Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No tax book- What to do?

Options
  • 02-08-2005 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi i bought a used car about 6 weeks ago - private sale. I haven't received the tax book despite contacting the seller loads of times - he seems to be advoiding my calls - what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As a last resort get a few parking fines, etc. According to the Motor Tax office the car is still registered to the previous owner until they receive the change of ownership form from the seller. After receiving a few summonses for parking fines in the post they will get the finger out very fast.

It really amazes me why someone cannot do something as simple as fill out the back of a form and post it off. 5 mins of their time and its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Firstly,was the car his to sell?
    Was the Tax book in his name? is the car owned by a H/P company?
    maybe you should investigate further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

If you go under the bood and get the chasis number and give that plus the reg to the aa they can go a back track for €30 and tell you exactly everything that has happened to that car. This will tell you weather it was fully his or not to sell... if it was the oul speeding fine is always a good one to get him to shift. Or you can tell him the car was stolen, used in a hit and run and the gards are looking to speak with the registered owner i.e. him and that should make him get the finger out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Contact the VRT office and ask for a new one issued. They will write to the current owner and state that they intend to issue one to you unless he objects.

Lets hope it's not a car on HP otherwise you will find yourself carless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Did you see the logbook when you bought the car? You are supposed to fill the box on the back of it once the sale is agreed and if you didn't, then I'd do as BrianD says but include a copy of the receipt and any bank details which show the drawing of a draft or cheque.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just contact the tax office. Tell them the story. It's no real skin off your nose unless you want to sell it now. It's not your fault that the usless twit hasn't sent the logbook in. I take it this motor is pre-93?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

I do want to sell the car - I paid cash for it - it's an car 97 Almera - right I'm going to get on to the VRT office - will let ye know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

edengarden wrote:
    I do want to sell the car - I paid cash for it - it's an car 97 Almera - right I'm going to get on to the VRT office - will let ye know!

did you see the logbook at the time of purchase? Guy may not be registered owner and VRT office may not give you correct name

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Do you mind me asking what piece of paper you signed or have in your posession now? A 97 motor should have a Vehicle Licencing Certificate, not a Log book!!!

Advertisement