Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting to GAS

Options
  • 02-08-2005 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Read in one of the Sunday Papers about gas conversion got me thinking
    70 cent a litre eco friendly you will loose a bit of performance and will consume 15 - 20 % more but surely not enough to warrent 110 a litre

If one was to buy a good used performance car thinking a Lexus Merc BMW 5 series for aroud the 18000 Euro mark and spend 2K on the conversion you should end up with a pretty good machine for 20 grand as all the high engine cars seem to be dropping in price big time

Anyone got any experience with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

On modern multipoint injection engines lpg technology has come on a long way.Power loss is negligable.LPG has a greater octane count and gas specific engines can run serious bhp (700 enough for ya). A mate in the uk runs his jeep (4Ltr I think) on gas and says it's the way to go. I'm in the process of sticking a system in my 5.7 ltr chevy. Up north lpg is 34p a litre so if you live or visit that direction.... Can see it getting popular soon the way petrol prices are going.Some manus do bifuel versions of their range now I think. €2000 should get you whatever you want, I budgeted €700 for mine but thats DIY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

see, it may be of use for those 740 engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Here in the Netherlands, and in other countries on the continent Gas/LPG is extremely popular. The new systems on the market nowadays are so much more refined on modern engines, the old downsides like power loss and backfire etc. are nonexistent anymore. A lot of manufacturers fit LPG systems off factory delivery.

Especially with the petrol/diesel prices creaping up, LPG is becoming an even more interesting alternative. In holland the fuel prices are linked to the Road Tax system, so if you drive Diesel and LPG you pay a much higher Road Tax, but the fuel is much cheaper. You pay about 1.30 for petrol here !!!!!! compared to about 92 cents for Diesel, and 44 cents per litre of LPG !!!!!!!

A lot of people have been drawing the logical conclusion by eliminating high petrol costs AND Annual Road Tax altogether, and have opted for a Classic on LPG gas!!! No road tax for cars over 25 years of age AND cheap fuel. That's why so many classics on the market here are all kitted out with a Gas conversion. Because the law is so stringent and here we DO have yearly NCT tests on ALL cars including classics, these systems are checked yearly and MUST comply to the correct safety laws, so there's no fiddling with cheap and chearful old gastanks in the boot.

The problem is Ireland is unfortunately getting the stuff. In Holland 70% of all petrol stations have an LPG outlet, in Ireland there's possibly only 10 outlets selling LPG in the entire country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Only last night I saw an article on teh TV about LPG cars. While the Hybrids have the centerstage, LPG versions of the popular versions are apparently available directly from the factory also, Nissan/Toy/Honda have some models, but not well advertized from teh sounds of it.

Advertisement