Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small Spare Wheel - Problem???

Options
  • 02-08-2005 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello all,

I have a 206GTi which runs on 17" wheels. My spare is only the Stock 15" whell however. What are the best ways around this situation? Can you get those 'Get Home Sprays' which allow you to get home? Or will these only work on certain types of tyre? Is it possible/advisable to run with the 15" for a while? I can't see this doing the car much good...

Any other suggestions? :confused:

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

You would get away with it, providing you bring your car straight to the garage and dont do any decent speed while getting there. obviously it would be better if the spare was 17" so driving fast for a while with 1 wheel smaller than the others can throw your suspension off line and screw up your tracking.

Best advice, if you have to use the space saver wheel put it on and get to the nearest garage slowly and get your allow fixed. Do not run on a 15" for a while though!

The one thing I was very happy with was when I got my 306gti my spare wheel they actually gave me a 5th alloy!!! Well impressed with that I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you do get a puncture on the front, swap the back wheel for the 15" and put the good 17" on the front. It'll do for a while and the car won't loose that much handling!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't ever go over 80km/h on one of those spare wheels

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Del2005 wrote:
    If you do get a puncture on the front, swap the back wheel for the 15" and put the good 17" on the front. It'll do for a while and the car won't loose that much handling!
    Unless of course the back wheels are wider than the front (as with my own!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say you may be better of with some of the "get me home" spray, although the tyre place may charge you more for repairing a tyre full of that crap, and it also means that you have to get it done while you wait.

Surely 1" height difference would be quite drastic? Would it make sense to slightly lower the pressure in the other three tyres while the 15" is on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

bite the bullet and buy a second hand 17. it doesn't matter if it matches the others or if it's not as wide but it'll do for getting you home. that or make sure the overall rolling size of the 15 matches the 17 and drive slowly

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote:
    I'd say you may be better of with some of the "get me home" spray, although the tyre place may charge you more for repairing a tyre full of that crap, and it also means that you have to get it done while you wait.
    my understanding was that many tyre centres will not repair a tyre full of that crap. I may be mis-informed though.
    seamus wrote:
    Surely 1" height difference would be quite drastic? Would it make sense to slightly lower the pressure in the other three tyres while the 15" is on?
    As long as the rolling radius (total diameter of tyre, not wheel) is the same or v. similar it shouldn't be that bad - just don't go too fast as already mentioned.
    Decreasing tyre pressures in the 3 other wheels is just asking for an accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kbannon wrote:
    my understanding was that many tyre centres will not repair a tyre full of that crap. I may be mis-informed though.
    Well I did get one fixed, but it was a bike tyre, and a bike shop, so bit of a difference.
    Decreasing tyre pressures in the 3 other wheels is just asking for an accident!
    Ah yes, if done incorrectly. I suppose the amount of time and effort it would take to properly balance the 4 tyres wouldn't be worth it. I wasn't thinking of rolling radius of course. I guess most people with 17" wheels go for low-profile tyres.

Advertisement