Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealer Garage Service Gaurantees

Options
  • 02-08-2005 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I remember reading a report not so long ago that a survey and inspection was done in regards to servicing and repairs of cars in garages. It stated that certain common faults went unnoticed.

Am i right in saying that a dealer/garage does not gaurantee routine maintenance of your vehicle. What i mean is that if you suspect that a garage has not done a proper job what can you do as a comeback.

I was advised never tell the garage what you think is wrong as they change or fix it even if its not the cause of the problem to up the bill. While fixing the cause of the problem or just not bothering to fix it anyway.

I know a bit about cars but not how to take them apart and put them together again. I trust am mechanic (Opel Dealer) but wonder are doing a 100% job as i feel that they are missing certain things.

Does anyone have any ideas about the above.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Don't know if this helps, but I use a main dealer to service my car. Part of the reason is that it's still under the manufacturers warranty and I would like to keep the warranty (another 2 years left). Anyhow, the service interval is 12,000 miles and there are standard costs for each interval e.g. a 12,000 mile service is about €175 whereas the 24,000 is about €240. These prices are set by the manufactuer rates, so they cannot sway too far from this. Anything else is then covered by the warranty. So I tell the dealer if I notice anything wrong at all! If they miss it I just bring the car back. Demand service and you'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Cheers Jayok

I have a 99 Astra am afraid, the car is 100% but time is seen it slow down. I know whats wrong with the car and how to fix it but i dont know how to get the dealer to fix it without screwing me over.

E.g. The car is not as responsive as what it was a month or two ago. Possible problem i reckon is that there is a carbon deposit build up on the throttle body and a clean out with carb cleaner would solve this. I dont know how to take it apart and put it back together tho.

So do i just tell the dealer this or give them hits to see if they'll catch it himselves which i think they are failing to do.

kluivert wrote:
    So do i just tell the dealer this or give them hits to see if they'll catch it himselves which i think they are failing to do.

Personally, I would tell the dealer the problem you are experiencing. If they investigate and find nothing they shouldn't charge you unless something special is required (not likely ECUs do everything nowadays). If they do find a problem, tell them to ring you first before fixing anything to let you know what the problem is and the associated cost. I think this is the very least you should expect. I would certainly not entertain a dealer that "found" a problem "fixed it" and then tries to charge you for it. Be clear when leaving in the car that you must be contacted first.

Incidentally, did you search the web for any technical service bulletins on this issue? It could be a "known" issue that requires a cetain fix and maybe Opel has issued this - if so there would be an issue description and cost for fix.

I'll search to see if I can find anything.

Jeez, I'm having a bad day, need to read your post more closely! Ok, so you reckon it's a carbon build up? Fair enough, not an expert on these engines, but if carbon is building up then something is allowing the carbon to build(normally airflow, etc is controlled to prevent this happening). Cleaning the carbon may solve your problem now, but may not prevent it reoccuring. Possibly one of the air/fuel flow sensors is running rich and causing the carbon build-up to occur? Normally these carbons are burned.

So, ok done a small search of the UK websites AFTER I remembered to change Opel Astra to Vauxhall Astra :)

It seems to point to a potential problem with one of the sensors that make up the airflow into the engine. I found a number of records / references to the Astra slowing/dying/stalling/hesistating. The recommended solution for this is checking the ECU which will tell you the failed sensor. The dealer should have the equipment to do this.

As an example of a link I found:
    http://www.atpelectronics.co.uk/hinttips/gmac14hm.htm

It's just a sample, but there's many references to it.

Ok, so I don't know what's wrong, but if other people are experiencing this and this is what they done (check ECU) I'd follow their lead. Anyhow, you might want to search some more.

It would be nice to have the info before you go to the dealer, but you could need the carbon removed and the sensor replaced. Again, the ECU has information we require. If only we could read it...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

kluivert wrote:
    I was advised never tell the garage what you think is wrong as they change or fix it even if its not the cause of the problem to up the bill. While fixing the cause of the problem or just not bothering to fix it anyway.

Not being smart here but How in gods name is a dealer supposed to fix something if they dont know what the complaint is.
    Ive been working in the trade for 10 years now and the above is a total misconception.
    A standard service is exactly that "A standard service" based on mileage usually 10,000 mile intervals.
    It consists of "usually" Oil change,air filter,plugs(diesel filter) lights,levels,brake check BUT NOTHING ELSE unless you specify a particular problem.A main dealer will not inflate the bill because you asked for a problem to be looked at unless theyre being less than professional.

Our policy is to ask a customer if they have any other problems they want checked out when they book their service ie rattles,knocking noises etc.

We ask them to give a list if possible of any problems and ALL and ANY specified problems are dealt with at the time.
    Hope this helps.
    Richie

• Advertisement

Richie

Cheers for that if they where more people like you in the trade, its rep. would certain improve. This dealer in Monaghan is very very good but my last service i asked for them to change the brake pads, that was done but they never bleed the brakes.

I nearly crashed twice last nite from running into the back of people who braked hard.

Ok Richie i am doing up a list of things to be done but i am going to ask them to ring me should anything need to be done futher...this sound right yeah?

Thanks for the advise.

By the way i had a 94 Clio and i use to take it to the local garage man at the bottom of the road. He is in his 70's and the best mechanic i ever meet. He does it for the cars and not the money. He restored a 1972 MG it was beautiful when it was finished, a real credit to him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

kluivert wrote:

Ok Richie i am doing up a list of things to be done but i am going to ask them to ring me should anything need to be done futher...this sound right yeah?

Thats the way I would do it.Get them to quote for everything and ask them not to fit anything until they contact you.We ask for an email if possible so that its all in writing especially if we know the customer has concerns regarding being ripped off.
    If you want to be doubly sure ask the garage to keep the old parts for inspection by yourself after theyve changed them.

Sounds like you have a good service policy there.

Thanks for the advise again.

Advertisement