Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Search to a site

Options
  • 02-08-2005 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good search script that I can add to a PHP/mySQL site? A free one would be nice, but I don't mind paying. I have been looking at a program called SiteXpert which looks good.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Is all your page data on mysql then? you could create a custom script if your site is layed out good. it would be hard to get a script that would do the job automatically without having the change a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Yeah, I created one before for a site where keywords were added along with the entry and you could then search for the keywords. Not an ideal solution but it worked well for that particular site.
    What I like about the SiteXpert package is that you can schedule a robot to crawl your site every day to pick up any new data entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Yeah, I created one before for a site where keywords were added along with the entry and you could then search for the keywords. Not an ideal solution but it worked well for that particular site.
    What I like about the SiteXpert package is that you can schedule a robot to crawl your site every day to pick up any new data entered.

Yeah, it seems like a decent solution alright. And it also doesn't matter if your site is dynamic or not, as all the information will be indexed from the web pages anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

This one looks even better:

http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

I know this is slightly off topic but the use of msn's rss feeds using the site search feature would be a good alterntive .. just pull in the search direct from msn .. this wouldnt be the best idea for a high volume searches but im sure it would be an east work around if you didnt want to do all the grunt work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement