Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drying Lining Screw Gun

Options
  • 02-08-2005 12:30pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

I have the option to get the loan of one of these screw guns for doing the slabbing in the hoose but already have the slabbing screws given to me for free for it.

Just wondering anyone any idea of how much a box of them screws might be for that gun, i know they come in a strip like for a machine gun?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi yop,

I don't use the new type of gun because I don't have enough use for them, I expect most suppliers would do a swap for the standard screws to the strip type.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As a guideline, on the Screwfix website in the UK they're about £10 per 1,000.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

fk is that all, I think for the work they will save me it would be worth it to go ahead and get them!

Cheers for that lads, appreciated. Shame screwfix don't ship to Eire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

The way to go is to use what is called a collated screw gun.
    Different guns are available on the market. Makita 6834 110v, being the more popular and less troublesome, Senco 110v, Senco 14.4v and Senco 18.0v, are also popular. The Milwaukee is a very good machine to work with, but it has given problems in the flimsy design of the head. Fein likewise is an excellent machine but falls down in the design of the head and is costly to repair.

The collated screws vary. All are 50 screws per plastic strip. The sizes vary
    from 25mm, 35mm, 45mm, 50mm, 55mm, being the most popular. 95% of these are supplied with a coarse thread.

Beware of cheap versions of the plastic strip as these give trouble in the
    gun. People tend to blame the gun and not the strip, they are using. The
    problem stems from china/taiwan where most of these strips come from. They
    are supplied with different thicknesses in the plastic and in some cases are
    too flimsy to properly collate in the gun and usually tear or spit out screws, and shag up the machine.
    On the otherhand if the plastic is too thick and wide, excess pressure causes wear on both the machine and the operator.

We have a supplier on our www.helpmebuildandrenovate.com who can be contacted for free samples.

Prices you would typically expect to pay on the 35mm collated are around €12.00 per 1000. The average 3 bed semi block built uses approx 4-5k screws. A timberframed version upto around 8-9k.

Typical rates on the Makita 6834 110v are around €325.00, with the plastic
    replacement head around €75-€90.

From talking with contractors they do not recommend the 12v Makita
    battery version. I think these guns are up around the 500 mark.

All the best,
    Andy
    http://www.helpmebuildandrenovate.com

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cheers Harto, it is a Senco 18.0v that we have, I presume we should be using the 35mm screws on 1/2 plasterboard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 e.hartery

yep. 35mm for 1/2 board. if u are double slabbing use a 50mm or 55mm. the senco 18.0v, uses screws upto 75mm, but the problem is that few people have the longer screws. lol. that is a good machine though.

there is another sysyem out at the mo which covers a lot of different collated screw applications. www.quikdrive.com or .co.uk

Advertisement