Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conveyancy charges

Options
  • 02-08-2005 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Anyone got any advice on the cheapest way to transfer ownership? Most people just go to their local solicitor who'll charge crazy money (like 1.5%-2%!!!). I've heard there's a company that'll transfer all deeds etc. for €495. Is this true? Anyone used this kind of service before and how did it all work out in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note it it fee + expenses.

Some of the deals are based on you switching mortgage, which may not be appropriate for their circumstances.

Certainly there are solicitors willing to do it for €1,000, assumming its straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Straight forward to me would assume a house in a suburban location where the title involves a basic plot of land and where there is no management company or entries on the land folio other than past conveyances and or mortgage arrangements.

If there is either a management company structure involved in managing the perimeter of the property or rights of way in the land registry folio I would spend a little more on a solicitor who has sufficient experience dealing in the area of Conveyance. If it is an apartment go through an experienced solicitor, 495 will not cover the time for a proper examination of all the documentation involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Most people just go to their local solicitor who'll charge crazy money (like 1.5%-2%!!!).

1% is more common unless it is a very small transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I haven't heard of the 495 figure but have heard of solictors that charge 999 fixed fee and have heard good reports about the service provided. These quotes will be for the solictors fee only. VAT and outlays will be extra

1% is the usual fee. Again this doesn't include VAT or outlays. So on a 300,000 house you're looking at 3000. If you shop around and ask for a discount you'll usually get it. They might knock 500-1000 or more off the fee. Fixed price wil still probably work out cheaper.

Get a written quote before you choose who to go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

BrianD3 wrote:
    1% is the usual fee. Again this doesn't include VAT or outlays. So on a 300,000 house you're looking at 3000. If you shop around and ask for a discount you'll usually get it. They might knock 500-1000 or more off the fee. Fixed price wil still probably work out cheaper.

Do you think 3,000 on a 300k transaction represents good value for money? A couple of documents + an hour or two = €3,000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

If you are a member of a credit union you can avail of a service there. They offer to members a fixed fee I think of around €1k plus VAT plus costs (costs e.g. Land Register). Everything is done over the phone, internet or post so things can tend to take a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lavenderlady

Hi
    Anyone know typical current fees for conveyance in rural Leinster area? Is it still roughly 1% of sale value. Straight forward- deeds from bank, no changes to home since purchase
    We need to sell our house and also transfer plot of land from my dad to me
    Also really interested to know typical payment structure i.e. is it at end of process or staged payments throughout time the solicitor is dealing with same
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's more commonly a fixed fee these days. The searches (and stamp duty on the buying side) are either fixed fees or related to the sale price so only the fee is negotiable between different solicitors. You usually pay in one go, possibly with the contract deposit - if selling, when sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lavenderlady

Thanks for that- really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also cheap isn't always best. You want a solicitor who will ensure its all done correctly, that they have checked everything and no nasty surprises afterwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement