Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you tried Football Special

Options
  • 02-08-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

How many people have heard of and/or tried a marvellous drink called Football Special? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've never heard of it. Whats in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 redraider

Football Special is a mixed fruit flavoured soft drink made by a company called Mc Daids in Ramelton Co Donegal ( I think ).

As far as I know it is only available in the Donegal area for some strange reason ( or maybe just Mc Daids have no nationwide distribution deal )

It was a favourite of mine as a kid on regular holidays to Donegal.

Recommend y'all to try it as it is unique :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well, if I'm ever in Donegal I'll be sure and give it a taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

for those of you who are not fortunate enought to live in donegal morgan's spiced rum mixed with coca cola tastes very, very similar...

...and it will get you through those long winter months until the summer holidays are upon us once more and you can take a trip to donegal and check out football special for yourselves.

apparently it was invented around the same time as under 18s football came to donegal. as far as i know it was customary for the winners to drink out of the trophy cup, normally done using whiskey, so it was created as a non-alcoholic alternative.

so there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I love it and I always end up buying loads of them when I'm leaving Donegal. I miss the glass bottles cos they taste better that way imo. I once tried the banana football special and it was horrible but expected really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

gonna be getting one next week when im up visiting the cousins \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's alright but it's no bananna special.

they've moved from ramelton to the dry arch business park in letterkenny

i was up there last week and my brother took home a case of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spatula3000

I live in Gaoth Dobhar(Gweedore) and theres football special in loads of shops around the place.
    I know when i was younger you could get it in places like sligo and derry but i haven't seen it anywhere other than Donegal in years.
    People down the country don't seem to know about it at all, i got very strange looks when i mentioned it to my flat mates last week(guess what i'm getting them for christmas, lol)

Also you usually get banana juice wherever you get the football special.
    x

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Football Special ftw! \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Fairly sure you can still get it in Derry in some small shops, is it true that it contains E numbers that would make it illegal to sell on any larger scale (I've also heard that story in relation to why its only ireland has red lemonade)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i love the stuff... haven't had it in years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The best soft drink ever!You have to have it out of a glass bottle tho.Plastic bottles are not as nice,pubs still get the glass bottles and you can buy crates direct from McDaids factory.

If you havent tried it I suggest you do!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JennieClyro

My mum brings me this back from Creeslough every year, this year one of the bottles burst in the car and my brother and i actually argued over who was having the remaining one like children. I'm 21 and he's 25!

It's a brilliant drink, brings back all the memories of my summer holidays as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

The best soft drink ever!You have to have it out of a glass bottle tho.Plastic bottles are not as nice,pubs still get the glass bottles and you can buy crates direct from McDaids factory.

If you havent tried it I suggest you do!:D
    nice one, i didnt know you could still get the glass ones, it just isnt the same in plastic. will be getting a crate next time im home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Yep - I've had Football Special too while I was up in Moville/Greencastle.

Don't think it travels though - never really see it anywhere but Donegal.

Nice enough drink TBH

Advertisement