't complete the thing, anyone got ideas? LOL, I'm getting very frustrated with it,

Cheers,

Nick ;)

What system are you playing it on? (PS2/XboX/PC)

The reason I ask is that I play it on PS2 and I'm not familiar with the controls on the other systems.

I think that you're on the "Circle Airstrip" mission. Here's how to turn:

Say you want to turn right. Well what you want to do is tilt the plane slightly so that its left wing is higher that the right one. Press R2 to adjust the fin at the back of the plane(I dunno what this is officially known as, I'm not a pilot) and let that do most of the work when turning. It takes a bit of practise, but when you get used to it, you'll be well able to fly any plane.

It took me ages to even to through the third corona properly if it makes you feel any better, I couldn't control the plane at all - it was swaying wildly in all directions.

Let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks a mil man, but I got past it finally the other day, I am using the PC version, the trick is not to accelerate to much and turn to quicky, I'm now well in to Los Venturas :)

Thanks,

Nick

Advertisement