Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

80s comedies V Todays comedies

• 02-08-2005 1:16pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok I watched the brilliant Planes,Trains and Automobiles last night and it was just so much better than the crappy teen comedies etc that we have today.
    The 80s had such fantastic comedies that are just so much funnier than most around today. For example:

Ghostbusters
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles,
    Trading Places,
    Coming to America,
    Ferris Buellers Day Off,
    The Blues Brothers,

There are some exceptions such as The Big Lebowski which are absolute classics but compared the 80s comedies were generally funnier.

Im interested in hearing peoples views and post up ur favourite comedies too

Do you prefer 80s comedies or more recent comedies? 13 votes

80s comediest were the best
    0% 0 votes
    The more recent comedies are the best
    84% 11 votes
    They are both equally good
    15% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

a complete decade and you name 6 movies, I'm sure there have been more than one and at least six classic comedy movies in the last ten years, but then again it comes down to taste doesn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Baz_ wrote:
    a complete decade and you name 6 movies, I'm sure there have been more than one and at least six classic comedy movies in the last ten years, but then again it comes down to taste doesn't it?

They were examples there Baz. What do you want me to do, post every comedy from the 80s? Then post every comedy that I think was good in the 90s?

Your right it is a matter of opinion hence the reason I POSTED UP THE POLL!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Yeah liked:
    Ghostbusters
    Golden Child
    Beverly Hills Cop
    Naked Guns (were they the 80s)
    The Jerk
    Top Secret
    Nightmare on Elm Street (I'd classify that as a comedy)
    And a few others. Don't think they hold their appeal now. I mean a comedy is supposed to make you laugh but don't find these funny anymore, but in their time they were classics. Suppose you could compare 80s tv comedies (Only Fools and Horses, etc) to todays and they would not be necessarily better.
    Would'nt say they were better in the 80's I mean there are very good comedies in the 90s/00s:

The American Pies
    A lot of the Jim Carrey films
    Rush Hours
    Leslie Nielson
    And more I'm sure but as you say its just peoples opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

was top secret not late 70's ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

s8n wrote:
    was top secret not late 70's ??

No it was in 1984 according to imdb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I prefer the 80's comedies. Far more original. Since American Pie all we have had was really dumb gross out comedies. And anyway Porkies did them much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Anchorman
    Old School
    Dodgeball
    Zoolander
    Waynes World 1/2

To name a few from the 90s/00s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Super Troopers
    Rushmore
    Royal Tenenbaums
    The Life Aquatic
    O Brother Where Art Thou?

Heh Heh. Oh how I laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Wes Andersons films are hardly just normal comedy. I'd never classify one of his films as just a comedy film.

The 80's and late 90's/early 00's both have terrible, horrible comedies and brilliant ones.

Best of the 80's is probably Planes, Trains and Automobiles and the Blues Brothers. Best of now is probably Office Space and Old School.

I'm not sure the when the Vacation movies with Chevy Chase(excluding the Vegas one) were made, I've found them pretty funny throughout my whole life.

Advertisement